Racecourse Entry Fee

Krizon some of the things that you have mentioned do not come into the calculations on a regular basis. In buisness there are one off payments and regular payments. Some of the services provided are from outside sources and some of which paid for by the regulator/trainer and or have to be there in law. If racing cannot provide value for money it will fall by the wayside and the people you have mentioned will no longer have any employment. Now you have mentioned the courses out goings and as you are knowledgeable on the subject, can you now please tell me what income is generated from the expenditure you have accounted for.

What aren't regular? The one-off's are new buildings, like a new grandstand, a new stable block, and so on, or modifications to the track (think Ascot!), which you hope won't be needed for at least 100 years. Those are capital costs which may or may not apply, and fall outside the remit of the non-capital expenditure budgets, which are what I'm talking about.

Everything I've mentioned are costs to be covered on a regular basis by the course. None of them are capital costs. They are running costs: labour, supply, and maintenance expenditures.

You can work out income for yourself: look at every course's website and see how much they charge for Annual Membership, how much they charge for their enclosures, how much they charge for their restaurants, their hospitality boxes, race sponsorship, on-course advertising, non-racing events such as weddings, exhibitions and conferences, and you'll have an idea of their annual income. Don't forget to figure in their picture rights. Every course is individual and some have very many more facilities than others: contrast 'n' compare Plumpton's one restaurant and one day members' bar, plus a couple of wagons, to Goodwood's 20+ permanent restaurants and bars. You would need to know which facilities were run by the course, and which were contracted or franchised out, to know whether the course drew a direct income or not from each. There you go - a bit of homework for you!

Probably better still, ring up their accounting office and ask for a copy of their Annual Report (you mightn't get it unless you know one of the directors, though).

Last edited:
I thought everyone knew that, hence my remark about the absence of bookies, Gamla. It's true, and it's really what we should try to have happen here. Bookies are putting ferkall back, comparatively, into supporting UK racing. But asking British gamblers to forego their bookie and exchange betting in favour of the Tote probably wouldn't work. There'd be a powerful lobby launched by the bookies against shop closures and 'thousands out of work', and I dare say that the Treasurer wouldn't be best pleased seeing a nice little earner dry up, so there'd be no govt. support for a Tote monopoly here, even in the face of it working so well elsewhere.

I paid my first visit to Newcastle for the Fighting Fifth 2 years ago. Loved the City, loved the racecourse. What struck me was that so many of the people there actually knew something about racing as well as how to have a good time.

Planning to go again.

Monster crowd - best in 10 years, at little Lingfield tonight. Six Class 5 and 6 on the turf, and the prospect of an evening ladies' night with singers and fireworks didn't deter a big turnout of Os & Ts and even regular racegoers.

Gates opened 2.5 hours before racing, giving everyone the chunky part of 8 hours socializing and fun for £20, £10 students and OAPs, kids under 16 free.

Loads of very pretty young girls in the most gorgeous, pretty and colourful dress, fantastic high heels and very lovely hats arrived by the coachload - much to the joy of our gatemen, whose eyes haven't lit up this much in years! The crowd was late teens to early 30s in the main, and I don't think I've seen a racecourse where it looked so much like just a big, extended garden party. Everyone was having a terrific time - loads of al fresco eating and extra bars (like Pimms) put on and all doing great trade.

Last year, they overcharged, tapping folks for £25 and trying to tap them for the same even if they only wanted the racing OR the music. They've learned well and got their just rewards. I even decided to stay, watch Hayley win the last, and munch a very delicious burger, just crowd-watching. Just how racing should be - no-one gave a flying potato about the level of the horses' ratings, everyone mixed together very happily - true egalitarianism - they just loved watching them fly down the turf, and doing a bit of flirting, giggling, and showing off their gorgeous clothes. Great stuff!

Last edited:
I paid my first visit to Newcastle for the Fighting Fifth 2 years ago. Loved the City, loved the racecourse. What struck me was that so many of the people there actually knew something about racing as well as how to have a good time.

Planning to go again.

Dont, It was *&^%$££ awful, never going again.

