Punchestown Festival 2017

I missed the finish of the gold cup today as the stream on my phone cut out. Trying to watch it again on the ATR app, but the replays don't appear to be there anymore. Haven't used the app in a while, has something changed? Has the replay facility been removed permanently?

Full race and/or closing stages both available on ATR results section.

I refuse to comment due to my horrifically bad run, but I've taken plenty of 25/1 for the next Champion Chase.

sorely tempted to have a lumpy bet at the price. though it'll be something of a white knuckle experience watching it i'd imagine.

Great Field tomorrow...yeah or nah?

He's probably evens to make a race ending mistake so not value.

The GC today was a fantastic race to watch. Coneygree ran much better than most expected and I'd say the other two pretty much ran to form. The 2f less was always going to suit Djakadam today and although it closed the gap it still wasn't quite enough to end the race with his nose in front.

God knows how they campaign him next season. The Ryanair looks ideal for him but the yard already have one for that.

I am there tomorrow and will be having a lumpy cash bet on Great Field to pay for the trip

Only other bet will be Uknowhatimeanharry EW if I can get 9/2+

3:40 Pinkie Brown 25/1 Skybet 6 places. Was 5th in this race last year as a 4 year old off the exact same mark, but has a claimer taking 7lbs off tomorrow. Been Novice chasing this season, with some solid form which is all on better ground. Chase Mark is 137 and runs off 120 over hurdles tomorrow. Throw in the claim and all told he's 24lbs lower than his current chase mark! And because he's been chasing, the natural progression from a 4 to 5 year old isn't factored into his hurdles mark. Mulholland is a shrewd trainer and I'm taking a view that since Cheltenham he's been schooling him back over hurdles with this in mind. I've had a healthy each way bet.

Had a close look at Greatfield;s jumping errors

I thought the one at the 2nd last was more the jockeys fault than the horses.
Most of the time you can get away with allowing the horse to do his own thing but he made the wrong choice and the horse took off a stride too close.

The time before was a typical novice mistake and the one at the last he seemed to unluckily stick his hoof into a false bit of ground which caused him to stumble and almost unseated his jockey.

The bookies seem to have factored the possibility of a fall into his price but I am happy enough with his jumping overall to take advantage and get stuck in.

Ball D.Arc has always been held up, he looks the danger but he isn't very likely to take Great field on from go and giving him an easy lead isn't a great idea.

Unless he does fall which I doubt I can't see anything having the pace to go with him or catch him. The way he ran away from Don't Touch It and Identity Thief when they tried to close on him before his error was breathtaking.

Only other bet for me is Sutton Place. I have never been convinced about Harry and NC is totally unreliable.

I'll take my chances that Sutton Place proves to be a better horse than both over this trip

So Labaik goes for the champion and DR is the pilot

Intriguing
Intriguing indeed. IIRC wasn't there something about the whip that is used at the start in the UK being different to the one used in Ireland? I think at Cheltenham Elliot said something to the effect that the UK version is bigger and makes a louder noise which they felt encouraged Labaik to jump off in the Supreme.

If Ruby again manages to put NC to sleep for first 2 miles, then he has too much speed and is the value bet at anything over 6/4. I would've liked to see Footpad bigger than 20/1 so I'm going to wait till near the off see if the betfair prices get better for him as I think he has a good e/w shot.

Intriguing indeed. IIRC wasn't there something about the whip that is used at the start in the UK being different to the one used in Ireland? I think at Cheltenham Elliot said something to the effect that the UK version is bigger and makes a louder noise which they felt encouraged Labaik to jump off in the Supreme.

It's technically not a whip but makes a whipping noise.

They don't use one on Irish racetracks - this is why he probably was going to go to the UK sales. He could be a more attractive option for a UK owner given he will get more support at take off on a British track

GE said the ride is still Kennedy's but they had to do something different for Friday

I absolutely love Sutton Place and while he's had the speed to win over 2 miles, the hurdles course at Punchestown is pretty sharp and it's no wonder Nichols Canyon is unbeaten in 3 races here. With his blend of speed and stamina Nichols is a cracking bet at 5/2 and bigger.

Great Field wins if he stands up so I've hoovered a number of family members' accounts and availed of Corals 11/8, with the faller insurance to the max on each account.

Don't Touch It was an e/w bet to nothing with Paddy at 5s this morning as it's hard to see him being out the four.

Last edited:
3/1 Nichols Canyon taken with Betfred. Also on Sutton Place at 25s ew ante-post (so wasn't too disappointed when he was withdrawn at Fairyhouse)
Great Field a great bet with faller insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nor Saturday, I see Kevin Blake says a mare can run up to 180 days after being in foal but can't see what else there would be for her realistically (French CH ?)

Thanks for the memories Annie

Grande Course de Haies d'Auteuil is run on 11th June this year, and the Prix la Barka (traditional trial race) is on 20th May.

We might still see her race again yet.

Guess your talking about the Long Tom?Very effective when the old woman misbehaves

Back