Road to the Epsom Derby 2011

Pour Moi won the Prix Greffulhe impressively today and is now 8-1 with one firm to win the derby. Will he turn up at Epsom - probably depends on how Recital and Seville get on respectively in the Derrinstown and the Dante. But he must be the Coolmore horse for the Grand Prix de Paris/Niel. Things are hotting up interestingly.

Zanughan in the Derrinstown this Sunday. If he won that, then maybe ...

Sea Pigeon -I thought he wasn't put into the race last time.I couldn't back him but I won't lay him either.The stables form and Fallon riding are positives not to mention the Ox horse being useless.

My second selection (Wild stab in the dark) is Pour Moi. Owned by Michael Tabor, he was in France last year with Andra Fabre but it looks like he is now under O'Brien's care. His debut isn't much to get excited about but he is closely related to Gagnoa and is by the pre-eminent Derby Sire Montjeu so his breeding is. At big prices on the exchanges he could be another to come from left field.

Looking healthy now... I hope they run him... I'm on at huge prices...

cheers Luke.

I thought he was schooled in public LTO, he''ll need to win this if he's going to Epsom. I just can't see what beats him. I was shocked when i saw he was evs i thought he would be an 8/11, 4/6 shot. I've backed him accordingly.

Recital looks tricky-Fallon is the man for him at Epsom-if he runs.
Zanughan -look back at the end of the season and think you could have place laid him at 6/4 in a Group 2 Derby trial.Was beaten after 3 furlongs.

pleased enough with that. Couldn't see what could beat him. Although i think he'll improve again, Epsom is a different ball game.

If you've already got money on Recital you wouldn't be tearing up your ticket but he looked almost unrideable at one stage today and he's not one for backing at short prices.

Looking at the Derby, it appears very thin on the ground - can anyone see the winner being outside the Dante?

Looking at the Derby, it appears very thin on the ground - can anyone see the winner being outside the Dante?

I'd argue the best form so far has been Master Of Hounds, fast finishing runner-up in the UAE Derby and finishing well again when 5th in the Kentucky Derby, stayed on well to be 3rd in last years racing post trophy and wasn't disgraced in the breeders cup juvenile. He's run well in two big field group/graded races in his last two starts over 10f and looks like another 2f will suit. His Dam finished 5th in the Oaks and her sire is Sadler's Wells. His sire Kingmambo has bred 1m4f Group horses. Rule Of Law (2nd) Light Shift (won Oaks) Campanologist (won King Edward V11) & El Condor Pasa (2nd Arc) to name a few.
I think he could end up as a Derby runner by default so I'm taking a chance on betfair as his odds of 69/1 to win and 7/1 place are enormous for what he has achieved so far.

He copped the crowd in the straight that's all. Having said that I won't be backing him. Treasure Beach has looked the most straight forward of O'Brien's. Have they said if he's goint to the Derby or not ?

Recital is a complete pig - he's just talented enough to get away with it...

Question: ...if the pig Recital had a better personality, would he cease to be a filthy animal?

Answer: Well we’d have to be talking about one charming mother****in' pig. I mean he’d have to be ten times more charming than that Arnold on Green Acres... you know what I'm saying?

Last edited:
Pour Moi behaved himself relatively well in the Greffulhe - except for a bit of fighting which got him a reminder in the first furlong or so. He was much worse on his last run. He has a reputation for being difficult at home.

Back