Road To The Champion Hurdle

Coming through safely was probably the most important thing today. He did it nicely and a worthwhile win in itself, but I don't think we learnt anything we didn't know already.

Hamm called me strange. I want that to be my legacy.

I'm finding it difficult to have a strong opinion on the Champion Hurdle. Hurricane is a complete wildcard, the fact that he's missed Cheltenham the last two years makes it very difficult to assess where he stands. Add in the fact that last year's novice contenders have only run sparingly this year [or not at all, in the case of Dunguib] then it's a race to watch for the moment.

Much as I'm in the Hurricane Fly camp, Bobbyjo, I have to agree with you.

Right now, anyone of four or five could win it, and I'm largely for one horse over the others, because HF's an animal I refuse to let go, until I'm satisfied that his improvement is at an end. I'm convinced he only needs to find a handful of lbs to reach Champion Hurdle winning level, and I'm further convinced that he is capable of doing so. :cool:

Last edited:
A question for HF fans - when was the last race in which he showed he had improved?
At 2m, he has probably run to a consistent 160/161 or therabouts in his last three outings. 5lbs more improvement would be sufficient to serve it right up to Binocular in the Champion Hurdle. He isn't showing an upward curve in terms of his terms of his form, but then again, he isn't being entirely extended either.

Last edited:
Anyone else think Willie Mullins was genuinely surprised at the tactics adopted by the two horses? He seemed very slow to praise Townend on his victorious ride. He didn't go as far as to resort to citisism, so maybe I'm seeing something not there, but I suspect someone might get an earful on the way home.

At 2m, he has probably run to a consistent 160/161 or therabouts in his last three outings. 5lbs more improvement would be sufficient to serve it right up to Binocular in the Champion Hurdle. He isn't showing an upward curve in terms of his terms of his form, but then again, he isn't being entirely extended either.

Cheers. That would be a worry - unextended is great, but there is only so long a horse can be given credit for it, if that makes sense.

Would you not have Binocular 170 or over?

A question for HF fans - when was the last race in which he showed he had improved?

Cheers. That would be a worry - unextended is great, but there is only so long a horse can be given credit for it, if that makes sense.

Would you not have Binocular 170 or over?

If a horse is consistently running to 160 or thereabouts without being extended, it should be given the benefit of the doubt until it disappoints, imo.

Binocular would be about 168 at his best - again, imo. Whether HF can make the required improvement is the imponderable, but I have faith that he will be even better in a true-run race, and that he is sufficiently versatile tactically to go close in a sprint. He goes on all ground, he has the required combi ation of speed and stamina, he jumps well and always gives his running. The only question mark is the track, and even then I'm unconcerned, as he's already proven on a stiff undulating course (Punchestown).

For me, he ticks every box as far as a Champion Hurdle prospect is concerned.

If a horse is consistently running to 160 or thereabouts without being extended, it should be given the benefit of the doubt until it disappoints, imo.

Binocular would be about 168 at his best - again, imo. Whether HF can make the required improvement is the imponderable, but I have faith that he will be even better in a true-run race, and that he is sufficiently versatile tactically to go close in a sprint. He goes on all ground, he has the required combi ation of speed and stamina, he jumps well and always gives his running. The only question mark is the track, and even then I'm unconcerned, as he's already proven on a stiff undulating course (Punchestown).

For me, he ticks every box as far as a Champion Hurdle prospect is concerned.

it looked a pretty strong pace today I thought

HF is a very consistent horse..but is he just consistent at his level..ie 7 or 8lb shy of CH class?

it looked a pretty strong pace today I thought

HF is a very consistent horse..but is he just consistent at his level..ie 7 or 8lb shy of CH class?

Barry Geraghty seems to think that HF is a few pounds below Binocular, Menorah and Peddlers Cross per his interview today.

its quite hard getting a handle on these hurdlers form wise isn't it.

Solwhit is a solid enough marker at about 165..but his poor run in the last CH throws you out with the link to our hurdlers

HF is about a 167 horse using S as that marker..Binocular is a 172 horse

they are OHR's

can he improve 5 lengths is the question..he doesn't appear to be improving using S as that marker..he didn't win with lots in hand today for example

Barry Geraghty seems to think that HF is a few pounds below Binocular, Menorah and Peddlers Cross per his interview today.

That's my thinking as well.

Could DJ or someone knowledgeable on that sphere explain in theory or practice how long a horse would keep a + sign? I think he has had enough chances and I think Solwhit is not the best marker.

Last edited:
That's my thinking as well.

Could DJ or someone knowledgeable on that sphere explain in theory if practice how long a horse would keep a + sign? I think he had had enough chances and I think Solwhit is not the best marker.

solwhit is an excellent marker surely?

HF beats him a similar margin each time

I thought Hurricane Fly was running a bit flat come the line today - taking into account the comments of the trainer, I would imagine they will freshen him up ahead of his Cheltenham run after a pretty busy period. Sense of relief on their part that they got today out of the way.

What I did love today was when they kicked on down the back his jumping got better and better at speed after been a bit sticky at a couple of the early hurdles.

As for the margin of victory, his style of racing (by kicking clear after the last) is going to ensure that there will not be much of a difference by the distance he wins by but the authority will be the same nonetheless.

Is Hurricane Fly's continual beating of a multiple Grade 1 winning hurdler inferior to Binocular beating a Galway hurdle winner?

That is not Binicular's best form.

Anyway, i would back Overturn over Solwhit in a match race.

i am getting the idea that they are mopping up a few weak races with HF..with the view that he might just not be a serious CH horse

a slight Beefy taste :)

Mullins runs his horses - that's his style. Irish Champion is a bit more than just a Grade 1

Back