Retirements & Departures 2011

KILLOWENABBEY previously at Stratford, the chasing mare of Dai Burchell's there today: BABILU. Looked instantaneous as she was under a sheet by the second circuit.

And now, another at Stratford: THE ANTAGONIST, PU rapidly shortly after the first obstacle, trained by Rebecca Curtis, whose other runner in the race won it.

Last edited:
Looked nasty for KAYFTON PETE in the 4.05 @ Utt - penultimate hurdle fall and looked like his back has gone. Was struggling to get back up but couldnt seem to get his hind legs under him. Jockey ran back having been thrown clear.

HE'S ALL RIGHT! Just seen shots of him up, saddle off, jockey smiling. Some good news on what looked like a real smash.

YIPPEE!!! It looked terrible but so glad to hear!!! And Tricky Trickster is continuing to improve daily according to FB updates so fingers crossed there too.

Yes, Sean Boyce in the ATR booth was a happy bunny after morosely saying he went a really bad purler. I do like that feature of ATR's, that they will always try to bring news asap. Good news on TT, Ballydoyle, thanks.

One Cool Cookie; broke a leg training yesteday. Fancied him for the National if he'd got into the race.

Oh, sh*t! That's very sad indeed. Gave Charlie Swan his first Grade 1, and the RP online says he was on board work-riding when the horse broke a front leg. RIP, Cookie.

Last edited:
What on earth happened to Osiera at Gowran this afternoon, and why were there no screens round him when the horses came round for the second circuit?

Indeed - on another forum it's suggested he was all wrong and couldn't rise, but not a peep that the hurdle at which he fell (on only his third trip to a course) was omitted on the next circuit.

Very sad to confirm ORNAIS and DOONEY'S GATE were both fatalities. Condolences to the Stewart and Mullins families on these unfortunate departures.

There were two 3 y.o.'s who also died today: ATRAAF (Marcus Tregoning yard), having made a winning debut at Lingfield, died after picking up an injury in the Listed race there on his second outing; MAGNINI of Kevin Ryan's yard, went wrong at Thirsk, crashed through rails (fortunately no spectators there), and was clearly fatally injured. Having only his fourth outing, having picked up a win and 4th previously.

Last edited:
Well a good bit of news is that Comply or Die as been retired following his run in the Grand National. Hopefully Hello Bud's connections will do the same for him.

Just been announced on ATR that Bonanza Boy has passed away, Chepstow to name a race in his honour.

:( didn't even realise he was still alive, used to be my favourite when I was little. Used to go out playing in the garden in all weathers until my nan used to come out shouting ''Bonanaza Boy's on!''

Can always picture those purply red colours [magenta?] with the stars. Seemed to have been around forever in those days. So pleased that he was so well cared for and loved. [I wish I was playing in the garden in those days; I was a bit long in the tooth already by then!]

Good news re COMPLY OR DIE, Blazing. Crumbs, how old was BONANZA BOY? And how adorable to be called in from the garden to see him! I love the old race replays ATR shows now and then, because behind the winner comes a roll call of some much-loved old-timers, most of whom will have passed on by now, but, just like BB, who you think went to the great loosebox in the sky years ago, you find out that they're romping around in a field or still hunting.

Fantastic! Thanks, Imagine. That's a terrific age to get to for any horse. What's the longest-lived, do we remember? I think I read of a pony aged 50 a few years ago, but not an ex-racer.

I love it that Comply or Die has been retired to Timmy Murphy's yard. A happy ending for a horse that obviously means a lot to him

Will Timmy take him hunting (or someone else)? So many still enjoy a day's hurly-burly that I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Yeah that's what I was thinking pompeyj. Krizon, the story in sporting life said they would keep him busy:

"It will be a pleasure to have him back here and when they retire safe and sound it's always great," Murphy told At The Races.

"He's a great character and he'll have some fun here. We'll keep him occupied here, he doesn't like doing nothing.

"Hopefully he can pass on some traits to some up and coming stars."

Back