Road to the Arc de Triomphe

Golden Horn might have a busy old summer - he looks capable of farming the Eclipse/Judmmonte/Irish Champion. This all mitigates against him winning an Arc and so a break for Jack Hobbs with a view to a Niel/Arc campaign means 10/1 is fair value.

Golden Horn is not a sure runner but is more likely to run than not
if he runs , very likely winner.

also surprised intalaaq is not even mentioned as a runner

new bay is interesting.

Will he stay? Can't say I was rampantly impressed the other day

I see him as a sure stayer even on soft ground, most Dubawis stay and family of wemiss bight
the question is if he is good enough or improving at the right time
tactics in a big field some questions too

Not sure he'll get it myself New Bay. One I like but would rather he went Champion Stakes.

we've got such a race in prospect but the way this flat season has gone i won't believe they'll all take their place till they're actually in the stalls

'Colm O'Donoghue attempted to keep New Bay locked in but the gaps opened up in the straight with New Bay still on the bridle'.Does he make a habit of doing this in races??

Maybe or maybe you didn't read my comment when I shoved my entire bank onto Jack Hobbs at Kempton.

He won with so much ease I was elated and commented "roll on the Arc"

Take that elation and turn it on it's head because after that performance by Treve I have to backtrack to my original statement and say Jack Hobbs might need another year on his back before winning an Arc.

Performances like that are rare..as Gaz said she was pulling like a train and you'd expect there to be very little left in the tanks from about 2 out.....she looked like she had been sitting waiting at the 2f marker and jumped in.

As much as I'd like to see Jack Hobbs prove me right, I really hope Treve pulls of the treble..........to win 3 Arcs on a trot would be amazing.

Has any of the dual winners such as Ribot attempted this before?

Has any of the dual winners such as Ribot attempted this before?

Only seven horses have managed to win the Arc twice: Ksar, Motrico, Corrida, Tantieme, Ribot, Alleged and Treve.
Before achieving the double Motrico finished 4th as a 3-year-old and Corrida finished third in 1935 as a 3-year-old too.

Treve is the first to attempt the treble after two wins in the race; the rest were retired after the second win.
The Head family obviously heard about the cork lady footballers ( as opposed to any male Cork team )

Lets put the sentimental stuff behind us, obviously it would be nice to see history made but she has to be taken on at the price.

Last season the 3rd and 4th were 3yos (who have a generous wfa in this race) both of whom didn't have that classic 3yo prep that New Bay has this season. Taghrooda and Kingston Hill were both beaten around 4L. The filly had run in the King George and at York, the colt had run in the Leger - sure death to any Arc candidate. Imo New Bay will be at least 4L better than those two were last season. He's more progresive, has had the perfect prep for the race, and is handled by the master trainer. With a decent draw he's a knocking bet in pretty much a two horse race.

Am a big fan of New Bay since his gallant effort in the Poulains. He's a cracking horse but if Treve is anywhere near her A game then she wins. It's as simple as that.
If she's not then New Bay may well step in. He's very likeable.
The potential dry forecast does at least make it more interesting.
Golden Horn will likely line up now which also adds further spice.
I think Found will run very well. Hopefully she lasts home.

1st - Treve
2nd - New Bay
3rd - Found

Last edited:
Back