Road To The Champion Hurdle

When was the last festival where there was truly soft ground? With the way the weather is going could we be on for a slower surface this year - slow ground wouldn't help my ante post book one bit!

Only if the ban was for 4 days or less. As it's a 7-day ban, that's not possible.

Is his ban 2 separate bans put together - 5 days for excessive and 2 for marking? If so, and he were to get it reduced to say 3 or 4 on appeal for excessive but still with the 2 for marking, would he be able to defer? It wouldn't surprise me if this was the turn out of events.

Last edited:
Khyber Kim looked very well and was very impressive in his piece of work today at Kempton with Astracad, who he kicked into another county whilst still pulling double. They went a decent clip as well, the horse is a massive price at 25/1, he's got to be an each way bet to nothing.

Oh, and even though on wrong thread it's related to my previous post - I can't have that Imperial Commander was 'back to his best'. I thought he was most unimpressive and he made heavy weather of it; although finishing upsides Sybarite was clearly going the better with Paddy riding Imperial Commander out having done so all down the straight.

Khyber Kim looked very well and was very impressive in his piece of work today at Kempton with Astracad, who he kicked into another county whilst still pulling double. They went a decent clip as well, the horse is a massive price at 25/1, he's got to be an each way bet to nothing.

Fighting talk -I like it.

Celestial Halo should be around 1-5 in the place market tomorrow-considering the hard race he had last week,the season he has had so far and Fontwell not being everyones cup of tea I will have to consider laying him for a place.

When was the last festival where there was truly soft ground? With the way the weather is going could we be on for a slower surface this year - slow ground wouldn't help my ante post book one bit!

Current met office forecast (so not entirely reliable :lol:)

UK Outlook for Thursday 3 Mar 2011 to Saturday 12 Mar 2011:

A cool and generally settled start to the outlook across much of the UK, with variable amounts of cloud but also some bright or sunny periods. Southern, central and eastern regions are the most likely areas to see dull and cold conditions with some wintry showers at the start of the period. High pressure should build during the weekend and into the new week, however, with most places then becoming dry. Overnight frost and fog patches are likely under clear spells for many with temperatures below normal for the time of year. Towards the second weekend, the weather may start to turn more unsettled in the northwest, with an increasing likelihood of wind and rain here and temperatures generally returning to near normal.

The rules are the rules. I'm pretty sure Dunwoody missed the Festival in it's entirety one yea, after trying to put Luke Harvey through a rail at a ludicrously minor event three weeks before Cheltenham. Jason Maguire should take his punishment and any appeal should be tossed out.

Norman Williamson missed the festival one year owing to a ban imposed by the Doncaster stewards at the equivalent meeting to which Jason Maguire received his ban.

Conspiracy theory anyone ?:D

Current met office forecast (so not entirely reliable :lol:)

UK Outlook for Thursday 3 Mar 2011 to Saturday 12 Mar 2011:

A cool and generally settled start to the outlook across much of the UK, with variable amounts of cloud but also some bright or sunny periods. Southern, central and eastern regions are the most likely areas to see dull and cold conditions with some wintry showers at the start of the period. High pressure should build during the weekend and into the new week, however, with most places then becoming dry. Overnight frost and fog patches are likely under clear spells for many with temperatures below normal for the time of year. Towards the second weekend, the weather may start to turn more unsettled in the northwest, with an increasing likelihood of wind and rain here and temperatures generally returning to near normal.

For what it's worth, the fourteen day forecast on accuweather shows no rain from tomorrow until 13th March.

Scudamore was exceptionally fortunate to get only 3 days for his appallingly careless ride on Dan Breen ( look at some of the 5/6 day bans handed out on the flat in recent years) . I imagine the consequences of a longer ban was in the minds of the stewards.

Last edited:
As for Maguire what strikes me as objectionable is that he has really been doubly punished for the same offence .

Consider the analogy with criminal damage and burglary . If you break into a house with an intention to steal technically both offences are committed but the criminal damage and burglary include the same act and hence you only charge for one offence.

Surely, unless a horse is known to be very susceptible to being marked even without being hit hard - excessive use of the whip and marking the horse arise from the same acts i.e excessive use .

Accordingly, he should have been punished only for marking the horse and his penalty should be reduced to five days .

Celestial Halo should be around 1-5 in the place market tomorrow-considering the hard race he had last week,the season he has had so far and Fontwell not being everyones cup of tea I will have to consider laying him for a place.

1.29 at the moment..and there is 3 places

brave call;)

I couldn't be backing CH over 2m4f.

Trenchant at the prices looks a decent bet. Won this last year in similar conditions and has the blinkers on today.

Sure is, EC1. ;)

So, CH beats a 149-rated horse a cosy half-dozen lengths in receipt of 4lbs, putting him in the early-150's - which more or less where I would have had him going into the race.

Clearly, though, he hasn't 'gone' as far as I'd imagined. It appears that he can still make his presence felt in hopelessly poorly-contested Graded hurdles. :<3:

Sure is, EC1. ;)

So, CH beats a 149-rated horse a cosy half-dozen lengths in receipt of 4lbs, putting him in the early-150's - which more or less where I would have had him going into the race.

Clearly, though, he hasn't 'gone' as far as I'd imagined. It appears that he can still make his presence felt in hopelessly poorly-contested Graded hurdles. :<3:

such a poor race that Luke fancied place laying him and no one fancied him on here :D

he won easy according to the commentary..think you can add 5 lbs like you guys normally do when one of your fav horses wins easy;)

Back