Road to the 2000 Guineas

But if he and Toronado both line up in the Derby I’d very much doubt he would finish in front of Toronado (which of course doesn’t mean Toronado would win). The market in other words has got it wrong.

Fancy a charity match bet on that? Nominal £50?

The winner of the Derby was in 5th or 6th.(looks certain O'Brien has it anyway) Toronado wins nothing.

Last edited:
this is how I see it

weak edition
great winner
I go 129+ (131p) for the winner
he has proved he has trained on and was well suited by the mile and a good pace, phisically has done very well and can stay 10f but he doesnt look the ideal type for the Derby.

Toronado form as a 2yo was good but nothing special
the Craven form has to be treated with caution and maybe he didnt improved too much his 2yo as most people thought.

Mars was eyecatching staying on and posting a fine figure for his first run on turf.

about Clares Balding interview,
tension moments.
Sheikh Mohammed should have allowed them earlier than race and short interview and it would not have been necessary for her to ask him.
SM reaction was disspointing

Last edited:
Just back from the track. Not impressed with the course - just a slightly better version of Carlisle with a big stand.

Just back from the track. Not impressed with the course - just a slightly better version of Carlisle with a big stand.

:rolleyes:

this is like sofia Vergara, it is like every woman, with better legs, better body and a more beautiful face, other than that like every woman
:cool:

Euro,
Whilst I can't opine on Carlisle, never having been there, I share your view as to the quality of what is after all flat racing's HQ. It lacks style, character, soul, is inefficient in ease of movement and overall tacky. Outside of the main stand restaurants that service a minority, the catering offering is akin to that of a travelling fairground.
Newmarket should have a feeling to it, be a flagship, showpiece whatever. Many is the time I have taken non racing people who are expecting something very different and are disappointed. The July Course has a lot of what is missing and a completely different atmosphere.

The new stand was a disaster which for all Lisa Hancock's efforts after she replaced the old guard is pretty irremediable . It is like a giant Wetherspoons - the old stand whilst plainly unsustainable with its lack of facilities had far more character. The weighing room etc built in toytown brick does not help much.

Well we shall see - a lot of people scoffed when they said Canford Cliffs did not handle the dip and he then won five Group 1 races in a row .

I enjoyed it. The Paddock Bar was a decent place to set up camp. The main stand was smaller than I imagined; the two smaller stands wouldn't be out of place at Bellewstown or Ballinrobe. The consensus seemed to be that the July Course has an altogether better vibe.

I'm not a paddock expert by any means but Cristoforo Colombo looked a small sort to my eye. The type to make hay with - possibly at the Curragh. I really liked Mars - who looked a bit babyish in the pre-parade - very interested to see where they go with him. Glory Awaits was definitely on edge in the pre-parade but ran a huge race, especially if they went quick a shade too fast early as the sectionals indicate.

Hughes got me out of a hole in the last with Glean. We headed into Newmarket town for a few pints after and quickly realised it's not a place we could survive long term. We got strong word for four fillies in the 1,000 and three yolks in the 2yo maiden in the space of an hour. Heads were well and truly spinning at that point.

Last edited:

This landed me the weekend trifecta. I suggested - on here, unfortunately - opposing Dawn Approach, place-laying Just The Judge and that Euronymous might enjoy racing at the Rowley Mile.

Saw the race for the first time just now. Hat eating time if he wins the Derby.

I'd caution that they are convinced something is wrong with him and they will take time to get to the bottom of it. Hannon is suggesting Ascot is more realistic than Epsom for his next race.

Toronado reported by Hughes to have coughed a lot after the race .

Yeah, they are talking about waiting for Ascot rather than try for the Derby now. Shame if he was under par. I doubt much would have gotten past DA on Saturday though, unless Zafonic turned up.

like trumpet last year he made too much use of him and never got him balanced either.bad ride .DA unbeatable on the day .

Hannon reckons Toronado travelled with “the revs a bit high”. He’s no Canford Cliffs at a mile... but he was a proper speed miler.

Back