Road To The Champion Hurdle

Mellish described Binocular as a disappointing CH winner - utter crap .

Last year there was evidently a significant problem - yesterday he went down to an exceptionally promising novice and a speed horse off a steady pace .

McCoy did not hit the horse once , he jumped really well and just blew up after the last . Anyone drawing firm conclusions that PC would beat Binocular again was being very premature.

In fairness, Ardross, that's not what he said. He said you'd want your CH winner to be more impressive and win more often than the horse actually does, which is fair enough. I am with Rory and think that Hislop and Mellish's pre and post racing musings were sound.

Binocular is becoming more and more dissapointing,
it looks the champion hdl a fluke and looks a horse to oppose in any company for me

Pedlers Cross at cheltenham and faster pace should beat him more easily.

Mellish described Binocular as a disappointing CH winner - utter crap .
As Simon says, the ever considered Steve Mellish described Binocular as an extremely talented winner of the Champion Hurdle, but one who shows his brilliance too rarely, which is a very fair point. He's been beaten favourite in a Supreme, a Champion Hurdle, two Fighting Fifths and a Christmas Hurdle on his way to the top, and it's not like he's been a Night Nurse against Sea Pigeons, or even Birds Nests. Punters and racefans have, for whatever reason, been left slightly short changed by this champion, despite his brilliance.

As many of you know I’m a big fan of Binocular, but wasn’t tempted to back him on Saturday due to the presence of the hugely talented Peddlers Cross and the fast improving Starluck. No doubt at all that Binocular will come on for this (similar to last season), but it’s shaping to be an especially competitive renewal of the Champion this time round. (Very taken with Menorah the other day also) and some other fine candidates yet to appear.

I don't buy into the theory that Starluck is "fast improving". The race was run to suit and he is one to catch first-time-out, imo - I don't particularly expect to see him go on from this outing.

For all that Peddlers is a real high-class animal, I'd worry about whether he has the tactical speed for a Champion Hurdle. I can see him getting done for toe turning down the hill, before staying on strongly. But the winner might have bolted before he gets up to full tilt. His odds look short enough to me.

Is Peddlers Cross the English Solwhit (not a bad horse to be but never a Champion Hurdle winner)?

I don't buy into the theory that Starluck is "fast improving". The race was run to suit and he is one to catch first-time-out, imo - I don't particularly expect to see him go on from this outing.

Agree to a large extent, but think he'll always look better on a flat track. Could be interesting for the xmas hurdle but in what looks a good year you'd be disappointed to see him winning it.

He's a 5yo and three of his last four runs have broken 160 from a stone below that before. Fast improving sounds about right to me.

Starluck is one of my darker-horse picks for this season. I expected him to run well on Saturday and expect him to continue to build on this. He'd be in the mix with a handful of them come the Champion Hurdle. Would depend on conditions as to his chances.

Peddlers Cross is doing everything right as far as I can see.

Last edited:
I agree with what you say about Starluck, Steve, he is a young horse and was entitled to improve from spring to autumn. But I was disappointed he didn't give Peddlers more of a rattle in the final furlong. He was cruising and must have been favourite in running but seemed to produce very little. Or maybe he did raise his game and Peddlers just brushed him off?

Thanks, Luke. He was the last of them to come off the bridle and I thought he would really put it up to Peddlers.

Starluck is a decent horse, but he looks very like a bridle horse, high cruising speed but when it comes down to the business end he just doesn't find a lot. He will always be seen at his best on a flat track, I would ignore how far he was beaten in last season's Champion Hurdle, he wouldn't get near last Saturday's principals at Cheltenham, as was bourne out last March.

JohnJ

I agree with what you say about Starluck, Steve, he is a young horse and was entitled to improve from spring to autumn. But I was disappointed he didn't give Peddlers more of a rattle in the final furlong. He was cruising and must have been favourite in running but seemed to produce very little. Or maybe he did raise his game and Peddlers just brushed him off?

I think Peddlers is very good indeed though and it was no disgrace to be held off by that one.

Starluck
nice horse, I dont think he was at his best on saturday , he needs a faster ground and tighter course but at his best he is not better than 160 for me.

Back