Retirements & Departures 2011

a bit off-topic but not sure where else to ask - a friend of mine sort of co-bred Maturus Ardor, who fell heavily in Limerick on sunday. no updates in RP, anyone on here who happend to be there, or knows where else to search? many thanks !

PS: any news on Aran concerto ?

Crazy, there's a listing for his trainer Michael Winters in http://www.directoryoftheturf.com, at Meelahera, Kanturk, County Cork, Ireland. The phone numbers shown are (home) 353 029 50880 or 353 086 252 0275 although perhaps dialling 118 118 or any other directory inquiries you have to make sure they're still correct might be an idea. Unfortunately, no email listing is given. Hope your friend can find out if the horse is all right.

What does his name mean - "old love" in Latin?

crazyhorse re Aran Concerto:

Noel says he has injured his hock again and he his racing career is officially over but they are hoping that he will be ok to go back to the field to retire with his old pals Rosaker and Sauslito Bay. :D

Ah, sigh of relief that the lovely chap is saved, then. He'll be in grand company - they can relax now, light up their post-hay cigars and chew over old times together.

If anyone's got news on IMAALHALL I'll be grateful, whatever it is. He's not a great star in the firmament of racing, but it's only respectful to follow up on them, just like injured jockeys. I'm not too hopeful of a retirement prospect for him, tbh.

@isinglass + kri - thanks girls. will forward info re trainer, and very very happy to read about aran concerto. looked nasty to say least and glad to hear he is still around.

I'm sorry to report that Camira has had to be put down. Her racing career came to an abrupt end a few weeks ago because of a tendon injury, but we had been hoping to breed from her. Unfortunately she then developed problems in her fetlock joint on the same leg and it would not have been fair to her to persevere.

Very sorry to hear that Grey, commiserations.

Scahill says that Ruby and horse have fallen in the 6.30 hurdle at Cork, and that Ruby's on his feet (hurrah), but no mention of how the horse is. The race appears to claim the lives of two horses going horribly wrong at the second last and just past the last, but not a squeak from Desperate Des on them. If I didn't know better, I'd say that that refusal to pick up on seriously injured horses - let alone let anyone know how they fare later - would give someone the impression that Irish racing doesn't give a four-X for its animals. Yeah, all rah-rah for the winner, but feck the rest. I'm sure that isn't so, but it's got on my tits for years and so I emailed Tony Ennis, on duty in the booth at ATR, to have a go about it. The good man is already talking of a fatality (at least) having to be removed before racing can go on. It's what the Irish commentary should be doing, but at least there is the decency of ATR to keep us aware to some degree. Respect for the horses is all I ask.

Tony Ennis has come back and they think it's CURLING who's gone. He also sounded disappointed with the reporting levels from Ireland and said that when he was there, he always tried to update viewers on the outcome of falls or other incidents.

AURA ABOUT YOU was badly injured in the Mares' Chase at Cork and METRO STAR was later going wrong when PU and dismounted.

Last edited:
Could Roddy confirm to us the situation with Tuilan (out of a cracking mare Peter trained years ago Tui).

Appeared to break down badly during the bumper at Ffos Las last night.

Better luck with the next one OTB.

There was a good chaser in the early 80s with the same name. I think that it was trained by Dessie Hughes. I remember it winning some good races at Punchestown.

Sorry to say that the RP confirms he broke a leg, IS. Strangely mixed little career for an 8 y.o. with just nine starts in his whole life.

Just watching the racing from Ripon last Wednesday (don't ask:ninja:) and very sad to see Sobea Star appear to break a leg (certainly fatal). A 3-y-o Soviet Star filly having her fourth run, owned by PJ Turner and trained by Pam Sly; she had made most of the running but was beginning to weaken entering the last furlong.

Can be a cruel game.

Last edited:
Oh, hell's teeth - just two outings and dead? That really has to be a huge shock for all concerned in both cases of youngsters meeting untimely deaths. Not that there's ever a 'good' time, except when it's an old one just falling asleep forever.

Back