Royal Ascot 2020

Ground is probably going to make significant difference so I shall watch with interest the first few races and could make changes.
Hypothetical plus Highland Chief ew
Sir Dragonet (one of my cliff horses)
King Leonidas And Monarch of Egypt
Battleground (do like Golden Flame as well)
leaving GC
Verboten I put in book after last run plus Khaloosy ew
Soffika plus Waliyak ew
All a bit obvious and as I said it could yet change
Well not a bad day!

I went through Fridays cards just now.

It seemed like William Haggas has two good chances with market favourite Born With Pride in the 4.10 and Hamish earlier in the 3.00.

The latter proved well ahead of his handicap mark last season. He won two major handicaps on the bounce at York and must be forgiven for getting beat in a small four runner race on his final start. He handles a big field and can provide another big race win for jockey James Doyle.

Last edited:
Wonder how much more rain they are getting? It’s been heavy all afternoon here (South West) and it was so bad yesterday our garden completely flooded back and front.

I think tomorrow will be a very quiet day for me. A 3yo sprint hcap (ie inside info needed rather than form), umpteen juvenile lotteries (no interest) and a couple of other dull-looking affairs.

Still, I have one tracker so far which I'm hoping to get at least 66/1 about!

You mean the first race, DO?

What about Mighty Spirit?

Best runs last season came with cut in the ground in big fields. Her first attempt at a handicap here and It looks to me like the mark of 90 is probably on the lenient side. I think she will run well from a favourable high draw. A place chance at a minimum, inho.

Last edited:
That was absolutely magical from Stradivarius today, actually gave me goosebumps as he was coming towards the finishing line. Was interesting as they were coming towards the final turn that Frankie had 2 glances around, the first a fairly quick peek, and the second he would have seen Oisin Murphy getting after his mount, and I think from then you knew he was going to win. Didn't expect him to win in such emphatic style mind.

Was an absolute sight to behold watching him cruise towards the 1f marker, on the bridle. Some sight!

Magical moment for racing and connections.

Just got a tracker alert for one in this race. I'll post it tomorrow once I get the best of the odds/concessions.

Just checked the price. It's 12/1 best and blue across the board. Ladbrokes were showing 20/1 and I tried to snaffle that but when the slip came up it was down to 12s too. I took it ew to 6 places just in case it shortens further through the evening. City Walk.

Last edited:
I'm unsure how ready he'll be, but Southern Hills is a speculative bet for me today in the CC. Taken 31/1 on BF.

My main bet of the day is West End Charmer in the 4.40 at 13/2. He's 5lbs well in and should improve significantly for the step up in trip. He won't be the only Group performer lurking in this handicap but he'll be one of the less exposed ones and is a much bigger price than the other well-in runners of the last couple of days.

They've been gubbed, mind.

Agree with those last three mentioned.
Today I am going for
Art Power w Flippa the Strippa & Band Power ew
Setarhe
The Lir Jet I stuck as one to follow and also liked Nelson Gay in same race
Tricky I thought AVD ran really well last time but may also play Fanny Logan ew
Keen on Lope and I gather Golden Horde is v v highly regarded. Will look at Southern Hills in paddock. Too many of Ballydoyle have been fat!
Born with Pride. Again I want to see Santiago.
West End Charmer could be a good thing. Backed El Misk ew last night and can’t now remember why!

Talked myself out of Dandalla in the ITV7... blast :(
I wrote down next to it “G2 entry so ob highly regarded” and then went for the second! So you’re not alone! That said the second I would expect to be closer next time. Fell out of the stalls and only picked up late. But winner is nice. And scopey too.

Back