Road to the 2000 Guineas

I watched a Racing UK collection of old 2000 Guineas on YouTube the other day. I was struck by the number of times that a hot favourite was the recipient of the commentary "He'll have to be a wonder horse to win form there".
Probably an indication that the jockeys have had a rush of blood and gone too fast while the eventual winner was ridden sensibly.

Doubt if we will see those sort of sparks flying today it'll be interesting but none of these 2 for me are wonder horses. If they make the winner a short priced Derby fav get ready with those lay buttons is my opinion on what looks a very very ordinary guineas

It might not be a strong race in depth but I suspect the front two are well up to scratch and Garswood looked a bit of a different species from his opponents in the Free Handicap. I'll probably take the 2/1 Dawn Approach and dabble about in the market without the big two.

OK, simmo. I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were implying successful hot favourites.

Last edited:
The Dewhurst wins of Xaar and Dawn Approach had a lot in common - both looked in trouble some way out but forged clear to win impressively.

That "flat spot", coupled with this faster ground, makes DA opposable today.

Filled up on Dawn Approach with the Tote this morning. All set to go... Come on the good horse!!:thumbsup:

I know the jockey that rides DA out everyday for Bolger, I have been told the horse is an absolute machine. That's good enough for me so I'm involved in DA big time.

It might not be a strong race in depth but I suspect the front two are well up to scratch and Garswood looked a bit of a different species from his opponents in the Free Handicap. I'll probably take the 2/1 Dawn Approach and dabble about in the market without the big two.

Well, I eventually took the 2/1 Dawn Approach and backed it up with 7/2 Garswood without the big two (7/2) and Leitir Mor (40/1 ew, stonking value, I reckon) in the same market.

I know the jockey that rides DA out everyday for Bolger, I have been told the horse is an absolute machine. That's good enough for me so I'm involved in DA big time.

There seem to be a lot of machines in this guineas.... Some bubbles will be burst later.

Stunning performance ! Monster stride .Can't seeing him quite getting the Derby trip .

I suspect that there might be something amiss with Toronado though judging how he was moving in the final furlong .

No need for that, surprised at Claire Balding. The moment should be about the horses performance, nothing else.

It was utterly proper of her to ask that . She is a journalist - he runs an organisation that is quite properly under scrutiny . It is not a Middle Eastern potentate - he has to put up with questioning in a democracy.

I wonder if Toronado left his Guineas behind in the Craven?

I think he met a better horse..was crusing 2 out but soon was asked out of his comfort zone when DA came alongside..I think without DA he would have cruised until later and probably won..i think the effort in trying to go with DA just burned him..bit like Excelebration the day he tried to go with Frankel

going back to the time of the Coventry last year..we knew this was a good horse..it was just a matter of was he just a mature 2yo..looks like he was just bloody good

Last edited:
It was utterly proper of her to ask that . She is a journalist - he runs an organisation that is quite properly under scrutiny . It is not a Middle Eastern potentate - he has to put up with questioning in a democracy.

In your opinion. In my opinion, that was not the appropriate time to question him about the recent doping issues related to their operation.

In your opinion. In my opinion, that was not the appropriate time to question him about the recent doping issues related to their operation.

IMO , it was absolutely proper . Unless he is at a racecourse trying to behave as if it has not happened when will he be questioned ?

His organisation is responsible for having employed a trainer whose misconduct has damaged the reputation of racing seriously .

The idea he should be treated with kid gloves just because of who he is strikes me as forelock tugging bollocks.

IMO , it was absolutely proper . Unless he is at a racecourse trying to behave as if it has not happened when will he be questioned ?

His organisation is responsible for having employed a trainer whose misconduct has damaged the reputation of racing seriously .

The idea he should be treated with kid gloves just because of who he is strikes me as forelock tugging bollocks.

in full agreement..its not like he is going to invite discussion any time soon.

looked like an arrogant arse to me...he should have to answer..his operation has put racing back 30 years...its a f00kin disgrace whats happened

That was absolute poetry in motion to me and Ardross is right what a huge stride. Man id love to see that win the derby.

Very classy. One aspect to this win is that he was properly raced at two and knocks back the perception that more than a couple of race at that age is somehow "overacing". Good on jb for that

Back