Road To The Champion Hurdle

Rooster Booster was aided by the pace collapsing in his CH..that exaggerated his superiority on the day

a good workmanlike hurdler..nothing out of the ordinary though...imo

he won just 3/18 after his CH win..many of those losses when expected to win

Last edited:
Is that the same Rooster Booster that Harchibald gave a 20 length advantage to and beat him on the bridle.

No it wasn't. That was a Rooster Booster that was 18 months past his best.
Equally, I'd argue it was Harchibald that had the 20l 'advantage' that day.

Is that the same Rooster Booster that Harchibald gave a 20 length advantage to and beat him on the bridle.

Rooster Booster was so good that he was kept in the Champion Hurdle betting until 3 years after his death, due to popular demand.

The Booster was very easy on the eye - I will never forget the vision of him still pulling a train coming down the hill the year he won his CH! His head was still going from side to side at the second last as if he had just joined the race - Johnston could barely hold one side of him at that stage. Visually very very impressive victory! A lot slicker jumper than Istabraq but not in the same league.

I think some of the more astute forumites are still discounting Peddlers Cross at their peril!! Could be the first CH and GC winner since Dawn Run!:whistle:

The Booster hit spectacular heights late in his career in 2002/3 and then they all spent the following year running races at a slow pace to get him beat - his TGT performance in defeat was a mighty effort .

By the time he met Harchibald he was on the decline . In the 2003 CH he was top top class.

The Booster hit spectacular heights late in his career in 2002/3 and then they all spent the following year running races at a slow pace to get him beat - his TGT performance in defeat was a mighty effort .

By the time he met Harchibald he was on the decline . In the 2003 CH he was top top class.

I seem to remember you blaming Johnson a lot.

when he led Harchibald by 25 and lost - it wasn't down to pace was it?

to say that every race wasn't run to suit is down to the connections isn't it?..they either make the running or stick a lead horse in for RB to shadow..you can just ignore the rest of the field then

the truth is..RB wasn't that good..is why he lost those 15 races

the reason he pissed the CH was that he relied on others running TOO fast early on and the pace collapsing..unfortunately you don't get many races run like that at that level..hence he didn't get handed any more races.

Last edited:
You said advantage. There was no advantage, they simply ran their races in different pace sectionals.

Dunguib to go for Red Mills at Gowran

Byrnes has the Aintree Hurdle rather than Cheltenham as a long-term target for Solwhit, although he did has given the horse an entry for the Festival in March:
“Later on I felt, to be fair to the horse, he was entitled to have an entry in the English Champion Hurdle but we would be looking more at Aintree. ”.

Byrnes has the Aintree Hurdle rather than Cheltenham as a long-term target for Solwhit, although he did has given the horse an entry for the Festival in March:
“Later on I felt, to be fair to the horse, he was entitled to have an entry in the English Champion Hurdle but we would be looking more at Aintree. ”.

Has he ever been fair to that horse??? Bet-fair maybe!!

Last edited:

Has he ever been fair to that horse??? Bet-fair maybe!!

Libel....

Did I hear Willie Mullins say that Mikhaels chasing career was on hold and he had a preference for the Champion over Stayers Hurdle.

I was on a late lunch today and there was an interview with Willie on ATR-I thought I heard him say the chasing career was on hold but I was dealing with 2 children and a dog at the time.

Strange news all round recently about Mikael. I got an email from my mate today saying that the Stayers was the confirmed target.

He hasn't been moved to Martin Pipe by any chance, has he?

PS. I'm sure our friend Mr Delargy also posted some weeks ago that MdH would end up in the Stayers. Did I imagine that, Rory?

Did I hear Willie Mullins say that Mikhaels chasing career was on hold and he had a preference for the Champion over Stayers Hurdle.

Well he did release a statement a day or two ago saying he was staying chasing and his next run would be in the Moriarty. But where Willie is concerenced it's best to take everything with a pinch of salt, I doubt he'd tell is own son what his plans are.

Am I missing something in the hurdle race at Ascot? Soldatino and Walkon are 4s and 9s respectively - I assumed they would both head the Market.

Back