Retirements & Departures 2011

And confirmed to me that the 12 y.o. TONI ALCALA, ambulanced away at Plumpton yesterday in the distance chase, was put to sleep later due to having irretrievably broken down. His rider, Gemma Gracey-Davison, went to check on him just as he was about to be put down, and is so upset that she's talking of giving up, blaming herself. I feel she PU as fast as she could and that the decision to run a horse from a long lay-off, and on whatever the ground is, is the trainer's or the owner's, and that the rider should never feel at fault for the ride. And, apart from that, racing needs people with a heart, which she certainly has.

AREWENEARLYTHERE, Paul Webber's 5 y.o. gelding, on racecourse debut in the NH Flat Race at Towcester yesterday, PU 3f out, fatally injured.

Sadly we lost two today at Ayr in the Scottish National - Regal Heights with a suspected heart attack and Minella Four Star with internal bleeding.

RIP Regal Heights and Minella Four Star

I've only just heard of this; was feeling so happy that Gone to Lunch had enjoyed himself so much today and that, or so I thought, all horses had come back safe and sound. This is dreadful news.

Neither of the fatalities were related to falls, and I imagine that one must conjecture that the heart attack could've happened at home on the gallops at any time. As for the internal bleeding, that sounds like some sort of abscess or ulcers might've caused that - something long-term that's gone undetected until the exertion of a distance chase has acted as the catalyst. Very sad, but I wouldn't class these deaths as intrinsically race-related - more to do with weakening, existing conditions in the horses, which exertions have exacerbated.

However, let's see whether there are any mealy-mouthed protestations of despair or fury from the same Press which excoriated the Grand National for two deaths from many more runners.

Any news on Regal Entrance pulled up in the opening maiden at Newbury on Friday - did not look good.

Sorry, no. By the way, a site which may be of interest to some people on here is Elaine Mumford's http://www.racehorsememories.co.uk where she has noted the horses since the 1980s to the present which have retired from racing, or died while doing their duty. She hasn't mentioned REGAL ENTRANCE, but that doesn't mean the horse is no longer with us. There's a 'where are they now?' section where some are traced to their new jobs.

ROBELLO, 7 y.o. having his fourth only hurdles for John O'Shea at Exeter, collapsed and died following the race - suspected heart attack. Far from knocked about, he'd run in NHF a few times before hurdling and had scored a 2nd and 3rd.

Shit-a-modo - first run at 2 y.o.! There's no good age at which to have your horse killed, but that really is awfully sad.

Sam Adams trained by Paul Nolan, retired with a career-ending tendon injury. Haven't heard if it's any worse than that.

PEGASUS LAD, 5 y.o. ex-Flat horse, killed when 'struggling at rear' at just the fifth hurdle at Hereford. The RP analysis of his and the other faller, STEPTOE's, race doesn't make attractive reading. Where the fuck are jockeys' brains when their horses have absolutely no chance and are failing?

SURFACE TO AIR, 8th in the Grand National retired after picking up a leg strain. Reading the owner/trainer comments on RP, sounds like he's very lucky to have connections like that.

From the Racing Post

SURFACE TO AIR, who finished eighth at 100-1 in the John Smith's Grand National this month, has been retired.
The fragile ten-year-old, whose career was interrupted by injury setbacks, finished 40 lengths behind Ballabriggs at Aintree on only his second start since winning the Summer National at Uttoxeter in June 2008.

"Unfortunately he picked up minor strains on his fragile front legs which, in a young horse, would not be career threatening," Bealby wrote on his blog.

"However, he is not getting any younger and owner-breeders Tim and Bev Urry and I have decided it would be unfair to ask him such a major question as Aintree again and risk a more serious injury.
"He is a wonderful horse to ride and should have many happy years ahead of him as a hunter, hack or riding horse."
Surface To Air won four of his 22 starts and £61,866 in prize-money and Bealby added: "He has been a magnificent flagbearer for the yard and we can only speculate on what might have been had his legs been stronger, so thanks for the wonderful memories and enjoy your well-earned retirement."

Oh good. He looked wonderful at Aintree and ran well for a long way. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Two Aidan O'Brien 3 year olds, Juliet Capulet and Ruling, both reported as dead. Juliet Capulet had made a promising seasonal debut at Leopardstown a few weeks ago, Ruling not seen since finishing 4th to Dubai Prince in the Killavullan Stakes last year.

You have to wonder at running a horse with "fragile" front legs in extreme distance chases and then the Grand National. No wonder he picked up yet another injury. Sorry, but surely it was unnecessary to "ask" him to run in any more chases after almost three years out of racing? At least he wasn't killed, so I hope he enjoys the time he has left.

Any idea what happened to the O'Brien babies, Sequoyah?

Juliet Capulet was to run again a couple of weeks ago, but was withdrawn on the day, so I suspect her death is injury related. I don't know anything about Ruling. I just thought it was strange and very unfortunate when I saw the two deaths reported in the same week on Horse Racing Ireland.

More unfortunate incidents at Plumpton: AND YOUR POINT IS, Chris Gordon's 7.y.o. in first (and last) chase under rules. Not out since 'ungenuine' for Seamus Mullins in 2009, the horse had been placing in points, which is where he should've been kept. Broke down too badly for the vet to save.

Also suffering after his win in the Novices Chase there yesterday, too, was the highly promising 6 y.o. CATHOLIC HILL, who I was told by a member of Mark Gillard's staff had come off-course banged up enough to be out of action for a year. He said that the vet was eyeing the horse up for another pts job, but Gillard insisted he be saved. The lad didn't say what the nature of the injury was, but did say it wasn't a fracture. So, anyone's guess, unless anyone knows. Damn shame as beginning to get his act together effectively.

Last edited:
Juveigneur who had been ridden by Maxine O'Sullivan in Points was PTS after they pulled up in a Hunter Chase at Cork today.

Hill Of Clare
was also put to sleep after clipping heels and falling at Warwick this evening.

Shame to see the old warrior Juveigneur go.

Which Pocket was a casualty at Lockinge in a curious incident on the run-in - not having a clear view of the incident, it was said that he collided with the wing sending the runners around the fence that is the first and is by-passed on the final circuit. It was pretty distressing, poor lad.

Kri, I'm curious as to why you opine that And Your Point Is should have been kept to point to points? If, as you say, he had been ungenuine over fences for his last trainer but had clearly regained some enthusiasm in points for his new one, why the criticism for running him under rules over fences? It mustn't be forgotten that, (despite the oft-quoted myth that point to points are by far the easier option) at this time of year in particular, a handicap chase is quite often an easier and far less competitive contest than an open point to point. That comment sounds especially daft since as he seemingly broke down that could have happened anywhere, be that a point to point, a racecourse or at home.

Last edited:
Back