Road to the Gold Cup 2012

Do you not think his form is just completely soft ground dependant? Maybe I should watch the Rynair again too.

Rubi Light is clearly talented, but the form of the Durkan is not worth a sook beyond RL's own performance. He beat a field of hounds and/or plodders, and is still well short of Gold Cup class at this stage, imo. I see nothing in the form book which would see him finish in front of QDLR in a Gold Cup, let alone some of the other principals.

Thin turn out in the graduation chase at Newbury tomorrow. If Time For Rupert can't win this, his chance will have been all but extinguished.

Jumped well today and held off the other three easily enough. A confidence booster for him, but not much more than that. As low as 14/1 for the Gold Cup, which is no doubt a bit skinny, unless he can build on this.

Same here, didn't excite like he did pre Cheltenham but that said it's only December and his trainer the puropose yesterday was to get back to winning with the least possible effort.

Can't be too much wrong with him and should he come backto his best come March he would be more than just a lively outsider. With him you know he loves the course and gets the trip. You could count on one hand, those with a realistic chance, you could say that about.

He'll probably go for the Argento next. I like his jumping and he stays well. Could be a credible Grand National contender.

Quito De La Roque and Rubi Light are the star names among 13 possible runners for the Lexus Chase at Leopardstown on December 28th.
The former made a successful seasonal reappearance at Down Royal and is a major contender for Colm Murphy, while Robbie Hennessy's stable star Rubi Light got back to winning ways in the John Durkan Memorial Punchestown Chase earlier this month.

As expected, Paul Nicholls has supplemented Noland in the absence of intended runner Denman, who was retired last week.

He could be joined on the trip from Britain by the Jonjo O'Neill-trained Synchronised.

Champion trainer Willie Mullins has Cooldine and The Midnight Club engaged, while other interesting contenders include Magnanimity, Bostons Angel, Joncol and Follow The Plan.

The Gordon Elliott trained Roi Du Mee, China Rock for Mouse Morris and Roberto Goldback for Dessie Hughes complete the field.

Paddy Power bet: 6/4 Quito De La Roque, 7/2 Joncol, 4/1 Rubi Light, 15/2 Noland, 12/1 Magnanimity, 14/1 Bostons Angel, 16/1 China Rock, Synchornised, 20/1 Cooldine, Follow The Plan, Roberto Goldback, 25/1 Roi Du Mee, 33/1 The Midnight Club.

What am I missing - there is a very slow boat and a horse not that good ahead of Rubi Light - is he that much of a probable non-stayer?

Why would people get stuck into QLDR though - can't they see what I see - he needs about 6 miles!

I think Rubi Light could well go off favourite.

Last edited:
Why would people get stuck into QLDR though - can't they see what I see - he needs about 6 miles!

I think Rubi Light could well go off favourite.

Gigginstown owned, the maroon colours carry some weight, He is a prolific winner whether you like him or not, he will likely appreciate the conditions more than the others

He has won over 2 1/2m Hamm. He isn't quite the slowcoach you think he is

That being said I like Rubi alot

Last edited:
Quito's comments in his races

"Moderate 3rd, stayed on close home"
"Jumped left, clear, stayed on well"
"Headway, headed, driven, led, stayed on well"
"Led, ridden, idled"
"Niggled, headway, led before last, stayed on well"
"Mistake, not fluent, led, stayed on well for pressure"

This horse has about another 15lbs improvement in him when he matures as a stayer, he could rule the divison as an 8 year old.

I am no great hack on the Irish form but is this not a case of if he stays he wins with Rubi Light?

He has looked a class horse and whilst there is a certain doubt regarding the trip the 4/1 looks a fair price for the chance.

Like Hamm, I think QDLR a bit of a plodder too. That is not to say that he won't win because it's a race that might well require one. Can never work Joncol out so could never back him.

To my eye it looks between the two. I hope Rubi Light confirms himself a GC contender in this because we could do with a couple more after Denman's retirement.

I agree with everybody on Rubi Light but is he a definite runner? Last statement I read from the stable was he was being aimed at the Lexus but it may come too soon for him, I suspect this is reflected in his price.

I'm pretty sure they will step him up as they want to know if they have a Gold Cup horse on their hands. I firmly believe they have and i'll be steaming into Rubi Light again. QDLR and Joncol will not see which way he went.

I agree with everybody on Rubi Light but is he a definite runner? Last statement I read from the stable was he was being aimed at the Lexus but it may come too soon for him, I suspect this is reflected in his price.

I have it on good authority that he runs and is jumping out of his skin. :ninja:

Quito's comments in his races

"Moderate 3rd, stayed on close home"
"Jumped left, clear, stayed on well"
"Headway, headed, driven, led, stayed on well"
"Led, ridden, idled"
"Niggled, headway, led before last, stayed on well"
"Mistake, not fluent, led, stayed on well for pressure"

This horse has about another 15lbs improvement in him when he matures as a stayer, he could rule the divison as an 8 year old.

Will you ever fuck off with these regurgitated Comments in Running. Thanks.

Back