Racing Post Charge

Yeah, I'm getting:

Membership: £7.50 p/m

Tipping: £9.50 p/m (on top of Membership)

Racing UK Live: £7.50 p/m (on top of Membership)

Racing UK Replays (50 replays p/m): £5.50 p/m (on top of Membership)

Ultimate Membership (all of the above, but with Unlimited Replays ): £19.95 p/m or £199.95 p/a

Just got the email, which included this:

As an existing video subscriber, you have been upgraded at no extra charge to our Ultimate membership (Racing UK live & replays + Membership + Tipping) for the remainder of your annual contract.

Which is nice.

Just joined full membership, its not bad value at £200, basically £16.50 a month, which is only £1.50 more than paying for RUK online, quite happy with that tbh.

Isnt there a pretty significant time delay with RUK on line via the Racing Post? I remember watching Cheltenham on it one year and the race was well finished on tv but they were still running on the PC/

Could be, also depends on how good your connection is as buffering will cause you to lose time.

@colin: twas 4.95 basic membership, +2.95 for replays when I first checked this morning. two hours later the before mentioned prices were up. at 9am this morning it would have been 7.90 for theses two services, now its 13.45!!! quite an increase I would say.

Yep, 07:30 this morning it was definitiely £4-95, now £7-50 - numpties.

But at least 'last 5 seasons' trainer/jockey record is back.

Deliberating how much value it is for me, as I quite enjoy keeping my own 'form analysis.'

MR2

I am paying £20 a month service only works out £5 a week dont see what the fuss is about, bloody great value.

Just read the Terms and Conditions. Is this bit anything to be wary of?

"The Interactive Services may be operated by third parties and where they are this will be made clear to you. Where such Interactive Services are operated by a third party you may be asked to supply information and/or data (including, without limitation, financial, credit card and/or bank data), where that third party may have specific additional terms and conditions which apply. Further, when using such Interactive Services operated by such third parties, you will be dealing with them directly and as such any contracts and/or arrangements will be formed between you and them, without Centurycomm Limited as a party and Centurycomm Limited cannot be held liable for your use of or any liability arising out of the same (save to the extent required by law)." (My italics.)

It's the unlimited information bit that bothers me - or am I just being over-cautious?

Last edited:
It's fantastic. I can get the close up comments for free, and the absolute tripe 'analysis' is blocked. I'd have paid them £8 to do this, never mind not to do it!

Does the full online version newspaper still have to be bought separately?

Surely the opinion pieces and columns (virtually the only thing not online since the quotes showed up) should be included in the package?

I am paying £20 a month service only works out £5 a week dont see what the fuss is about, bloody great value.

That's £240 a year. That seems very expensive.

I suppose if you follow racing in some depth every day it might be construed as some kind of value but I only do Saturdays and some festival meetings. I'm not paying that kind of money on top of what I already pay for the form book.

Don't kid yourselves, within a year or two they'll be charging for the full database.

The onus has to be on the BHA to develop their own free to use alternative, otherwise racing will risk losing a whole generation of customers.

Please send me the cheque in the post BHA, I'm not as expensive as most consultants you engage

there is nothing in the RP that can give you an edge..all the ratings are factored into prices

which means as a free tool its useful..as a pay tool its a waste of money as you will never get back what you are paying..if thats important to you of course

I am happy to use whats there and all the other stuff thats knocking about for nothing

as Warbler says..its just another nail in the coffin for the long term..no one with a fringe interest in racing will pay..they will just drift towards poker and other sports

racing is slipping back into the 1950's imo...

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'll probably end up paying to hardly use it; features I want/need to use include bloodstock stats and stuff that I only use every month or so yet can't really find the information anywhere else. Which is pretty damned annoying really but what can you do?

Same here although you could get the bloodstock info from equineline.com. On the other hand, a website like theirs costs a fortune to run and has impacted on their print sales hugely, so I can't say I blame them for charging. I no longer uy the paper and have relied heavily on the website for the sort of info I need.

DO
the raceform book is much worse value than the RP online.

Not to me, suny, since I don't like spending a lot of time at the PC. I much prefer sitting at a table working with a book, pen & calculator and exercise my brain a bit. Sitting doing all that at a PC would do my head in!

Very romantic but the fact is you would spend much less time in the computer and you would have the database in any place without carrying a booking in the bag.

A good point was made elsewhere about the fact we already pay for fees to our ISP and for phone lines, so you're paying twice over for this. With RUK returning to £20 a month and the RP likely costing £20 a month, too, maybe near £500 p.a. is teeth-picking money to most of you, but I think it's an absurd amount.

As Songsheet says, you can pick up pedigree info from auction house sites if you want to, but at a time when tens of thousands of people have lost their jobs, when homes are being grabbed back by bailiffs, businesses are tumbling into receivership and pensions and funds disappear into uselessness, this is, to me, anyway, a particularly perverse further gouging of its supporters by a luxury industry. And if it's supported by those to whom £240 a year is chicken-feed, and it will be, there'll be further demands to come.

Back