Retirements & Departures 2011

Theres quite a long list of horses waiting to go to the racing schools and charities, and if it had serious enough foot problems to be pts it would have been put to the back of both lists! Trust me an unsound horse won't last very long at BRS.

A lot of horses with injury problems are sent to MJs due to his veterinary facilities and the on site vets. It may be different now but a lot of treatments were included in his training fees, he also has the pool which reduces concussion on the feet.

As for him being in a seller, hopefully anyone with an ounce of commen sense would realise a horse that was so good in the past would be in the race for a reason.

Rewilding must of course be added to the list .

The thing to remember is that not only was he a very good horse but also it appears that he was a particularly kind and lovely horse and the distress additionally caused of losing a horse like that .

Aberdale and Ephorus also lost at Galway yesterday, Shark Hanlon has lost 3 horses this week apparently. As ever, Galway is brutal for casualties....

Oh, dear me, that's a terrible loss for the stable. I thought they went terrifically fast in all the races, but goodness knows what contributed to the fatalities. Very sad to be losing good horses like SERVE TIME, with so little yet done in chasing, but with a fine hurdling record behind him.

CAPTAIN JOHN NIXON, seven-time winner for Pat Eddery, pulled up rapidly at Goodwood when fatally injured, bringing down two others and injuring Ryan Moore.

Ben Haslam's A STONES THROW in the opening hurdle at Market Rasen today. Didn't sound good for HEPAHEPA NAENAY in the Mares' Hurdle at Galway, either, following her fall, with remarks about her being injured. It'd be nice to hear good news about her.

Richard Hannon has confirmed his stable star Canford Cliffs has been retired to stud.

The five-time Group One winner came off second best when meeting Frankel in the highly-anticipated 'Duel on the Downs' in the Sussex Stakes at Glorious Goodwood last week.

Connections have subsequently found the four-year-old to have suffered a minor injury but have decided to call time on his racing career for fear of the problem developing into something more serious.

"He has a bit of a shadow on the joint running into the pastern and that could turn into something nasty - it could turn into a fracture," said Hannon.

Hannon added: "He's a perfectly sound horse and I could very nearly go on training him, but under that light, I don't want to do the horse any damage as he's done us so proud.

"It's a terrible shame - it's heartbreaking, but I don't want to see him end up with a bad injury.

"If we carried on, we would have to give him box rest and with a big horse like him, he'd just get bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier.

"Doing that might just cause him a bad injury and that would break everybody's heart.

"He now goes off to stud sound. If anything happened to him, I couldn't forgive myself.

"He's been a fantastic horse for the yard. He's won five Group Ones - you can't do any more than that."

"Canford Cliffs was a very rare type in that he had such great early speed as a two-year-old but also stretched out to be a superb miler at three and four. He is without doubt the best horse I have had in over 40 years as a trainer.

"It's bitterly disappointing for his owners and for everyone here in East Everleigh that he had to be retired due to injury but at least it does explain why he hung so badly at Goodwood. We were very much looking forward to taking on Frankel again." added the East Everleigh handler.

Canford Cliffs is set to stand at Coolmore Stud in Ireland in accordance with a deal that was finalised at the end of last season.

The agreement meant the powerful operation owned a share in the colt for his racecourse appearances in 2011 and it also secured his services as a stallion.

Coolmore's M.V. Magnier stated "It's very unfortunate that he has been retired as a re-match with Frankel would have been a race to savour but Canford Cliffs is an exceptional looking individual and he joins a select band of stallions to have won 5 or more consecutive Group 1 races.

"Ever since we bought into him last year many of the top breeders in Europe have shown a very keen interest in him so I have no doubt he will be a very popular stallion."

Very sorry for Mr (or Ms?) Syder, LE. Great name that sounded like an action hero - and still young for chasing at only 6, so he should've had many more years ahead of him, poor soul.

Not the owners Krizon but the girl who looked after him "broken bridle, broken heart" was the text i got :( her favuouirte horse of all time and on the verge of giving up

Please pass on my condolences. Sounds like she has a lot of love to give to other horses that may need it, so I hope she carries on.

Misunderstood you, LE, sorry. Well, still pass on my sincere commiserations, but yes, please, ask her to stay with the horses. As is said above, they need people who care for them truly, not just someone who bungs down the feed. If there's any consoling your friend, it's that Troy must've known he was being looked after by someone who really cared about him. If only every animal could feel that.

At controversial Tramore today, according to the RP Analysis he slipped up on the notorious turn-in and was fatally injured. Looked to be a hindleg gone, although it may have been his pelvis, but MR BONES, 9 y.o. chaser, is no more.

Also dead today at Southwell is 9 y.o. chaser ARTIST'S RETURN, who broke his shoulder falling at the 12th obstacle (David Marnane stable).

He's dead, too? He was last seen going so well.

On the good news side, heavy faller CHARGER was reported as eventually getting up and walking away, seemingly none the worse. But Gary O'Brien sounded dismal about SEPARATE WAYS, who was PU/dismounted. Anyone any the wiser on his wellbeing?

Last edited:
Back