Loads of very pretty young girls in the most gorgeous, pretty and colourful dress, fantastic high heels and very lovely hats arrived by the coachload

I'd say the qualified riders were out in force as well...

Went to Leopardstown on Thursday for the first time this summer (EUR30 into the "Bulmers Feast" for a work do). What a joke the whole thing is...

So Krizon you have now said that Lingfield was busy when they dropped the entrance fee, but have earlier said the course cannot afford to do so. I am now confused:confused: ( my smiles have worked on this thread also???)

Having just become an OAP, I started scrutinizing the racecourse websites in high excitement, expecting lots of lovely discounts. Erm... Windsor particularly disgraceful - no discounts whatsoever. Brighton, considerably better.

If you were to look at that age ratio I would have thought this would be an area to market especially for midweek meetings. When Ben is at work!!!!!! Unless Ben is into corporate entertaing at the racecourse of course.

Toobe - it's confusing, I know! Bear with me: last year, Lingfield asked £25 from punters when they ran music nights. When punters said they didn't want the music, just the racing (and vice versa) they were told too bad, it's £25 or bust. This year, they've seen the errors of their ways, and dropped a fiver off the price - plus, I have to be honest, they've also added a lot more to the evenings this season. Last year, there was just a bit of C-list stuff on a very crappy little stage at the front of the grandstands, no fireworks, no competitions, no big choice of eateries and drinkeries.

So, with lots more to hold people's interest, and the stage wisely consigned to the lawns near the pre-parade ring, where it is much more comfortable to see it, we've had a really significant uptake. Another factor was that last year we had some fairly awful evening weather - which we couldn't do anything about, of course, and which meant that instead of the madding hordes anticipated, there were only around 700-800 hanging about in drizzle for the show to start.

Going back to your desire to see people in for free - no way, though. I've already given you enough details of many of the major costs involved in keeping a racecourse going, so I think you've got the idea about that!

Pricing was kept within a reasonable range this year, so that even if anyone just wanted to come for the singers, they got fireworks and lots of food and drink choices to go with it, and £20 - unlike £25, which seems to be veering off into the 'too high' bracket - seems to be very affordable. Going by what had been spent by the girlies on their outfits, I imagine it is!

Midweek meetings don't attract like Saturday nights, I'm afraid. If you have a pretty course alongside the river, like Windsor, then their Monday night meetings are very well attended, because people tend to make a whole-day event. They arrive and take a boat ride on the river, or visit the Castle, and some lunch, then mid-afternoon toddle across to the course for an evening's entertainment.

Dilys: one thing which seems to drive prices is who owns the courses. Arena Leisure and Northern Racing own the middle-to-lower end of the market. Jockey Club Estates the higher. Epsom, for example, according to my colleague who also works there, was even charging three separate bands of entry fee for their two enclosures! They were charging for children aged 5-10, 11-15, then adults. Now, come onnn! Charging for under-16s seems particularly gouging to me, especially as this was for the music meetings, when you might expect lots of younger people to want to attend, even with Mum and Dad! We also got a lot of much younger children attending Lingfield, too, which was so nice to see. They enjoyed romping around on the lawns, sitting on rugs, and having fun looking at the nice horseys.

Actually, I don't believe you did, now I think about it - you suggested that where racing dropped below - was it Class 3? - courses didn't charge more than a tenner. Which is exactly what Lingfield is charging, except on its music nights and for its own premier racedays, when it's £20, £25 to the NH crowd.

A foot in mouth moment.:o

Back on page 2 of this thread Tulia Tellwright's ancestors were discussed in connection with her being employed by the Racing Post.

When I was at Ffos Las I got into chatting with Guy Lewis's mother. Mrs. Lewis works for Northern Racing as a hostess (nothing naughty meant by that!). I asked how Guy was getting on and she said that he was working (within the racing industry) up in Leeds and that it wasn't ideal. As we had been discussing Tulia on here I mentioned that it would perhaps help if Guy was descended from William I. Yes, you've guessed it, Guy is a direct descendant of William I.

Small world innit?

Back