Retirements & Departures 2011

I found out yesterday that the Scott's mare Hot Tottie had to be put down after severing a tendon while schooling.

Better news about Gone to Lunch, who they plan to run in a p-t-p before deciding whether he'll be able to race again under Rules.

he was a lucky horse and lived out a grand retirement at martinstown stud. mcmanus really is a star when it comes to that. we saw him several times there. just a tad bit too short, of course. he was a real favorite of ours, too.

I backed First Gold ante-post the year he won the King George - at a very handy price, just after he won the Jousselin. Sad news he's no longer with us.

We went very close in the TTF that year (finished 26th overall), and might have had a squeek if Hughie Morrison had released the news about Frenchman's Creek being ofs 48-hours earlier - the bastard! :mad:

Re Suntini, a pal of mine is/was in the Favourites Racing syndicate who owned him. Apparently, it was not a good end for the horse. He appears to have gone a bit crazy in his box through the night due to the pain of a twisted gut, and did himself some real damage. Such a shame.

Re Suntini, a pal of mine is/was in the Favourites Racing syndicate who owned him. Apparently, it was not a good end for the horse. He appears to have gone a bit crazy in his box through the night due to the pain of a twisted gut, and did himself some real damage. Such a shame.

Not nice at all. We had one who did that to himself - very distressing to see as he literally beat himself up and had repeatedly smashed himself and his head against the walls.

Much as it breaks my heart to see a horse lose it's life on the racetrack, I've always maintained that colic is the worst thing that can happen to any horse. We had one on our field that came down with it one evening and was able to get into it's stable where it just rolled and rolled on a brick floor for hours. Sad to hear about First Gold; what an exciting horse he was when he appeared on the scene..didn't JP only buy Barracuda because they came as a 'job lot' ? Good on the man for looking after his retired horses. I understand that it's quite easy to turn up at Martinstown to say hello to them, but I've never tried it myself!

Sad to hear about First Gold; what an exciting horse he was when he appeared on the scene..didn't JP only buy Barracuda because they came as a 'job lot' ?

First Gold was owned by the Marquesa de Moratalla, Barracuda by Roger Barby, although both were trained by Francois Doumen.

Good on the man for looking after his retired horses. I understand that it's quite easy to turn up at Martinstown to say hello to them, but I've never tried it myself!

not sure about that one. we have been enquiering for a long time, and been refused as well last year. they have security etc., so not sure whether you can just pop up there :confused:

He's still riding for the great G Mac too Grassy - and he still has the same unique style.

Interesting looking back to a 2001 Stable Tour of Macaire's (whilst searching for the time that James Ewart was his assistant trainer) and he references 12-13 horses that he wanted to campaign in the UK including the great Japhet who he points out is so docile he could be the trainers hack. Considering how highly he rates British jump racing and the jumps fans over here, particularly in regard to the various cards and letters he got from the UK when Jair Du Cochet died that he hasn't had more runners over here in recent years - seems to have moved into more buying/selling than anything else as he clearly has the right ammo for the job as proven by Royal Tune's victory at Ffos Las.

JR's replacement is a heck of a lot better though ;)

Last edited:
I was of course referring to wee Terry Doumen, Martin, but agree Hapless Jacques was a bit of a fud too.

There's so many poor French jockeys out there it's difficult to tell which one's which - I think Jacques modelled himself on Terry

Japhet another one that took diabolical liberties with my wallet. :(

Apologies for dragging this off-topic.

Personally, I liked BARACOUDA's rather offhand, enigmatic attitude to the public. He reminded me of the archetypal cartoon spy - the way he slunk around the paddock, taking fast, clipped steps, ignoring all. But FIRST GOLD was well aware of everyone and I rather think thought himself quite a superior type - he was certainly a very elegant animal and just a joy to watch sail over fences. Terribly sad when JAIR died - broke everyone's heart, I think, to lose him so much before he could enjoy a long and peaceful retirement. Again, a very charismatic-looking horse. I do think that the French-breds often throw horses with very strong characteristics, and these were three - KAUTO STAR being another, but to me, he's the party extrovert, the guy who comes in with a new blonde every time, drinks on me, and come on down to the VIP pit!

Peveril sadly took a fatal fall when leading at the last at Warwick. Takes a bit of a shine off Henderson's stellar day.

Very sad about Peveril looked like he could have been a very classy staying chaser a la Burton Port

Back