Retirements & Departures 2011

@ Shadow Leader, thank you for the info. Sir Gerry was also a old mate of mine. This loyal bugger did not deserve that. :-(

No, he bloody didn't - it seems a huge shame he wasn't kept whisking round the UK, where he'd racked up a small fortune for connections. He wasn't firing in the Gulf at all, and that is a very sad end to a bright horse.

Poor little BUONA SARAH, whose punning name I rather liked, killed at her first attempt at hurdles at Lingfield today, at only the second flight (fall). She was just 4 and had done quite nicely on the Flat, especially AW, and I felt it a cruel irony that she died at the place where she'd done some good work, but just not with obstacles in the way. SIR ROYAL collapsed from dehydration in the pre-parade ring on his way back to the stables, screens up, 20 buckets of water, got up and has apparently gone home all right.

Val Jackson's Robbers Glen was PTS due to injuries sustained in the HC at Kelso today.

Sad loss for Val and Northern Pointing/Hunter Chasing in general :(

Val Jackson's Robbers Glen was PTS due to injuries sustained in the HC at Kelso today.

Sad loss for Val and Northern Pointing/Hunter Chasing in general :(
Buggery bollox. Thought he'd got up fine - the irony is that if anyone in the country is going to look after a horse, it's Val Jackson.

Brenin Cwmtudu, owned and bred by a friend of a friend, broke a shoulder and was put down at Ffos Las on Saturday. Brenin was never going to be a champion nevertheless the man is gutted.

I'm hoping that his year younger sister, Seren Cwmtudu, a winner at Taunton in January, can give Hywel some consolation.

Very saddened for your chum's friend, CP. I liked the way his name was pronounced 'Brenin Cometiddy'. Best wishes for Seren to fare better for him.

Looks like we should be spelling it CwmtYdu, Colly! 7/10, see me after skool.

Looks a gorgeous place - I like the idea of spotting grey seals (or is that seeing spotted seals?), and the coastline looks very peaceful. It's no good - every time I see some quiet, peaceful-looking place, I want to visit immediately!

The RP reports that the wonderful little Docklands Express has died, age 29.

What a smashing racehorse he was. A thoroughly genuine sort.

Lovely, lovely chap - fell into caring hands, from the sound of it, which he thoroughly deserved. A real blast from the past.

According to info on another site, he was retired to Shropshire, where he went hunting earlier this year! Clearly not dossing, or just tending his allotment on Sundays.

Lots of info on the old horse on Kim Baileys excellent blog; [kimbaileyracing.com] he's been receiving emails from all over the world about him, including one from the girl who used to look after him. Sounds like the dearest of creatures [the horse, not the girl].

FIRST SERVICE, taking trainer Michael Attwater's partner Karen round safely in the charity race at Lingfield today, run in aid of HEROS, the horse rehoming facility. He was past the line when Karen felt him take a false step, and thought he might've cast a shoe. Unfortunately, he'd broken a pastern and was pts without suffering. He was bought by the yard for 400 gns last year when he was virtually on his way to oblivion, so we agreed he'd died a hero in helping to raise funds for a good cause.

Last edited:
A small crumb of consolation being that he ended his life well cared for, and will be missed by someone who loved him [something we can all hope for?] but unbearably sad all the same.

Indeed - Karen was consoling a young man who'd come to see him run (not sure if one of his owners or just someone who liked the yard) - it was his first experience of the loss of a horse, and he was very shaken up by it.

Meanwhile, another little pill of tragedy today, with the 6 y.o. debut hurdler BEDGEBURY KNIGHT, trained by Brett Johnson, being involved in some falls in the maiden hurdle race at Plumpton, and breaking a leg. Poor Brett - he runs a small but very hard-working yard and now they'll never know what might've been. The horse's dam, ELL GEE, was a winning pointer, so with KAYF TARA as the sire, the pedigree was there - just so sad that a ruckus ruined the very first start for the horse and cost him his life.

Finished the race but it does say he was hampered two out,so not sure when the injury would have happened.

I know it's not racing, but Daisy Dick's popular eventer Spring Along died at Gatcombe yesterday of a suspected heart attack whilst negotiating the steps. He was a favourite of mine and the old boy won me a few quid when he was placed at Badminton one year having backed him at some ridiculous price (something like 66/1) with Sid James.

Well, he was found to have a broken leg, Arkwright, so neither am I!

Oh, so sorry to hear about SPRING ALONG, Shadz - I love the way the eventers keep going, like the showjumpers, for so many years in full, active service.

Back