Road To The Champion Hurdle

Are we not in danger of getting carried away with Peddles Cross. For all his potential he is stepping back in trip and up in class and will come on for the run. I would want to be on Starluck in a match bet.

The stepping back in trip doesn't bother me as historically quite a few winners of the Novice event he won at the Festival ended up as Champion Hurdlers. Starluck won't beat him on anything other than good ground over this sort of trip.

Are we not in danger of getting carried away with Peddles Cross. For all his potential he is stepping back in trip and up in class and will come on for the run. I would want to be on Starluck in a match bet.

Completely agree regarding PC - stuck him in my ten to follow but begining to scratch my head as to why.

I'd take you on. Starluck will not beat Peddler's Cross. No frickin chance.

The stepping back in trip doesn't bother me as historically quite a few winners of the Novice event he won at the Festival ended up as Champion Hurdlers. Starluck won't beat him on anything other than good ground over this sort of trip.

Istabraq won it didn't he? I know Monsignor did. I'm not suggesting Peddlers Cross is the next Istabraq but I do think he could be a monster this year. Seriously good horse.

Monsignor cannot be used as an example for a horse who boosted (or poo-poohed) the race's proclivity to produce 2 mile hurdlers.

He never raced after his RSA hurdle win, although I do believe he is back in training, looking very well and expected to line up in one of the Cheltenham trials in the new year.

I wasn't using him as an example, just for the fact he was the only winner I could think of, off the top of my head apart from Mikael D'Haguenet who hasn't run since.

Last edited:
It all depends on which Binocular turns up - in fact I would say that goes for all the races he runs in . If the Champion Hurdler turns up they will all be fighting for second.

I love the way presenters/commentators feel to need to point out evertimne he runs that he is not the current champion hurdler!

Will have far more interest in the fairyhouse hurdle race this weekend than the fighting fifth

I will be glued to Fighting Fifth - cannot wait to see Peddlers - he is a serious machine - not a huge Binocular fan - probably a bit of pocket talk after last years clear the mortgage bet on Khyber in CH - I hope and am trying to convince myself that we have only scratched the surface yet with Peddlers whereas it's all about March with Binocular and to 7/2 or even 3/1 is monster on the Cross Saturday - fingers crossed they go ahead!!

Colin Tizzard has dropped the biggest hint yet that he is considering letting Cue Card take on the best in the two-mile hurdling division in the coming weeks.Last season's Champion Bumper winner has made a seamless transition to jumping obstacles, winning as he liked on his introduction at Aintree before following up in Grade Two company at Cheltenham.
Tizzard has refused to rule out a tilt at the Champion Hurdle at the Festival and it appears he could now step out of novice company sooner rather than later, with the StanJames.com International Hurdle on December 11 under consideration.
"He's absolutely fine and is just doing gentle canters, so we'll look for something next month," said Tizzard.
"We haven't decided what we're going to do yet, but all I can say is it won't be a £5,000 novice hurdle, it will be something a bit more juicy than that."
Asked if the International was under consideration, the trainer added: "It wouldn't be out of order to say that we are considering that race.
"The horse is in exceptional form at the moment and to be fair, he hasn't had a hard race this season at all.
"The ones that have finished second and third to him are the ones that have been having hard races. He's been sluicing up without coming off the bridle.
"He's in the form of his life and we can't just sit on him and do nothing.
"That would be silly so it will be something like that (International) at that time."

Oh, nice... I was in M&S last week and a red-faced chap went stomping past me, muttering under his breath as his wife sailed gaily ahead, "I can't stand this trailing round stores!" And still four weeks to go, sir!

I think he'll be hard to beat in March. I know Binocular probably hasn't run to his best, but Peddlers Cross just gives and gives.

Last edited:
Think Binocular looked a little bit tubby - be interested to hear what those paddock side thought. But impressive from the winner and second.

Back