Road to the 2013 Gold Cup

Considering his record fresh, I think it highly significant that he will start off in the King George. Jockey and trainer clearly think the trip won't be a problem, and nothing in his form suggests otherwise.
Probably should be favourite too, given Long Run's recent jumping.

Last edited:
Considering his record fresh, I think it highly significant that he will start off in the King George. Jockey and trainer clearly think the trip won't be a problem, and nothing in his form suggests otherwise.
Probably should be favourite too, given Long Run's recent jumping.

Who are you referring too?

I think he has a big chance in the King George for sure. And if he wins the King George, then going straight to the Gold Cup is a no brainer. I think he wants the trip to be honest.

Shrewdy... so County first, stay in training for 2014, then stud. I reckon we can talk them round.

;) The 140 would convert to higher in hurdling terms, but we’d have to run him over hurdles to get him properly handicapped. Looks a no-brainer though, Cecil must be up for it.

Market as of 30th August

Sir Des Champs (6) , Bobs Worth (8) , Long Run (10) , Flemenstar (12) , First Lieutenant (16) , Grands Crus (20) , Hunt Ball (25) , Invictus (25) , Last Instalment (25) , Medermit (25) , The Giant Bolster (28) , Al Ferof (33) , Burton Port (33) , Captain Chris (33) , Cue Card (33) , Finians Rainbow (33) , Kauto Star (33) , Riverside Theatre (33) , Silviniaco Conti (33) , Weapons Amnesty (33)

At this stage, it might be helpful if I pointed-out that the list of horses I do fancy from last season is considerably shorter than the list of ones I don't. :)

The exploits of Sprinter Sacre (and Kauto's King George) apart, I found last season to largely be one of across-the-board averageness.

More fool me, perhaps. :cool:

I'd agree with that although I would add Sir Des Champs and feel he deserves to be antepost fav.

Market as of 30th August

Sir Des Champs (6) , Bobs Worth (8) , Long Run (10) , Flemenstar (12) , First Lieutenant (16) , Grands Crus (20) , Hunt Ball (25) , Invictus (25) , Last Instalment (25) , Medermit (25) , The Giant Bolster (28) , Al Ferof (33) , Burton Port (33) , Captain Chris (33) , Cue Card (33) , Finians Rainbow (33) , Kauto Star (33) , Riverside Theatre (33) , Silviniaco Conti (33) , Weapons Amnesty (33)

I've been having any spare fivers that crop up on Flemenstar and Spirit Son all summer. The front two are chronically short.

I am a massive Sir Des Champs fan. I think hel lengthen at some point before the race in heavy ground though.

Don't think he has that much to do Granger - on form he has a cracking chance IMHO, he beat FL 6 lengths yet that one is as short as 16's and he beat FL further than Bobs Worth (8/1) managed in the RSA Chase (people will bring up the Lambro/CTP formline but IMO 2m 5f is a minimum for LI and he'll be much better over longer trips).

LI has always looked a class act since his Fairyhouse bumper winner, he was disappointing over hurdles for me but was one of the leading Novice's of last season and who knows what would have happened had he not been injured in the run-up to Cheltenham. The only doubt for me would be the ground as he looks sure to stay 3m 2f, any rain and he'd definitely be in the shake up IMO and even without it he'd be on my shortlist. Would certainly be far keener on backing him than any of those in front of him in the betting at the moment.

Martin

My sentiments were regarding showing that he has overcome any issues that he had last year Martin and not any qualms with his form

Last edited:
Agree, providing he's back he'll be a real runner - was jarred tendons that he did during the Novice Chase so hopefully he'll back :)

Back