Retirements & Departures 2011

Warren Greatrex's Grey Granite broke his near-fore after jumping the second-last in the 2nd division of the novices hurdle today. Beautiful grey horse, sickening sight.

YES - so sick to watch it. just wanted to get the joy back for the jumping, but a what a downer that was.

really gutted, his first ever hurdle race and he ran such a gutsy little race to that point :(:(

grey - yes, all well bar that its getting too many .... bonfire did not win again (bar the one first time out in april) so far, but did run into some excellent places - think I did share his 2nd in a handicap2 in baden on here? he was 3rd again (unfort. in a dead-heat) and 5th recently in baden (trip too far)

betty, by toylsome, had her first outing too. midfield, but with promise as one likes to believe. both are out in frankfurt on sunday, with a new french jockey called pecheur (?); he is a claimer, but apparently decent. 2 racemeeting on one day and germany is already running out of jockeys. would be funny if not soo sad ....

yes, toysome, a son of cadeaux genereux by the way, won the Foret at 50/1 on french pari-mutuel, and he was 100/1 in england. I know, because I backed him there. his first runners are 2-year-olds this year (making Beltaine Fire aka Betty a member of his crop) - not that many runners and hasnt set the world alight to be honest. only 6 horses in total in bettys race, but another one is by toylsome too. he wasnt the most precocious, and looks like his progeny need a bit of time too. sorry, wrong thread, but fingers crossed please!

Sadly my Beautiful grey filly Wavertree Princess had to be put to sleep yesterday. She wasn't very good but last year I gave her to a very close friend of mine who had been showing her and had her doing a lot of eventing. She really was an absolute sweetheart and sadly having been kicked in a paddock, that despite medication an infection occurred in her hock into the bone and she went very badly lame. The vets said there was little they could do and that even an operation would only have a slim chance of being successful and they recommended putting her to sleep. It's absolutely knocked the stuffing out of me and I've done nothing but cry all day, she was a wonderful filly who was loving her new life and was such a kind and caring mare who was so easy to do anything with, she leaves a very empty hole in both mine and Leah's lives but we are just lucky to have had her in our lives. RIP Princess, sleep well :'(

Sadly my Beautiful grey filly Wavertree Princess had to be put to sleep yesterday. She wasn't very good but last year I gave her to a very close friend of mine who had been showing her and had her doing a lot of eventing. She really was an absolute sweetheart and sadly having been kicked in a paddock, that despite medication an infection occurred in her hock into the bone and she went very badly lame. The vets said there was little they could do and that even an operation would only have a slim chance of being successful and they recommended putting her to sleep. It's absolutely knocked the stuffing out of me and I've done nothing but cry all day, she was a wonderful filly who was loving her new life and was such a kind and caring mare who was so easy to do anything with, she leaves a very empty hole in both mine and Leah's lives but we are just lucky to have had her in our lives. RIP Princess, sleep well :'(

So sad to read this Flame.

I think what distinguishes this Forum from others of its type is that so many of the posters on here are genuine horse-lovers, and nowhere is that better illustrated than in the above post. RIP Wavertree Princess.

Not been on here in ages, and so much sad to read of late. Really hoped Bideford Legend would be okay, terrible. Flame, very sorry to read about Wavertree Princess. I knew her in her first owneship, and she was indeed very pretty and a real sweetheart. Gutted for you all. :(

Very sorry for everyone else too who has recently lost one.

A good friend will be devastated to hear about Wavertree Princess, but heartened to know that she had a good life and you tried your very best to save her. On her and my behalf, thank you.

very sad to hear Flame, and thats how I lost my horse all them years ago, desperately sorry for all; and sad Bideford Legend die in Ascot. thought he was just tangled in rein at very first but soon became apparent it was much worse :(

CrazyH - it was DOVERS HILL that was the loose hose with the reins around his legs, Bideford Legend took a heavy fall 3 from home and was looking like he galloped and jumped the next on three legs.

Some 'movements' gleaned from this month's Owner & Breeder mag:

SLIP ANCHOR, age 29, succumbed to old age at Plantation Stud.

RAHY, age 26, passed away at Three Chimneys Farm, where he'd stood since 1990.

SONNY MULLEN, age 7, progressive chaser with Kim Bailey.

MELLOTTIE, passed away age 26, 1991 Cambridgeshire winner for Mary Reveley.

SYMBOLI RUDOLF, age 30, regarded as one of Japan's greatest horses, who won the Triple Crown 1984 and the Japan Cup 1985.

MILLE CHIEF, age just 5, Alan King's talented hurdler, winner of the Grade 2 Kingwell Hurdle, when set to embark on a novice chasing career.

HALSION CHANCER, 9-time winner for John Best, retired aged 7.

WOOTTON BASSETT, won the Group 1 Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere during an unbeaten juvenile campaign, retired at age 3.

HOT WELD, age 12, staying chaser, who won the Scottish Grand National and Betfred Gold Cup in the space of a week in 2007, is retired.

Sorry if I've repeated any put up earlier!

A friend in France has just told me that Kap Dream one of France's leading hurdlers was killed in the Prix D'Automne today at Auteuil, he was a winner of 9 of his 13 starts and this was his first start in Group 1 company.

What a particularly cruel blow for horse and connections, Martin, after so much success. I hear of so few fatalities from France, especially at winning levels, that it comes as quite a surprise to hear of one.

There's been a few to be fair Kri - I didn't list it here but saw one have a heart attack on the run in at Auteuil when I was there in September, think he was having his first start.

Questarabad the leading staying hurdler died as a result of injuries sustained in a prep race for the French Champion Hurdle earlier this year whilst Rendon's Grace the leading 4yo Hurdler of 2009 died in a race on the track too.

Back