Road To The Champion Hurdle

11/4 was probably a bit short anyway and that just gives them a bit of an excuse to lengthen him and attract some money. He'll be a lot shorter on the day.

Is his jumping slick enough for it. I like this horse but there is no hiding place in the Champion.

I really like some of the form lines Cantoris..take on board your comments..will certainly need to improve more but is lightly raced.

Excusing his run against Menorah..which was only his 3rd hurdle run..some of the beatings he has handed out put him right up there

Celestail Halo for instance..there are only 2 horses that have beaten him in double figure lengths..i discount his Aintree run as the CH bottomed him that year..just Binocular beat him 12L and OW beat him 13L

Won In The dark - last run beaten 14L by HF..today was 19L behind OW

Tenous form lines but the Halo one is of most interest as he doesn't get hammered that easily too often

I think Menorah is his main opponent in the CH..and using Any Given Day as a marker it could be argued M is better than him..but maybe OW is fast on the upward cylcle..he certainly captures my imagination more than the others.

Last edited:
Seriously contemplating going in again on Peddlers after his drift to 6's today. It will be brilliant management of the horse by McCain after all the races cancelled - his biggest danger is overcooking him now. Binocular just doesn't do it for me. Think you are taking a leap of faith with both Dunguib and Oscar Whiskey lads. Will Fenton even get Dunguib to Cheltenham?

Seriously contemplating going in again on Peddlers after his drift to 6's today. It will be brilliant management of the horse by McCain after all the races cancelled - his biggest danger is overcooking him now. Binocular just doesn't do it for me. Think you are taking a leap of faith with both Dunguib and Oscar Whiskey lads. Will Fenton even get Dunguib to Cheltenham?

Binocular has never done it for me but won so easy last year..he's a puzzle alright

Binocular has never done it for me but won so easy last year..he's a puzzle alright

I wasn't worried about Binocular last year and am far from worried this year. He did all that we might reasonably expect yesterday. The Champion could be a harder race this year but reproduction of anything near his level of best form will win it for him. For me Menorah and Peddlar's Cross still represent the only dangers to him regaining it. I'll be topping up at Ladbrokes with 7/2.

Last edited:
Won In The dark - last run beaten 14L by HF..today was 19L behind OW

I wouldn't use WITD as a form line for anything. Leopardstown suits him better than Ffos Las and he is very ground dependent. Good soft and soft soft makes a huge difference to him, if you know what I mean. So very hard to tell.

Quite remarkable Steve that you had no worries last year about a horse that connections felt necessary to send him to Ireland to the Coolmore vets so puzzled they were about his performances.

I wouldn't use WITD as a form line for anything. Leopardstown suits him better than Ffos Las and he is very ground dependent. Good soft and soft soft makes a huge difference to him, if you know what I mean. So very hard to tell.

yes- its a tenous one..the other one more telling maybe

at 14/1 ish its definately the value play imo

Why are you "excusing" his Supreme run anyway? That might be his best form.

If Dunguib makes the Festival that's two animal OW has to turn form around with. I'm sure they'll be better 14/1 shots.

Last edited:
I do think Oscar Whisky is going to be a class horse but I would have liked to see him going for the World Hurdle - at the moment i've got him down for the 2012 RSA and I fancy he'll win a King George. Just an instinct at this moment in time.

Why are you "excusing" his Supreme run anyway? That might be his best form.

If Dunguib makes the Festival that's two animal OW has to turn form around with. I'm sure they'll be better 14/1 shots.

I don't think it is his best form..trouncing CH is

either way he is way overpriced..should be 7/1 ish ..potential is there for all to see

Hardy Eustace won over 2.5 miles..not sure its a sign taht a horse wants a world hurdle..the CH is a very stiff 2miles..that stamina comes in handy

Dunguib = hype horse imo..not keen

Last edited:
Celestial Halo was a goner at the game long before Oscar Whisky beat him, EC1. That reasoning is wafer thin, imo.

Not saying that Oscar Whiskey can't win but Dunguib went the long way around Cheltenham last year and still beat him.

That and the unusual lack of a hectic pace for the Supreme. Just hope the Gowran race being put back a week doesn't harm his chances.

As Pricewise posted earlier - didnt like OW's jumping yesterday either. He made several mistakes and seemed very low over the last two- he is a smashing athletic animal but a CH winner? Needs to improve more than a couple of others - possible but unlikely.
Fenton is in trouble with Dunguib now - the Gowran race is now postponed until the 19th giving him 24 days between then and Cheltenham - he would want to put in some performance in Gowran to be a decent arb bet. He should have had the horse ready to run at Christmas - the season is over in April FFS!!:mad:

Last edited:
Celestial Halo was a goner at the game long before Oscar Whisky beat him, EC1. That reasoning is wafer thin, imo.

he is still the only horse to do him for double figure lengths though

i am assuming no one thinks OW has improved since Cheltenham last year from reading the comments about Dunguib beating him

i think OW is an improver..thats the type that wins a CH..yes the hurdling is a slight worry..but 14/1

Back