Road to the Gold Cup 2011

A disaster of a day -had a fairly lumpy bet at 5-4 and then my mobile phone Internet froze.Still haven't seen the race but he wouldn't be the first jumper to need a run.

Exciting news with Fame and Glory staying training. Will they be tempted to step him up in trip?

Maybe Cheltenham would suit but I don't think he'd have the pace for a track like Kempton..

Charlie Hall Betting

The Tother One 6/1
Barbers Shop 7/1
Weird Al 7/1
Number_%C2%A0.gif

China Rock 7/1
Carruthers 10/1
Duc De Regniere 10/1
Nacarat 10/1
Knockara Beau 12/1
Calgary Bay 14/1
Ollie Magern 14/1
Massini's Maguire 20/1
Master Medic 20/1
Tidal Bay 20/1
Sa Suffit 25/1
That's Rhythm 50/1
General Hardi 66/1

The first chance for a new name to throw it's hat in the ring for the Gold Ring. Currently Weird Al is lowest in the Cheltenham betting at 33/1.

Last edited:
Tout Seul alluded to Weird Al on the “Hunches for the Season Ahead” and the early 8/1 has become 7/1. The Tother One looks a false favourite and has to be taken on at a left handed track.

Last edited:
The Tother One is some horse for hitting flat spots.

I was thinking it was a Luke place lay if ever I saw one. I'm surprised China Rock has not been quoted for the Gold Cup (no matter how big) after his last run. If China Rock, Barber Shop and Weird Al make the line up it could be a really informative race.

I was thinking it was a Luke place lay if ever I saw one. I'm surprised China Rock has not been quoted for the Gold Cup (no matter how big) after his last run. If China Rock, Barber Shop and Weird Al make the line up it could be a really informative race.

Unfortunately I am complete poison at the moment -after nominating the Swinburn horse as an in running lay in the first at Kempton I went for a walk on the beach to clear my head.On the way back I stopped in the bookies and decided to have an ew bet on Berties Dream in the nervous chase at Galway.Lead at the last going best -ran out of petrol -finished 4th.

Weird Al is unlikely to run imo as would want soft in the going description. Wetheby does not produce such conditions unless it really rains heavily.

Unfortunately the alternative is at Carlisle on Sunday over 2m4f which is probably too short for him. I like the horse a lot and certainly see him progressing - how far I don't know but on his ground I will back him till he fails. I thought he would win the RSA last March if the ground was suitable.

I have backed him for the Gold Cup but at a price that reflects going risk and that he was a novice last year. I would expect the price to be much lower in February.

Last edited:
The field is thining with Carruthers out as well. Barber Shop or Deep Purple 9/2JF with Bet365.

Never underestimate how short the Nicholls/Walsh combination can be sent off on a Saturday. Just checked the Racing Post side and both Carruthers and Weird Al have jockeys booked so I'm not 100% who is running or not running.

Last edited:
I see thay have watered at Wetherby, That and the bookies' betting on Weird Al could mean he runs. On Betfair he is 9/1, a contra indication.

There is a stone turnaround in the weights with Knockara Beau for a neck last November. He is progressive but thats a fair chunk. I also think he's better over the 3 miles.

I have to admit I missed the stone turnaround, I thought it was 6bs for some reason. I dont mind a horse running over a shorter trip first time out.

Knockara Beau is listed for the Charlie Hall but there are still some decent horses left in Sunday's race.

Back