Retirements & Departures 2011

The Dansimar incident was not pretty. Took too long to get screens up, only two lads trying to put them up, then the biggest disgrace was that they didn't put the poor mare out of her misery immediately when it was obvious to a blind man that she had broken her off fore badly. All this right in front of the stands, in a race aired live by Channel 4. Not a pleasant advertisement for the sport, unfortunately.

What's also nice to find out elsewhere is that COME WHAT AUGUSTUS and THE MAN FROM HIGHWORTH are also doing very well in PtPs, too. There are so many PtPs that I find it hard to keep up with who's left NH and gone rural. The RP's full of stats, but a monthly wrap to say who's where now, once they've left formal racing circuits, would be nice. It'd sure help the 'Where Are They Now?' situation!

Come What Augustus is an incredible little horse. He looks like a flat horse still (trained by Ed Dunlop on the level and is a half-bro to Orpen Grey who was 2nd in the July Stakes) yet he's as tough as nails and a proper horror to look after apparently! I thought his hard races last season would have left a mark but he's bounced back this year as good as ever winning 2 before getting beatne yesterday by GTL.

Would it be worthwhile having a Pointing section, girls and boys? There are quite a number of forumites interested in them, and while I couldn't usually get to the SE ones as I was working, I love to hear who's coming out of them to go into NH, and who's going from NH either back into PtP's or debuting.

Would it be worthwhile having a Pointing section, girls and boys? There are quite a number of forumites interested in them, and while I couldn't usually get to the SE ones as I was working, I love to hear who's coming out of them to go into NH, and who's going from NH either back into PtP's or debuting.
If you want to browse, Jeremy Grayson started a thread on TRF called "Look Who's Pointing" which is of interest.

Thanks, Rory. I do have SE Pointing on my Favourites, although I so often forget to look into it, but if his is an easy-to-read who's where/when type of thing, I'll give it a go.

Awww... such a legacy with so many good NH horses both in Ireland and the UK. They're gutsy, hardy and accurate - great genes.

SILVER GUEST, 6 y.o. Claimer at Lingfield, with a heart attack following trying 10f. The race card rather ominously said "stamina to prove at this trip". Pity for Ralph Smith, his new trainer, having conjoured a win and a 3rd place from the horse, after Mick Channon found nowt last year.

Last edited:
RIP Bob Back - who won a complete sucker punch of a Prince of Wales's Stakes after Commanche Run and Pebbles had fought head to head up the straight .

If I remember rightly both CR and Pebbles beat him comfortably later in the season but great ride from Bruce Raymond that day.

Last edited:
Watumu bay, pts after injury during a routine canter.

very sad news. looked stunning before the welsh national, and didnt perform bad there either. there would have been so much more to come. a real loss, and one i was very much looking forward to see again :(

Last edited:
Forest Flower, age 27. She was champion juvenile filly in 1986, which was a vintage season due to the presence of another outstanding filly, Minstrella.

I was lucky enough to be present on the beautiful sunny day they both came to the Phoenix Park for the Phoenix Stakes (the Park 1500 to old-timers). The colts didn't stand a chance. My intention had been to back Forest Flower but I switched allegiance when I saw Minstrella, a very striking grey just slightly on her toes in the parade ring. Minstrella won, by about half an inch, in a race that anyone present will still remember.

They had other scraps that season, notably in the Cheveley Park Stakes, where Forest Flower got disqualified after bumping her opponent, but Forest Flower was the overall winner. She won the Irish 1000 Guineas the following season and had just one more run after that. Mistrella never trained on.

Just read that on the RP too, Gray - smashing filly but hadn't realised that her breeding career wasn't exacty covered in glory - although , looking at a few of the stallions they bred her to, doesn't surprise me !

Forest Flower, age 27. She was champion juvenile filly in 1986, which was a vintage season due to the presence of another outstanding filly, Minstrella.

I was lucky enough to be present on the beautiful sunny day they both came to the Phoenix Park for the Phoenix Stakes (the Park 1500 to old-timers). The colts didn't stand a chance. My intention had been to back Forest Flower but I switched allegiance when I saw Minstrella, a very striking grey just slightly on her toes in the parade ring. Minstrella won, by about half an inch, in a race that anyone present will still remember.

They had other scraps that season, notably in the Cheveley Park Stakes, where Forest Flower got disqualified after bumping her opponent, but Forest Flower was the overall winner. She won the Irish 1000 Guineas the following season and had just one more run after that. Mistrella never trained on.

I was working for Charlie Nelson during the Minstrella years. She was a glorious filly - more like a colt in build and attitude. She did however get a hefty bump from Forest Flower and was pretty sore afterwards. She also started to bleed in her races (way before much was known about bleeding) but she became a decent broodmare in the US.

No one knows for sure. Two horses Fenix Two and Marching Song collapsed and died in the parade ring. At least one other horse reported to nhave wobbled too.

Seems 2 horses dropped dead in the paddock. The suspicion is that they have been electrocuted due to an electric current running under the paddock and horses wearing metal shoes which would act as conductors. Tragic - I didn't see it fortunately but Jonjo was interviewed and was very shocked.

Nick Luck reported that the lads with the stricken horses were getting shocks of them but not officially confirmed. Desperately sad.

Not using the ring for the rest of the day using the pre-parade ring.

Back