Road To The Champion Bumper

There is a slight distinction with horses like Sea The Stars however, they are known as "Proper yokes".

I think the moves were in reaction to a little piece in yesterday's print edition of the RP about how he is going straight to the festival without a run, that he is fit and well, but not going to have a prep run because of his preference for a sound surface.

There's an interesting Grade 2 bumper at Newbury on Saturday. Al Ferof, 2nd in the Champion Bumper, was last year's winner. Several horses prominent in the Cheltenham betting are entered, including Persian Snow, Balding Banker, Hit The Headlines and Ericht.

There are also several Irish entries, including Star Neuville and Fasolo, but I don't know whether they are intended runners or not.

It's a pity that Persian Snow, Hit The Headlines and Star Neuville won't be running in today's race. I can understand, though, that a week's delay makes a big difference this close to the main target, not to mention the lower prize money.

I'm going to chance a few quid on Pechamecho today at an each way price, mainly because his pedigree suggests he'll handle today's conditions and his trainer takes these events seriously.

The winners of two bumper at Naas on Sunday is also a bit weaker than it might be and should, in my opinion, be moved next season to a date about two weeks earlier. I'll probably be backing Letter Of Credit in this.

(5:10) 29G paddypower.com (Pro-Am) INH Flat
Race €9,315.00 ( 2m - 4,7yo )
1 Letter Of Credit​
(GTLynch) -
MrMPFogarty(5) ....... 12,00

2 Presenting Nama​
(JHalley) -
MrPAKing(7) ............ 12,00

3 Castle Wings​
(JJMangan) - MsKWalsh 11,11

4 Mississippi River​
(JEKiely) -
MrRPMcNamara....... 11,11

5 Samain (GER)​
(WPMullins) -
MrPWMullins ............ 11,10

6 Georges Street​
(TJTaaffe) -

MrPJMcMahon(7) ..... 11,06

The winners of two bumper at Naas on Sunday is also a bit weaker than it might be and should, in my opinion, be moved next season to a date about two weeks earlier. I'll probably be backing Letter Of Credit in this.

Yet I think three cheltenham bumper winners have come from it. It suits the older horses who can come back quickly, like Hairy Molly.

Word on the street has it that Mullins Cheltenham Bumper horse is Are Ya Right Chief a 5yo Flemingsfirth gelding. He holds no entries this coming week and with no suitable race on Friday or Saturday at Navan, unless he runs at Leopardstown on Sunday they will hardly get him qualified.

Yes Ebanour:whistle:

22Feb11 5:00 (Four Day) at Wetherby, Wetherby Racecourse Family Sunday - 17th April "Newcomers" Standard Open National Hunt Flat Race

23Feb11 5:15 (Four Day) at Doncaster, Look Out For The coral.co.uk Green Tick Standard Open National Hunt Flat Race

Word on the street has it that Mullins Cheltenham Bumper horse is Are Ya Right Chief a 5yo Flemingsfirth gelding. He holds no entries this coming week and with no suitable race on Friday or Saturday at Navan, unless he runs at Leopardstown on Sunday they will hardly get him qualified.

Did you hear any mention of another Mullins horse Allure Of Illusion, introduced near the head of the betting this weekend? Hasn't run since winning a Killarney bumper last August, and holds no entries at present, But Mullins is reported in the Mirror as saying he might let him take his chance at Cheltenham.

backed it for a few quid last night after reading some nice quotes about it,can't see that winning it imo.Maguire had to get really serious there at one point

Did you hear any mention of another Mullins horse Allure Of Illusion, introduced near the head of the betting this weekend? Hasn't run since winning a Killarney bumper last August, and holds no entries at present, But Mullins is reported in the Mirror as saying he might let him take his chance at Cheltenham.

Wasn't a fantastic race in Killarney but the mere mention of him going would probably be enough to move him in the Market. Mullins is so non commital about his Cheltenham plans it's a joke. Absolutely no regard for the general punting public IMHO .

Back