Retirements & Departures 2011

It looked pretty grim for Songe; he didn't get up and after a while Dickie Johnson got off his head, where he'd been sitting. Just as we all thought he was definitely a gonner as the meat wagon rolled up to the screens, he got up. Best part of the day by far, seeing him get up.

ATR was showing January 1st action from Fairyhouse today, and in the 3.15 chase, ENTERPRISE PARK took a fall mostly off-shot, seemingly trying to get and then falling back to his knees. On final circuit, screens are up but the horse clearly seen standing, unsaddled, behind them. There's no 'fatal injury' notice, but Willie Mullins's website is out of date, saying the horse was to be run 'after Christmas'. I hope the horse was okay, because his first three runs were all wins, with a PU at Cheltenham before the incident at Fairyhouse. Be nice if anyone can confirm he's all right, please?

I found out yesterday via email from one of his old shareholders that Brut, the ex David Barker sprinter who I was involved with for a season died of colic last year during his retirement.

Very sad, a lovely horse on every level.

I remember BRUT very well, Gamla. He was indeed a super chap, very sincere in all his races, and a good-looking lad, too. Very sorry to hear about that, he deserved much better.

Lord Larsson broke his leg at Wetherby on Saturday. Not a major horse, but I was there at the meeting. The jockey looked to come off worse in the fall, and when Larsson picked himself up, he was limping around. Mine fell at the first, but fortunatly he'd picked himself up. Safe to say, I ducked into the nearest bar to drown out what I just saw.

Shame about VB - was waiting for news whilst they ran the hurdle race after but didnt think it was good because of the time it was taking.

She produced Mingun, who I used to like but who is now standing in Denmark.

I think she had a couple of decent broodmares, too. Well Godolphin have a 2yo granddaughter of her by Street Cry anyway. A couple of Miesque's daughters have cleared a mil in the ring.

As Suny points out, she also produced dual-classic and Jacques Le Marois winner East of The Moon, while Miesque's Son was twice placed in Group 1's. Inventing Paradise and Moon Is Up were Listed class. Not a bad record all in all.

Jade Hunter sire of HOTY Azeri (poss 2002). Had a good innings really (born 1984) - I believe it was complications following a bout of colic.

Elsewhere reported that he broke a leg on his way to the second last, Rory. Not the sort of thing you figure might happen.

Hate to drag this back to the top but Venetia William's A French Horse fell at Towcester yesterday and although getting up and running away is reported as a fatality in the RP.Could someone clarify?

I was there.
He veered right after the last ran into the rails and appeared to have a heart attack.
First to the scene was Tommy Phelan who'd fallen earlier in the race and presumably the horses' lass who understanbly looked crestfallen.
Very sad sight to see.

Not a departure but a resurrection! Gone To Lunch bolted up at Black Forest Lodge this morning. Emotional scenes when he came back in.

Last edited:
I read that a bit earlier thanks to jinny/j on another forum, but thanks so much for putting it up on here, MO. I've adored the dear horse for ages and felt awful when he came so close to being put down. It's one helluva testament to the doggedness of his connections and, presumably, the vet who treated him, that he's alive, let alone putting what I understand was a good field to the sword. Marvellous, just marvellous.

Back