Road To The Champion Hurdle

Not likely to improve is it ?

Lots of rain forecast so unlikely that it will change. The track dries well so as long as there is no heavy rain on Saturday night it should be ok. We only have to worry about the snow / frost then!!!

Big worry is with so much water in the ground, frost could be the killer.

Hurricane Fly definitely does not run in the Irish Champion.

"He's definitely a non-runner on Sunday," said De Bromhead.

"He's under veterinary examination and I'm just not happy with him.

"I'm not prepared to say anything else at this stage, we'll just have to see."

I'm shocked...

Not referring to SE gal, more the likes of Harchibald, One in the Dark and possibily Sublimity who wont be running in heavy ground

The Gowran race is a more likely target for Jered. Harchibald is highly unlikely to run again before Cheltenham.

With the ground and likely pacemakers going to ensure a serious test of stamina, conditions could see Brave Inca run a very big race indeed.

I'm sure they are happy much loved animals, but ,with due respect, are the pacemakers not far too shite to have any effect on the race. If either of them are anywhere near the lead after 4 out, is it not a sign it's been a slow pace.

Last edited:
Under tomorrows ground conditions [2miles on soft or hvy]two horses have the best form by miles...well about 10/15 lengths:rolleyes:

Brave Inca

Hardy Eustace

Shall dutch em...can't see owt else in the race under the conditions.

I think Muirhead is the one.

He only has one and a bit lengths to find with Brave Inca and the softer ground can help him do this. Last time (on good-soft), he looked to me like he would benefit from a stiffer test (and, given that he has already been tried over 2m4f, his connections presumably have a similar view).

He is still lightly raced enough to have some natural improvement left and there should be plenty of pace in the race to suit his running style.

I think he has more to find than 1 and a bit lengths tbh - that run was not BI at his recent best..if BI runs to the level of his run behind Catch Me then Muirhead will need to find about 8 lengths worth of improvement...priced at just 4.6 to do that...would rate as a bad value bet imo.

Fair enough.

The only thing I would say in response to that is that the Catch Me race was Muirhead's first run of the season. I know the same applies to Brave Inca (in fact, he was off a much longer absence) but BI was possibly more tuned-up for it.

you might be right Relkeel..but I would be wanting about 8 or 9/1 for Muirhead I reckon

way things are going it would be no real surprise for a new contender to nick tomorrows race with Sublimity maybe not wanting the ground and BI and HE appearing to be maybe getting to the end

lots of ifs and buts..so I have stuck to what they have in the book..but if Sublimity does win then he is going to be very hard to beat at Cheltenham on what will probably be his ideal ground.

i still think that last race form of his was very good [on that type of going]timewise if they did indeed go slow early...maybe Sublimity is that well that they have no choice but to run him..I can't really be backing S on the ground though

a good run for you Relkeel..hope you did the place..BI had a race perfectly framed here for his strengths...why they ran sublimity is a mystery...it's a p*ss poor prep race for cheltenham...very strange training methods employed imo

I thought Sublimity would be withdrawn when I saw the persistent rain. I suppose it's easy with hindsight and I believe Sublimity was found to have a throat infection afterwards but it's hard to understand the logic behind running today.

I didn't back Muirhead for a place. My apprentice, Gearoid, will explain why.

I thought Muirhead could have been given a more positive ride. Why sit there swinging off the bridle, let Brave Ince jump the last a length clear and then try to outbattle the outbattleable?

I thought Sublimity would be withdrawn when I saw the persistent rain. I suppose it's easy with hindsight and I believe Sublimity was found to have a throat infection afterwards but it's hard to understand the logic behind running today.

I thought Muirhead could have been given a more positive ride. Why sit there swinging off the bridle, let Brave Ince jump the last a length clear and then try to outbattle the outbattleable?

I presume the jockeys arguement would be that if he took him on any earlier with would give Brave Inca longer to fight back.

I thought Muirhead ran a cracker, found loads of the bridle but Brave Inca just found more.

Well, maybe he was trying to get past in one swoop.

I just felt a bit frustrated. I think that, given slightly different circumstances, Muirhead could have won.

That's not to take anything away from Brave Inca, of course. He is a legend.

Relkeel has a set of balls. none of this nancy boy each way stuff. I backed Muirhead on the nose @ 7/2, I'll admit if I was not on course it would have been an each way bet. I'll never learn! Paid 10/11 a place on the tote.

Back