Road to the Epsom Derby 2011

Does Recital go for the Derrinstown? Giving weight and about 40 lengths to Banimpire when only half ready may not be too bad form after all. Think he is a little value at 14's considering the prices of some of the others!!

I backed World Domination at 8s (and I stand by it, despite being a maiden winner, there's very little opposition and he's now into 5/1) as well so I feel I have two strong bases covered with my two bets (both the Guineas form and in my mind, the best unexposed horse in the race).

How is he the best unexposed horse in the race?!!

He is anything but - he is a talked up winner of a decent maiden, and didn't even (if there was no hype) set the pulse racing.

In terms of unexposed maiden horses who could be good, Carlton House appeals much more, as Yaseer has strongly franked his form.

Does Recital go for the Derrinstown? Giving weight and about 40 lengths to Banimpire when only half ready may not be too bad form after all. Think he is a little value at 14's considering the prices of some of the others!!

I think almost every other horse half likely to turn up is value considering the price of the front 2 in the market.

Can anyone ever remember a year where you had 2 maiden winners favourite for the Derby in the first week of May?

Can anyone ever remember a year where you had 2 maiden winners favourite for the Derby in the first week of May?

No but surely that only goes to show how weak the race is this year?

World Domination got a Beyer figure of 90 with me for his debut and given those figures are my prevailing factor in betting, I thought the 8/1 was good value as that is a very very strong figure for a debutant. I also think the fact that Cecil is willing to leave the race alone with Frankel arguably pays a compliment to WD and how highly he rates him.

Vadamar and Native Khan are the only two I could give any consideration to outside the front two at this stage.

I think Vadamar is the best bet (outside Native Khan) as you would hope he would win the Greffulhe, and then there is no uncertainty about where he goes. You can't say that about any O'Brien horse (talk about being forgotten!) and the Stoute and Cecil horses are all only maiden winners, and each one must be odds against to get to Epsom.

The Derby could still be up to scratch. Taking a look at possible runners

O'Brien
Recital
Seville
Roderic
+???

Stoute
Carlton House
Sea Moon

Godolphin
Ocean War
Genius Beast
Casamento
+???

Others:
Nathaniel (very interesting)
Native Khan
Vadamar
World Domination

Has Oxx got anything?

CONNECTIONS ISSUE WORLD WARNING

Connections of leading Investec Derby contender World Domination have issued a warning ahead of his planned appearance in the totesport Dante Stakes at York on May 12.
The Henry Cecil-trained colt was unraced as a juvenile but made a very taking winning debut at Newbury.
While it is still the plan to run on the Knavesmire, Teddy Grimthorpe, racing manager to owner Khalid Abdullah, is keen to stress that a minor setback means the son of Empire Maker may not be at his best.
"World Domination has had a bruise on his foot, as Henry mentioned at the weekend," Grimthorpe told Press Association Sport.
"It has been treated but he's missed a piece of work.
"We will still go to the Dante but obviously he is likely to need that run.
"The Derby is still in the plan but Henry just wanted to make people aware."

Doesn't worry me at all, sounds like nothing. Refreshing to have a yard so so open though, they've behaved admirably both with him and with Frankel.

Fallon apparently rides Recital this weekend .

That's going to cause a bit of a stir if correct.

Amazing the market confidence in World Domination in the Derby market despite the setback.

Last edited:
Christ almighty - World Domination 4/1 for the Derby. Surely he will be relatively close to 4s for the Dante, or 3s? Seville, Carlton House should line up and there will be other horses with better form and equally unexposed. This is bonkers!

I'm very disappointed that Frankel won't go for the Derby... but last time I checked I had won fewer classics than Henry Cecil.

A good chance he'll step up to 10 furlongs for say the Juddmonte International Stakes assuming all goes to plan in the St James's Palace.

Last edited:
Christ almighty - World Domination 4/1 for the Derby. Surely he will be relatively close to 4s for the Dante, or 3s? Seville, Carlton House should line up and there will be other horses with better form and equally unexposed. This is bonkers!

Surely if you see it like that then it's an opportunity?

I'm disappointed that Frankel has been confirmed as a non runner in the Derby. I think he'd get the distance no bother although you have to respect Cecil's decision as he knows the horse and clearly isn;t going to risk him. Hopefully he'll win the Juddmonte and then step up for the Arc...

Exactly, hence whu in earlier posts I thought the 16s about Vadamar and Native Khan well worth a few quid. Ocean War is another I like, and I wouldn't rule Genius Beast out (should be shorter than World Domination in my view).

Back