Retirements & Departures 2011

Thanks guys. As Sheikh says, always a possibility.

The ones I feel sorry for are the people who really knew the horse on a daily basis and had to deal with the details of the whole sorry situation.

Happily retiring from NH: FIT TO DRIVE, BALLYFOY, and the redoubtable 14 y.o. SPIDER BOY, who's just come up with a leg, to the huge disappointment of his adoring connections (Zoe Davison et al), as they really wanted him to leave the scene after he'd turned 15, racking up yet another gallant win or place at his beloved Plumpton or Fontwell Park. He'll just be hacked around a bit once he's sound again.

Sorry to hear your sad news, Grey.

Krizon, excellent news about the above trio, especially dear old Spider Boy.

Pleased to bring glad tidings now and then, Red, so that it's not all grief and sorrow. On a happy note, too, the wretched Danny Mullins has been given a (mere) 8-day ban for riding out the exhausted RASPBARY (to death) at Plumpton - several serious mutterings about that and I'd not be surprised if a few letters weren't bunged off to the BHA as a result of witnessing that 'ride'.

We lost our Oscar 4 year old - broken hind leg when having a grass gallop. BUGGER as he was going ok.

We were already looking at the HIT sales for a new syndicate. When you lose one, the best medicine is to buy another! I feel sorry for the syndicate members, most of whom are first time owners. Two of the Raise The Beat members were in the Oscar.

So sad to hear that news Cantoris, something that all owners dread.

Two were lost at Stratford yesterday, Just Victor who collapsed after winning his race, and Mr. Harmoosh.

Colm Murphy doesn't give a lot away, but there was no doubting he thought the Oscar might be decent. Commiserations to all.

Very sorry to hear this bad news so soon after Grey's - a sudden downturn for our august forumites, but I'm sure there will be some good replacements just round the corner. As was said, the worst of it is for the immediate contacts with the horses - their riders and/or grooms.

Me too. How shitty. Hope you find something suitable at the sales, and it doesnt put off your members too much. I know everyone has to learn the bad as well as the good, but you'd think it could wait for a little while ! :(

From the RP site:

Flagship Castleton Lyons sire Bernstein dies

BY NANCY SEXTON 10:03PM 23 OCT 2011

BERNSTEIN, winner of the 1999 Railway Stakes for Aidan O'Brien and later the sire of 16 Grade 1 winners, was put down on Sunday due to complications of colic.

The son of Storm Cat, who was the flagship sire of Castleton Lyons in Kentucky, was 14. He covered 102 mares during the past season at an advertised fee of $20,000.

Shane Ryan, president of Castleton Lyons, said: "Today is a very sad day for all of us on the farm as Bernstein was a very special stallion that in an all too brief career at stud has sired top class horses throughout the world.

"I would like to thank Doctors Nathan Slovis, Laura Werner and Dwayne Rodgerson of Hagyard Equine Medical Institute, and the management and staff of Castleton Lyons for their great efforts to try and save Bernstein today.

"I would also like to thank all of our clients that supported this stallion and I would hope that Bernstein's influence in the bloodstock world will be felt for many years to come."

Purchased by the Coolmore team for $925,000 as a foal, Bernstein made a striking impression as a juvenile for Aidan O'Brien, winning his first two starts in Ireland including the Railway Stakes by a combined ten lengths.

The bubble burst when he was unplaced at the odds on favourite behind Sinndar in the National Stakes. However, he returned the following year to land the Group 3 Concorde Stakes.

Initially retired to Buck Pond Farm in Kentucky at a fee of $10,000, Bernstein wasted little time in making his presence felt and by 2005 had been installed atCastleton Lyons at a fee of $15,000.

The Grade 1-winning fillies Dream Empress and Miss World have to date acted as the stallion's major flag-bearers in the US but his influence is most keenly felt in Argentina where he is the sire of14 Group 1 winners, including champions Storm Military, Savor Bien and Storm Marcopolo. Another representative, Goshawk Ken, was a champion two-year-old in Japan.

In all, he is the sire of 70 stakes winners and the earners of more than $33.8 million.

Bred by Brushwood Stable, Bernstein was out of the minor-winning Affirmed mare La Affirmed and a half-brother to Grade 3 winner Caress, also the dam of Grade 1 winner and successful sire Sky Mesa.

Warren Greatrex's Grey Granite broke his near-fore after jumping the second-last in the 2nd division of the novices hurdle today. Beautiful grey horse, sickening sight.

Back