Retirements & Departures 2011

His biggest sin was that he had become too consistent and was always in the grip of the handicapper. My friend was on him when he went; he'd been riding him since he was 2 and loved him more than he loved his own horse. He's gutted. It looks like he had a heart attack.

Oh, dear, Shadz, that's heart-breaking for your friend. Please give him my sincere commiserations on the loss of MAFEKING - boy, he will be missed never appearing again on my runners' sheets at Lingfield, that's for sure. And a very sad loss, as a truly genuine performer, for a tiny stable.

To add insult to injury - or maybe the other way around - he smashed up his collarbone at the same time Kri so is feeling doubly crap.

Bumped into David Pipe in the owners and trainers. Didn't have good news on Mr Thriller. Apparently pretty broken up and gone to Ned Gowing on the Curragh.

Man, when things decide to go pear-shaped, they sometimes do it in spades, don't they? Bad situation all round, Shadz, so an extra dollop of the sorries to your pal. Hope he heals well, and quickly.

Confirmed, Colin. Having only his fourth-ever outing and with an entry in the Tattersalls Millions next month - dreams dashed.

what happend yesterday in punchestown in the first? thought i saw a (dead) horse under a cover, and they were bypassing a flight?

I think there should be a comma between "riding" and "Crazyhorse", Martin, lest certain forumites get over-excited...

Reported elsewhere that JOE SMOOTH died at Punchestown.

Nasty looking fall that, he didn't appear to take off at all and went over the hurdle shoulder-first. I feared the worse when I saw the horse lying prone and very still, and Davy Russell's face as he scrambled to his feet to get to him.

Yes, such a pretty grey mare. I understand her friends and 'family' sent Matt Chapman an email about her loss, and he very sweetly put up some of her last races for them. I thought she'd just got her off-fore hoisted up in her reins after her fall, but obviously something was horribly wrong. Going so very well at the time, too - just tragic.

Happy Retirement to Marcus Gorman's Cape Stormer who's been a real stalwart in South East P2P racing for the past few years, he was retired after winning a Mens Open on Saturday aged 16.

Martin

Oh, thank Gawd for some happy news! I saw the new posting and thought oh, please, not more doom 'n' gloom, it'd be nice if someone retired happily - and, yayyy, they have! Fanflippingtastic to retire still on the go at 16, Martin. Brilliant.

Not good news for: BUAILTEOIR, after finishing 3rd and lame at Fakenham, RAQUEL WHITE, falling in a hurdle at Worcs; LIZ'S DREAM, falling at Sedgefield; DRINK UP, slipping up after the 9th fence in the Novice Chase at Fontwell today, and DESTINY'S DREAM, PU fatally injured on the flat at York today.

Should point out that they're all since CURRAGH GREY's demise, Grey, although it doesn't make it much less disheartening.

Martin Keighley's Rodrigo Gonzalez & Ponchatrain retired, the latter having given 16 year old Tom Bellamy his first win under rules at Sedgefield on Tuesday.

Back