Retirements & Departures 2011

Oh that's sad. What a short life. Was hoping they could save her for breeding. So many dreams coming to an abrupt end.

She apparently broke her pelvis, and it's mooted on Atacanta that REBEL DUKE has broken down very badly in the first at Wolves today.

RIP Sonny Mullen - Kim Bailey's young chaser.

Sporting Life 27 09 11:
Sonny Mullen, Kim Bailey's promising young chaser, has died after suffering a heart attack on the gallops.

The seven-year-old, owned by Clive Washbourn, had looked to have a bright future over fences.

He completed a hat-trick earlier in the year but was pulled up in the Summer Plate at Market Rasen in July on his final start.

"We have great memories of Sonny Mullen's Perth Gold Cup win. Sadly we are going to miss his talent as he was only young and very progressive," the Gloucestershire trainer told www.kimbaileyracing.com.

"But how sad to lose such a promising young horse as Sonny Mullen, and how upset was I for Clive, who is fun and such a supporter."

Big Burrows didn't break his shoulder it was a back injury that resulted in his humane destruction. And it was in the Handicap Chase not the Novice Handicap Chase, which was the following race, and which was delayed while they tried their best to save him.

SACARINA, one of the most successful German broodmares of all time, was put down at her owners' stud, Gestüt Karlshof near Frankfurt, on Friday. The daughter of Old Vic was 19.

From 12 foals, Sacarina has been represented by nine runners and a third of those won Classics.

Samum, her first offspring, won the Deutsches Derby and Grosser Preis von Baden.

Samum stands at Karlshof and was champion German sire in 2008, when his son Kamsin won the Deutsches Derby, Rheinland-Pokal and Grosser Preis von Baden, and his daughter Baila Me landed thePreis von Europa. He also sired this year's Group 1 winner Durban Thunder.

Sacarina's third foal, Salve Regina, by Monsun and so a sister to Samum, won the Preis der Diana and was second in the Deutsches Derby.

Salve Regina is the dam of Salve Germania, a Peintre Celebre filly who won the Grade 2 Ballston Spa Handicap at Saratoga.

Sacarina's seventh foal, Schiaparelli, is also by Monsun: he won the Deutsches Derby and a trio of Group 1s at four, before being sold to Godolphin, for whom he won the Goodwood Cup and Group 1 Gran Premio del Jockey Club.

Schiaparelli now stands as a jumps sire at Overbury Stud in Gloucestershire.

Sacarina is also dam of Seventh Sky, a son of King's Best who won a Listed Derby Trial at Hanover last year, and Sasuela, a winning daughter of Dashing Blade who produced Listed winner Seismos.

Sacarina has often proven a sales ring success, with Sortita, a filly by Monsun, selling to Shadwellfor €750,000 at the Arqana August Yearling Sale in 2006.

Sacarina was retained by Gestüt Karlshof for 800,000gns when offered at the 2008 Tattersalls December Sale.

She was among the first book ofmares covered by exceptional world champion Sea The Stars last year but was barren to him.

A Karlshof spokesperson told the German press: "She was always a diva and suffered only a few other mare as friends.

"When she had to travel for covers, she was so homesick that she ate poorly and so always returned home in a bad state.

"In recent days, Sacarina's phsyical condition was getting worse, so we decided to take her to an animal clinic. Terminal cancer was diagnosed, after which the mare had to be euthanised. "

Sacarina was bred by Bassam Freiha out of the winner Brave Lass, a daughter of Ridan and German 1,000 Guineas winner Bravour.

He wasn't, it appears, IS: he was stone dead before the vet got to him, having been shovelled along by Seamus Mullins's cousin's son when exhausted and barely able to continue. I met an old-timer on the way out, a real racing and horse fan who owns one on the Flat at present, who vehemently said, "that boy ought to be whipped" for the ride he gave the unfortunate beast.

Mullins might also have lost TOP SMART, dismounted by Andy Thornton in the 3m+ hurdle, after an absence of 177 days. Good results from this horse last season, but not at this distance. He came back in the ambulance and I understand he had broken down.

That's a shame about Raspbary. I had spotted the horse ambulance going down the back straight in his direction, but didn't know til I got home. Had left course by time Top Smart ran, but fingers crossed he pulls through.

Back