Road to the Gold Cup 2020

It was a visual thing rather than a ratings thing Euro. That wasn't BDM at his best having an absolute cut all the way round.

Yes but that’s what everyone assumes. I am just thinking that because of the run in last years GC they believe genuinely believe they have a live contender and therefore going to train him as one. I don’t believe a horse can be cherry ripe in mid November and be 100% for March. For the record I am not saying he’s going to win it but do believe his season might revolve more around March as we have witnessed these past couple of years

Kemboy is eligible to race again, after Horse Racing Ireland announced it will accept entries for the Cheltenham Gold Cup contender and six other horses formerly owned by the Supreme Horse Racing Club.

HRI has agreed registrations from a new ownership syndicate for seven horses previously under the Supreme banner.

Who was the last horse who jumped as exuberantly as LIT to win the GC?

Coneygree and not too many others?

Not sure LIT can be described accurately as exuberant. Certainly not all the time anyway.
Prior to Saturday, the economy of his jumping was always one of his attributes that impressed the most.
Sounding like I've been listening to too much Kevin Blake, but just neat, efficient, no energy wasted, not too much time spent in the air etc. etc.
3 out on Saturday he put in one exuberant jump, but other than that just ultra efficient.

Re look at his races

He jumps fences like a stag, not economical at all really

Saturday was an improvement but he was very deliberately held up

Kevin Blake isn't the worst person to listen to, but his words carry too much weight

Having just read his blog, I think you took it up wrong too

[FONT=&quot]As had been the case on his seasonal reappearance at Carlisle, his jumping was a genuine joy to watch. It tends to be big, long, flashy, but ultimately inefficient and risky leaps that get people oohing and ahhing, but Lostintranslation’s style is far more worthy of plaudits. In the main he is neat and efficient, but when he meets a fence on a long stride, he is capable of the most wonderful fast and flat leaps.[/FONT]

Having just read his blog, I think you took it up wrong too

I'd debate that PJ. He does say "In the main he is neat and efficient" - and that's all I was trying to say. I wasn't referencing his Carlisle run, which was FTO in open company and fair enough LIT was probably just a bit free and exuberant that day.

I hadn't actually read his blog tbh and was really more going on memory of having heard him talking in general about the jumping style of LIT and others in the past. Again from Memory, LIT since middle/end of last season really seemed to fit Blake's ideal staying chasers jumping technique. Hence why i said I feel like I've been listening to too much Kevin Blake in general, as he is forever going on about staying chasers being neat and efficient and not wasting energy and time in the air. The fact he is so keen on LIT for the KG and Gold cup this season, I assumed that LIT matched this 'Blake' jumping criteria, in his view.

Anyway, it was just reading your initial post and the Coneygree comparison that really struck me. I personally never would have compared LIT to a Coneygree type.

Some interesting points indeed, not least the stamina aspect as regards Lostintranslation.

3 miles off a strong gallop should play to his turn of foot, an extra 2 1/2f on an uphill finish we could have another One Man or Florida Pearl.

Betfair chase was over 3m 1 1/2f. So, that's something. Never know until the day. Didn't think silviniaco wouldnt stay but it happens.

LIT can go long but overall he is efficient: good and low without 'hurdling' his fences.

What I love about him is that he seems to judge the fences himself, having a natural intelligence when it comes to his jumping. That jump at Carlisle illustrates this, I think. He saw that he had a choice of taking an extra stride and 'fiddling', or committing himself to the long leap. He chose the latter, as we know, and look how he executed it. Magnificent.

I'm a big chase enthusiast, betting almost exclusively over the big ones and imo, this horse may be the best jumper I have ever seen. When he won at Aintree I immediately thought that the Kempton 3m would be right up his street: Flat with tricky fences. I've been backing him from 12's down antepost so i suppose this will mean he gets injured and doesn't make it to post - typical that would be. If he races, there's no other horse I'd want my money on. I'd be thinking Clan Des Obeaux would be the main danger.

I too have reservations with 3m and Flemensfirths but Kempton would seem to be ideal and I would much prefer the Kempton 3m to 3m 2f at Cheltenham up the hill.

In the end, I love the horse and whatever happens come Boxing Day, as long as he comes back safe I'll be happy. It is horses like this that fuel my love of the game.

Last edited:
Thought Kemboy jumped to his right today. At least on first viewing, will watch it back when I have time.

Is it something he’s always done?

Thought Kemboy jumped to his right today. At least on first viewing, will watch it back when I have time.

Is it something he’s always done?

It isn't something I recall him doing previously. I was at Punchestown when he won in April, and I certainly don't remember him jumping to the right, although it may have been less visible given the direction of travel at Punchestown.

I like Kemboy, and I think today's showing was an adequate re-appearance, he wasn't beaten by far. Also like Delta Work, but his jumping makes me nervous in these big races as he is susceptible to clouting one or two on his way round!

I don't think a competitive Gold Cup field will suit Kemboy. Seems to me his best form is when he's allowed to dominate a small or passive field.
Delta Work yeah his jumping is a mild concern but I loved the way he came through at the death today after being in rear in a race run at a crawl. Nice to see the RSA form finally franked.

Road to Respect is not one to be trusted unless very fresh

Monalee just didn't stay as I saw it

DW did finish like a train but come March he won't be coming off the pace like that

Paul said that he came to win his race and the lack of a run just told after the last. Should come on a fair amount for the Irish Gold Cup and he was the only one of the first five having his seasonal debut. For me he didn't have quite his normal enthusiasm but he's a year older and more mature so perhaps that's understandable. Not much change in his GC price and PP keep him as favourite.

Back