Road To The Champion Hurdle

Cant find any news re Peddlers - if he is coughing does he also miss Ffos Las - or is it just a minor bout???:rolleyes:

Yes if he misses one due to it he will miss the other. Hopefully a minor setback though.

See link: http://blog.bangorondeeraces.co.uk/bangor-blog

Bit of a hold up for Peddlers Cross

Good afternoon – a bit of news on Peddlers Cross as I like to keep everyone informed.
As can happen when a horse's plans are disrupted, Peddlers unfortunately gave a cough as he came off the gallops this morning. The end result of this is that he is highly unlikely to run this weekend and we will have to let him tell us what the next move is. This is a shame, and we will just have to play it be ear.
With regard to Overturn, I have always been leaning to either the Kingwell (Wincanton) or the Morebattle (Kelso) next weekend and that probably remains the case. Alegralil and Dorabelle are also both entered on Saturday, but we will wait and see how they are before making a decision on Friday morning.

Last edited:
Yes if he misses one due to it he will miss the other. Hopefully a minor setback though.

See link: http://blog.bangorondeeraces.co.uk/bangor-blog

Bit of a hold up for Peddlers Cross

Good afternoon – a bit of news on Peddlers Cross as I like to keep everyone informed.
As can happen when a horse's plans are disrupted, Peddlers unfortunately gave a cough as he came off the gallops this morning. The end result of this is that he is highly unlikely to run this weekend and we will have to let him tell us what the next move is. This is a shame, and we will just have to play it be ear.
With regard to Overturn, I have always been leaning to either the Kingwell (Wincanton) or the Morebattle (Kelso) next weekend and that probably remains the case. Alegralil and Dorabelle are also both entered on Saturday, but we will wait and see how they are before making a decision on Friday morning.

Thanks Steve - not great news is it?:(

"The maddest thing I ever read on this forum was that McManus had a touch when Istabraq was pulled up in Champion Hurdle."

Luke, let's not go there again; don't know about JP;) but it was good news for the bookies.:)

Thanks Steve - not great news is it?:(

Note that he appears relaxed about running Overturn as well. I didn't expect Peddlar's to line up against a rejuvenated Binocular anyway this side of the Champion.

I wouldn't read too much into this re Peddlar's well being. I reckon he'll be fine when we see him next. Saying he coughed on the gallops (which he may well have done) is preferable to saying: we don't want a hard race against the reigning Champion Hurdler at this stage in his build up. He has to be careful they don't over cook him. He won't want to get it wrong and is being cautious... that's all I reckon.

January 8th 2011.
Out of sorts Barizan to be given a break. Evan Williams said “I very much doubt if Barizan will run in the Christmas Hurdle and we’ll probably wait till Spring with him.”

February 2nd 2011.
Williams favouring Ffos Las challenge for Barizan.
TRAINER Evan Williams is likely to run Barizan in the William Hill Welsh Champion Hurdle at Ffos Las on Saturday and is hoping the five-year-old can rediscover the form which saw him placed at the Cheltenham and Aintree festivals before winning a Grade 1 at Punchestown last term.

Hope you enjoyed your break Barizan. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the first day of Spring in March? I am going to start and take anything Evan WIlliams says with a pinch of salt as this is not the first time I have heard something and then the complete opposite happens.

"The maddest thing I ever read on this forum was that McManus had a touch when Istabraq was pulled up in Champion Hurdle."

Luke, let's not go there again; don't know about JP;) but it was good news for the bookies.:)

Whereas it was bad news for the bookies when he won on his previous four appearances at the festival.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the first day of Spring in March?

In Ireland it is 1st February, St Brigid's Day. Growth starts a fair bit sooner than further east. Perhaps in west Wales they also consider that spring arrives in February?

I should add that maybe Evan Williams was talking of astrological spring.

Becuase March 20th or 21st is the vernal equinox, so that would be mid spring, so spring would start on February 2nd or 3rd.

So the Ffos Las race is in astrological spring so you all owe Evan an apology.

I should add that maybe Evan Williams was talking of astrological spring.

Becuase March 20th or 21st is the vernal equinox, so that would be mid spring, so spring would start on February 2nd or 3rd.

So the Ffos Las race is in astrological spring so you all owe Evan an apology.

:lol:Aye,and maybe when he said 'he's working better than his mark and should be able to land a few races' about a horse he once had in his care for someone I know, he was talking about Barizan and not theirs cos it never looked like winning a race! Dodgy!

Remarkably underwhelming trials tomorrow in Wales and Sandown.

Binocular faces Siberian Tiger and two horse rated 3.5 stone lower than him at Sandown.

Oscar Whisky takes on Won in the Dark, Barizan, Black Jack Blues and Tarkari.

What do you think to Moloney going for Tarkari rather than Barizan BTB?

Maybe its just to try and re-enthuse the horse as I wouldn't see Tarkari being up to this class tomorrow.

Back