Road To The Champion Hurdle

Working really nicely the last couple of weeks. Not a quick enough jumper to win a Champion though IMO.

Thanks Trackside, that's useful, although I'm inclined to agree with you. He's as short as 12s with Coral but more than twice that price with Hills... so there's a lot of guessing going on about this one.

Looking through the market, and being quite harsh to avoid ending up with 10 possibles, I think you can write off quite a few straight away..

Celestial Halo - a different track will not result in him turning over an absolute thumping
Crack away jack - not good enough based on any form
Katchit - poor CH winner, and looks to have regressed this season
Sublimity - not sure he'll stay well enough, and form ties in too much with those not good enough
Sizing Europe - something seriously amiss
Punjabi - Not good enough on any form
Brave Inca - Too old, and no longer good enough
Harchibald - Would need good ground, and doubt he'd pass a snail up the hill
Whiteoak - no chance, and should go for Mares Race

I think that leaves me with roughly 2 to consider for taking on Binocular with...
Osana - thought it a terrible ride by Scudamore last year, and possibly worth another chance
Jered - Unexposed, and would be of interest if ground were on the genuine good to soft or better.

Ouch that's quite savage, but probably about right.

I would salvage Sublimity and Punjabi from your discard list though, better to come from both in the big one I reckon. Not sure about Jered from your retained list, although he does appear to have some quality.

No savagery will mean a 10+ shortlist for every race!

Bringing in Punjabi would mean considering Ashkazar, who i really should add to Jered and Osana, as I think he is still unexposed

Looking through the market, and being quite harsh to avoid ending up with 10 possibles, I think you can write off quite a few straight away..

Celestial Halo - a different track will not result in him turning over an absolute thumping
Crack away jack - not good enough based on any form
Katchit - poor CH winner, and looks to have regressed this season
Sublimity - not sure he'll stay well enough, and form ties in too much with those not good enough
Sizing Europe - something seriously amiss
Punjabi - Not good enough on any form
Brave Inca - Too old, and no longer good enough
Harchibald - Would need good ground, and doubt he'd pass a snail up the hill
Whiteoak - no chance, and should go for Mares Race

I think that leaves me with roughly 2 to consider for taking on Binocular with...
Osana - thought it a terrible ride by Scudamore last year, and possibly worth another chance
Jered - Unexposed, and would be of interest if ground were on the genuine good to soft or better.

No mention of Muirhead Hamm:confused: A huge price for a young horse with doubtless potential for improvement. That said I am very sweet on Osana myself.

It is possible that last years juveniles were a remarkable bunch, headed by Binocular who was impressive at Ascot.
Celestial Halo who has since shown high class form to beat Osana.
Crack Away Jack who has performed with credit at a trip that stretched him behind Chomba Womba.
Ashkazar who beat Whiteoak at Wincanton, form again which ties in closely with Crack Away Jack and Chomba Womba and again via the McCain mares run with Elusive Dream last season.
Other five year olds that demonstrate the point are Franchoek who has been slightly disappointing but ran well when worn down by an improved Lough Derg and Songe who won the Haydock trial against Afsoun who appeared to run his race. 'Yardsticks' such as Punjabi and Snap Tie have been well held in some of these events pinning down some of the form of the older brigade.

It is possible that Binocular will be outstayed on the day. Is it safe to assume that being a year older is going to help him see it out better than he did last year? Its a nagging doubt I have after seeing him legless over the line twelve months ago. If he is to be beaten then I think it likely that it will be from one of Celestial Halo, Crack Away Jack, Ashkazar, Whiteoak or even Chomba Womba. I feel that all of these five are better than have so far been given credit and crucially in some cases are young and inexperienced enough over hurdles to suggest that they could continue their upwards curve and produce even better form than they have already. I expect I shall take on Binocular with one of those come the day when we know the ground and other variables.

The Irish challenge may as well be bought by Fergus Wilson.

Yes that's right Uncle Goober. Because Won In The Dark hasn't beaten some of those mentioned above before...and isn't a 5 year old....!!!!

Surely UG is entitled to make an opinion on the race (& Irish horses), and the fact is all Won in the Dark has beaten is stragglers in a very poor Festival Hurdle (that he didn't win either).

In fact, I don't think he's beaten anything of note.

Is this coming through green-tinted spectatcles?

Just pointing out a slight flaw in his Fergus Wilson thesis...as Won In The Dark beat Franchoek [one of those mentioned] at Punchestown last year, and wasn't too far off in the Triumph that Crack Away and Ashkazar weren't even ready to contest at the time, so surely as a member of this 'remarkable' bunch of juveniles [his words, not mine!] he should be considered as part of calculations, no?

Just pointing out that his inflammatory thesis had a bit of an obvious flaw that he should have considered...for if Won In The Dark is Fergus Wilson fodder, then his remarkable bunch can't be that good either!!

For what it's worth, I think Binocular is the only one of the five year olds with a prayer...

Well if we're looking for flaws we dont have to look too far to find that my 'remarkable' bunch was qualified with the words ' it is possible', in, oh look, the first three words, that Won In The Dark was twice beaten by Franchoek prior to beating him at Punchestown, and that the relevance of Crack Away Jack and Ashkazar not running in The Triumph twelve months ago is zero.

Less relevant is your predicatable sense of humour failure.

