Retirements & Departures 2011

That is sad, Granger, and rather cruelly ironic that he's died as a result of an injury which he could've picked up in his speed-chasing days, but didn't. Only enjoyed a couple of full years out of the action, too, poor boy. Great that he wasn't gelded, though, as a chasing entire's a rare sight, and let's hope his classy genes are passed on successfully to the babies.

He certainly entered his career in France as an entire and by the time he got to Ireland, he was rather old to then be gelded, so I guess the decision was, in view of his already excellent race record, to leave the baubles in place. It's not unheard of to geld late, but it's more risky for a number of reasons, and by then (4 years and over) a colt has pretty much got sex fixed in his mind, anyway, so even taking away the ability won't guarantee taking away the interest in les belles dames!

He clearly seems to have enjoyed the business, though, and a set of jewels wouldn't hamper those efforts. It'll be very interesting to see how the kids shake out - at least they should all be good milers with the paternal line. I like the photo of him - looks really set on what's up next - all focus and intent.

Gary O'Brien is wishing CATAMOUNT, baby debut runner in the first today at the Curragh, all the best, as she broke down behind and was PU as soon as possible. Particularly sad for the Predergast stable as she was going so well at the time, well up at the 2f marker before disaster struck.

There was also a bit of a ruckus in the back straight at Newton Abbot in the 2.50, with at least two hampered, and leaving one with a broken hindleg - it may be that this horse went wrong and caused difficulties for the other two. RP just confirmed it is the Emma Lavelle-trained KING'S FOREST who was fatally injured.

Last edited:
Tim Vaughan's Honorary Title sadly broke a leg when falling at the last in Perth's first race. And just when things were going so well for the stable.

Last edited:
Oh, dear. I've really enjoyed seeing Tim V being interviewed on course - he strikes me as a very open and sincere young chap who would be totally trustworthy in all respects.

From RP site:

Walter Swinburn to quit training in October

BY ANDREW DIETZ 3:36PM 1 SEP 2011

WALTER SWINBURN will bring to an end his seven-year training career at the end of October.

The former top jockey, who won the Derby three times, started training in 2004, taking over the licence at Church Farm in Hertsfordshire from his father-in-law Peter Harris.

“Walter has decided to call it a day,” said Harris, who hinted the economic climate was a factor in the decision.

Swinburn has sent out over 260 winners, winning four Group 3 races with the Harris-owned Stotsfold, while he gained his first Royal Ascot winner when Julienas, also owned by Harris, landed the Royal Hunt Cup in June.

The 50-year-old has recorded only 25 wins this term, his lowest tally since his first season training and plans to finish on October 31.

It is not known who will take over the licence at his Hertfordshire stable.

I'm not sure what happened there - when Peter Harris was running the show, we used to have turnouts of 20+ syndicate owners with the several horses he ran regularly. Walter inherited most of those, although some got sold up when PH retired, but as they faded over the horizon, only one or two new ones appeared to replace them, and with nowhere near the amount of multiple owners. I always imagined PH as the eminence grise in the background, though, particularly where seed money was concerned. Running it a different way doesn't seem to have been the key to continuing the success he had with a bulk of modest animals.

I was at the Newmarket July Cup meeting and saw Swinburn chatting to the Channel 4 crew before racing. He looked like he'd slept in the suit which was worn out. Didn't come across as a trainer going places. Gosden always looks well dressed and smart, as does Johnston etc and I was just surprised that he looked down on his luck.

Didn't see that one coming. Sorry to see it - his travelling head lad spoke well of him and said he had done a good job taking over from PH.

He's been humanely destroyed following an accident in his kitchen.

I think it's because he's retired, Rory, and like some other humans, has been included in the 'Retirements' portion, rather than 'Departures'. Although, of course, he is departing the training scene. Just not this mortal coil.

Rory, I was trying to avoid starting a new thread and as Krizon has said above he has retired and the thread title doesn't specify it's only about horseys.;)

Rory, I was trying to avoid starting a new thread and as Krizon has said above he has retired and the thread title doesn't specify it's only about horseys.;)
I believe when the original thread was started several years ago it was done expressly to record equine deaths/retirements. I'm not having a pop, but the occasional human demise which has popped up here has been decidedly jarring. I know Walter's retirement isn't as traumatic, but similarly he won't be covering a big book of mares next spring. Let's keep people off the "grim statistics" threads, ta.

I prefer to see human deaths and retirements separated from the nags, but mainly because they tend to evolve into lengthy tribute reminiscences or discussions.

Last edited:
I believe when the original thread was started several years ago it was done expressly to record equine deaths/retirements. I'm not having a pop, but the occasional human demise which has popped up here has been decidedly jarring. I know Walter's retirement isn't as traumatic, but similarly he won't be covering a big book of mares next spring. Let's keep people off the "grim statistics" threads, ta.

You can't say for sure who or how often wally will be covering next year. Please keep idle speculation off the thread....

QUIDAM PUBLIC, M. Brassil's 7 y.o. beginner chaser at Listowel today. He didn't appear to fall, but did relieve his jockey of further effort. Looked to be the offhind gone shortly after landing - horse can be seen pulling himself up and standing at the end of the turn in to the straight on film.

Reported yesterday on Atacanta, SOCCERJACKPOT collapsed and died racing at Redcar. Not sure if reported a couple of weeks back, but Donald McCain's THUMBS UP died after being rushed wildly into the lake (which the horses swim) in a race in Germany. He didn't surface until dead, and his jockey has received a punishment for reckless riding. Perhaps best we do stick to boring uprights and a handful of so-called open ditches, if jockeys would be likely to drown their animals.

Back