Road to the Epsom Derby 2011

Carlton House was very impressive today - I think talk of Seville beating him ever again is nonsense. I strongly believe he is a lump job even though I have Recital backed at decent odds.

Really happy with CH performance yesterday as I backed him at big odds for the Derby a few weeks ago. Nice story as well behind him:

The fascinating tale of how the Queen came to acquire the three year-old, who holds an excellent chance of winning the only British Classic to have eluded her in six decades of owning racehorses, came to light in post-Dante discussions with her racing manager John Warren.
In the autumn of 2009, Sheikh Mohammed, through his agents, made an attractive offer for the Queen’s talented but headstrong middle-distance horse Highland Glen, who had shown a reluctance to enter the stalls.
Sheikh Mohammed was buying the horse for his son Sheikh Mansoor to race in Dubai.
Warren explained that Highland Glen had caused the Queen some embarrassment when he refused to enter the starting gate in front of a massive crowd at Goodwood that year and she was apprehensive about the sale.
“Sheikh Mohammed had made a nice offer but because Highland Glen was quirky, the Queen didn’t want to accept the money. Instead, she gave the horse to Sheikh Mohammed,” Warren explained.
Then, after Highland Glen had won at Meydan soon after purchase, Sheikh Mohammed contacted Warren to offer a selection of four yearlings as his reciprocal gift to the Queen.
“He was saying thank-you, and it was a typically generous gesture on his behalf.
"He hand-picked them himself, and Carlton House was one of them. The man knows his horses,” Warren said.

Also, I am very happy about Streec Cry´s success. He really is the best global stallion in the world at the moment and his success in Europe is only gonna improve in years to come. Hopefully he can sire the Epsom Derby winner this year and complete a transatlantic Derby double like great sires such as Nijinsky, Hail to Reason and Hyperion did.

Last edited:
If we believe the story, when Sheik Mo. sent the four horses to the Queen (early 2010) CH was already a 2-y-o. I don´t think the horse was tested in any way as he looks a really backward individual, but he must have shown some ability by then.

Last edited:
The more I hear about him and see him in action - the more I am convinced his is a cool dude!:cool:
Sheikh Mo we salute you sir!!
He replaces Tiger Woods at my table of six dinner party..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
CH impressive, but the slow pace has to give the form a bit of a question mark. He deserves to be favourite, but not quite as a "lump job". While he'll probably stay 12F, there are others who may be even better suited by a longer trip and a faster pace.

Cecil is probably correct in his assessment of Frankel's requirements. He possesses the pedigree of a horse likely to stay 10f, and possibly 12f if amenable to restraint, but he has a sprinter's attitude. He'll never be taught to settle.

There have been a number of Guineas winners, Tudor Minstrel, Mystiko and Mon Fils are three examples, supposedly certain on breeding to stay 12F, and none of them got a yard beyond a mile

Interesting background info, LBM. The Queen evidently likes the name Carlton House, it's the second one she's owned.

Could someone explain why Native Khan is 16/1 for this? This seems very big in comparison to some of the opposition. Ed Dunlop has won the Oaks twice...so he knows what it takes to win at Epsom.

More support today for Pour Moi which is encouraging - Anyone know if connections have indicated he will definitely run?

Could someone explain why Native Khan is 16/1 for this? This seems very big in comparison to some of the opposition. Ed Dunlop has won the Oaks twice...so he knows what it takes to win at Epsom.

See my post further up the thread, much rather be on him than anything else at the prices. Should stay and ran a fantastic race behind Frankel.

See my post further up the thread, much rather be on him than anything else at the prices. Should stay and ran a fantastic race behind Frankel.

but he didn't actually run a fantastic race..he ran with a massive pace favour

if he had been with the pace and still finished where he did i would agree..a fantastic race

He ran closest to the furious pace and still finished in the frame. Everything else that tried to go with the pace fell in a hole.

Compare his run to Dubawi Gold's who was suited by the furious pace.

He ran closest to the furious pace and still finished in the frame. Everything else that tried to go with the pace fell in a hole.

Compare his run to Dubawi Gold's who was suited by the furious pace.

none really went with the pace though..that was happening 15 length in front of em to be fair

i can see where you are coming from but i think neither the 2nd or 3rd actually did anything that special..obviously would love to see both do well next time..or it will be..oooh the guineas form is shit

Any speed figure fans rated Pour Moi's run up at St Cloud last weekend?

I've got it insanely fast on my figures and I've even hand timed the race to check it's correct. I have question marks over his attitude and size (looks very small) and whether he'll turn up on the day but the Fav is a terrible price now so I might add him to my portfolio on the day at around the 5-6 mark rather than take the 8s now.

It looked a strongly run affair Stan but I don't rate races so can't help.

As I have him at massive prices I hope you're right and he does turn up.

Any speed figure fans rated Pour Moi's run up at St Cloud last weekend?

I've got it insanely fast on my figures and I've even hand timed the race to check it's correct. I have question marks over his attitude and size (looks very small) and whether he'll turn up on the day but the Fav is a terrible price now so I might add him to my portfolio on the day at around the 5-6 mark rather than take the 8s now.

If Pour Moi's speed figures are good he may well be the answer. There is no question about his stamina.

His form looks better now too Steve - Prairie Star beat him on their seasonal return and won the Prix Hocquart (G2) today at Longchamp

Recital beat Prairie Star by 7 lengths in the Criterium de Saint-Cloud.
He also beat Bubble Chic by 5 lengths, and he was a 1.5 lengths second to Pour Moi in the Prix Greffulhe. It was heavy ground in the Criterium de Saint-Cloud, but I don't think Recital needs it soft.

It sounds like he should be odds on. Guaranteed stayer, too.

Hope you are both right - wonder what Aidan is talking about in relation to this big announcement - looks pretty straighforward to me - runs the two pacemakers as per Derrinstown (Memphis Tennessee could be this years Golden Sword) and Seville with Recital their main protagonist.

The favourite while being worthy of his position is a terrible price. He did it very easily and I cannot see a decent gallop in the Derby being to his disadvantage.

It sounds like he should be odds on. Guaranteed stayer, too.

Yes Recital ought to get the trip. But I’d be worried that he’s good enough, even though he seems to have a vein of talent, and be a bit alarmed by the way he hangs, and especially worried for him at Epsom. His temperament is surely a little suspect. I can see him boiling over.

Back