I wont apologise for not mentioning EVERY five year old. Yeah, erm Soldier Of Fortune would have a chance. If it makes you feel a teeny weeny ickle bit better, I'll put Won In The Dark in the mix with Franchoek and Songe as a marker that shows how good the others are, with respect to him running Sublimity so close.

there you go now. off to bed.

Whiskey in the jarroo

Last edited:
Indeed, your cutting...yet somewhat alluring....and witty riposte has put me in my place. I shouldn't have doubted you. These are the best juveniles since the days of Detroit City. You are the best poster since Shadow Leader. And Contraband is the moral winner, whether he is entered or not.

And if he was entered, Contraband would finish ahead of Chomba Womba

If Ashkazar is to be considered, so too must Crack Away Jack be considered.

I too have doubts about Binocular staying up the hill and wouldn't back him at 5/4 with Bobbyjo's money.

For what it is worth, I think that Katchit can run a blinder and silence a few doubters who 1) wrote him off completely before his Champion Hurdle win last year - indeed, said that the Irish would fill the 1-2-3 and more or less said the English shouldn't bother turning up (ooh, look - was the best the Irish could do 4th place?!?) 2) then repeatedly crabbed the form when he did win it saying how 'sub-standard' it was when previous to the race they'd been creaming over what a good Champion it would be that year and then 3) continued to crab Katchit all this year, saying he's gone at the game.

Katchit comes to himself in the spring, runs better at Cheltenham and up the hill than anywhere and relishes an all-out gallop, not to mention a battle. He is a massive price at the 14/1 available in places and I also think Crack Away Jack can run a big race at a similar price.

Last edited:
I think it's between Binocular, Katchit, nand Muirhead on good ground, and Ive had a little punt on Brave Inca e/w in case it comes up soft. Resolution counts for more than age in a Championship race at Cheltenham imo

It's terribly upsetting how some posters are obsessed with the Irish.

You think people would just forget the 800 years and get on with their lives....

The four years of hurt caused by the Irish turning over the next great English hope after hope runs so deep that they've convinced themselves Katchit is above average.

Is there anywhere to see Binocular's gallop yesterday? Was it a proper piece of work or just a day away?

Proper work with a good lead horse (he reportedly blew hard afterwards). In fact the day was organised for Binocular (who needed it), the rest of the group were already match fit.

The work was necessary for Binocular and will have brought him on a heap after doing nothing much with him. Trainer and rider (AP) appear to be very satisfied with him.

Last edited:
McNamara rides Osana assuming Catch Me does not run. Not sure if that means he is getting off Sizing Europe by choice or that the horse does not run.

A few people might have missed this in today's Independent, suggests that McNamara rides Catch Me??? O'Regan booked for Sizing.
----
SIZING EUROPE is on target to attempt to make amends for last year's failure to justify favouritism in the Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle and will be ridden in the highlight of the opening afternoon of the Cheltenham Festival by Denis O'Regan.
Waterford trainer Henry de Bromhead last night confirmed the booking of 26-year-old O'Regan who has already won twice on his stable star which has been hit by injury both in last year's championship and earlier this year.
"I'm delighted to have Denis available for our horse after Andrew McNamara told me he would be riding Catch Me instead at Cheltenham,'' said de Bromhead, who reports his fine money-spinner in excellent shape at the moment.
"We have done plenty of work with the horse lately and he's schooled nicely here this morning over hurdles. He's going very well and it's fingers crossed that he stays that way for the festival."
O'Regan has been enjoying another successful season in Britain as stable jockey for Howard Johnson, having already partnered 63 winners with more than 50 of them for Johnson.
The Cork native made the breakthrough at Cheltenham 12 months ago when winning both the Ladbrokes World Hurdle on Inglis Drever, since retired through injury, and Tidal Bay which landed the Irish Independent Arkle Trophy.
O'Regan is looking forward to as many as nine rides for Johnson over the four days at Cheltenham where Tidal Bay has a choice between the Ryanair Chase and the Queen Mother Champion Chase.
However, Johnson reports that Tidal Bay is trying to recover from a cut that was worse than first feared.
"He's still a bit behind," said Johnson.
"He got cut at Cheltenham and it got infected. He's healed up now but it's still a bit tender. His fitness will be fine, it's just the cut that's the problem."
Tom Cooper has confirmed Forpadydeplasterer as an intended runner in the Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy rather than tackling the RSA Chase.
"Everything is hunky-dory with him and he will definitely run in the Arkle," said Cooper. "He has come out of his last race in great form and I think he would prefer a bit nicer ground than what he has been running on, which it looks like we'll get at Cheltenham."
Champion Hurdle favourite Binocular was put through his paces at Kempton yesterday as Nicky Henderson started applying the finishing touches to the five-year-old's preparation.
The gelding, who has not run since beating Celestial Halo at Ascot in December, went about a mile and a half under AP McCoy with Barry Geraghty on The Polomoche, a decent work horse. Henderson was pleased with workout. "AP said he had a good blow. He hasn't run since December on purpose, but we could have done without being locked up in our covered ride for a fortnight during the bad weather," he said.
Meanwhile, Mouse Morris is hopeful that War Of Attrition can recapture his best in the Gold Cup.
"Touch wood, he's on track but I just hope they don't start watering, that's the only thing I'm worried about at this stage," said Morris. "As long as he gets his ground, I still think that (the Gold Cup) is his class."
- Damien McElroy

McNamara from the Sporting Life:

"Obviously if I did happen to get the ride on Osana, it would be a lovely ride to get. But if Catch Me were to run I would be riding him for Mr O'Grady."

Back