Retirements & Departures 2011

Very sad to see that as he'd managed the last fine. Also disgusting to see the very last horse in the same race, completely tailed off two jumps back from the pack, being made to take the second last, at which he falls very horribly. There is no shame in PU even when halfway in the pack when you're a no-hoper. But to keep shoving your horse at jumps when it has no chance of coming anywhere but a distant last is stupid and dangerous.

A very sad sight tonight at Cothelstone point to point in the second of the 2 pony races. A 5yo pony suffered a broken front leg and sadly he had to be pts. His young rider was naturally devastated as were many in the crowd. Its just not something you expect to see and really took the shine of what was a very good evening's racing. My heart went out to the poor lad as he returned as the others were all receiving their prizes and he had an empty saddle.

Poor wee mite - that is a very unexpected and brutal finish to the day. Very, very sorry for him, j/j.

I'm afraid it doesn't get better in reporting the Beginner's Chase mare JUST POSH fell at the 7th at Sedgefield today and was destroyed.

A very sad sight tonight at Cothelstone point to point in the second of the 2 pony races. A 5yo pony suffered a broken front leg and sadly he had to be pts. His young rider was naturally devastated as were many in the crowd. Its just not something you expect to see and really took the shine of what was a very good evening's racing. My heart went out to the poor lad as he returned as the others were all receiving their prizes and he had an empty saddle.
Sorry to hear that Jinny - something similar could have happened at Garthorpe on Sunday, pony got loose at the start of the race and came tearing down the hill towards the winning post slipping up at the bottom and sliding through a gap where a gate was supposed to be. Luckikly was ok and caught as he was headed for the home straight where the runners from the race were coming up.

I'm sorry to report that Camira has had to be put down. Her racing career came to an abrupt end a few weeks ago because of a tendon injury, but we had been hoping to breed from her. Unfortunately she then developed problems in her fetlock joint on the same leg and it would not have been fair to her to persevere.

Very sorry for you and her, Grey.

Also another sad outcome - to the first chase under rules for Gordon Elliott's SADDLE MY DREAM. 8 years old, but he'd only run in a handful of hurdles and PtPs before today's debut at Sedgefield. He didn't fall - he'd been jumping fine and was just beginning to make a nice forward move on the leaders when he went wrong, hobbling out of shot. Chapman announced he had been destroyed a short time later.

Wish the old boy could have gone out on a win. My best ever winning bet; 80/1 for the Champion Hurdle, and I was there to see him do it. I became a legend in my local Corals for it [until, years later, they realised I was just a mug punter having a lucky day]. Hope he has a great retirement. Sorry to hear about Camira.

"Injured" on both ATR and RP sites - Meade's doesn't seem to do race result news and there's nothing on it. Such a grand horse. Quite a few going lame today, it seemed, or at least PU looking sore. And some dreadful-looking falls where the horses did get up and gallop on. Ground is probably taking its toll.

More misfortunes at Punchestown: IMAALHALL, 8 y.o. chaser of Fran Flood's whom I've always liked, "badly injured", so it's anyone's guess if he's been put down or saved. And STOTAN of Eoin O'Grady's, 5 y.o. hurdler, "injured" - ditto.

Reading through all of the races today, I'm struck by the huge amount of "weakening" and PU horses both in Ireland and the UK. I'm happily surprised that those in the UK who F all got up apparently none the worse, given the ground, but it is taking its toll.

I'd be very happy with a 2nd place with CALL ME BILL, but that's from a horsey, rather than a betting, angle, RO. Well done - a place is way better than what's happened to most today.

oh grey, just been seeing them news here, so very very sorry to read. how rotten is that. what a shame, to be honest i feared the worst when you were describing the injury, but was so happy to read how hopefull you lot were....

commiserations :(

Back