Royal Ascot Day 1

I think you're being a bit harsh on Tom here. I'd hold fire until we hear the full facts of the race. I think they've done as much as they can with the horse. I don't rate the ride that was delivered today but I think time will prove that the horse has a mind of his own!

it reminded me off the race Spencer gave the one of O'Briens at the Breeders a few years ago..clueless

Possibilities: 1 The jockey made a balls of it.2 The horse has reached the peak of his ability.3 He was undercooked today.4 The horse isn't 100per cent.
If he was mine I would bring him back in September.

He went too soon. But against a Canford Cliffs if he leaves it too late he'll just get chinned on the line.

Great win for Power, nice compliment for Tough as Nails.

Can anyone suggest a reason why the horse drifted from 5.8 or so about 5 mins before the off, if that, to 8.8 as the gates opened?? Crazy stuff!!

It was quite clear from the interview he gave ATR that Henry Cecil is not best pleased about how Frankel was ridden. Nor was he best pleased to find McCririck in his face.

I'd also have to say he doesn't look too well, hope he's ok.

It was quite clear from the interview he gave ATR that Henry Cecil is not best pleased about how Frankel was ridden. Nor was he best pleased to find McCririck in his face.

I'd also have to say he doesn't look too well, hope he's ok.

Who would be pleased with that ride on a horse possibly worth £50m? Queally is no fool though and wouldn't have ridden that type of race unless instructed to or felt the horse has severe personality flaws. By personality flaws I mean he didn't want to disappoint the horse for fear of him throwing the toys out of the pram. If Cecil can't get him ship shape after 2 years of training, I don't know who can??

I think what wasn't said spoke volumes. I think your right about his temperment and it's a case of tricking him along now. They may try go 1m2f but it will be his last run if they do.

Who would be pleased with that ride on a horse possibly worth £50m? Queally is no fool though and wouldn't have ridden that type of race unless instructed to or felt the horse has severe personality flaws. By personality flaws I mean he didn't want to disappoint the horse for fear of him throwing the toys out of the pram. If Cecil can't get him ship shape after 2 years of training, I don't know who can??

I can't really see how he could have been instructed to ride like that.

the pacemaker went off a million miles an hour..Frankel was doing just fine..step up a bit if necessary..but to step up like that with 4f and a stiff finish in front was just weird..unnecessary

if Canford Cliffs or Goldikova or any other miler had been ridden like that they would have folded in the straight like a pack of cards..and if anyone thinks they wouldn't ..then how come they have never been ridden like that?..the reason is ..its madness to ask a horse to go to his full speed 4f out

I would love to see Richard Hughes ride Frankel..a match made in heaven

His turn of foot wouldn't be in CC's league though, he's more of a galloper. I favour Frankel if they meet in the Sussex because I think the WFA is to the advantage of the 3yo's.

Last edited:
I wouldn't generally be a critic of Queally, but I thought that it was a very strange ride on Frankel. It made no sense at all and Zoffany almost made him pay.

Great race in the Queen Anne, top quality. By the way, was Cape Blanco there specifically to make the pace or did they seriously believe that he was in with a shout?

Pacemaker for Canford I'd say, feel sorry fro him,they fucked up his three yr old campaign and now they're abusing him.

How can Queally last at Warren Place ? That was an unspeakably poor ride and even the BBC pundits were critical . Following on from the Midday debacle it seems he panics.

The plan was as Sir H said - to kick off the turn as in the Royal Lodge and had he done so i suspect he would have won easily . If Queally rides him like that against Canford Cliffs surely he will be turned over easily.

Queally is simply not anywhere near the class of the horses he is riding . If Lester were still around Frankel would have won hard held and not known he had a race !

As for the Queen Anne what a thrilling ,magnificent horserace and CC won comfortably - although no doubt both horses would actually have preferred faster ground

Last edited:
How can Queally last at Warren Place ? That was an unspeakably poor ride and even the BBC pundits were critical . Following on from the Midday debacle it seems he panics.

The plan was as Sir H said - to kick off the turn as in the Royal Lodge and had he done so i suspect he would have won easily . If Queally rides him like that against Canford Cliffs surely he will be turned over easily.

Queally is simply not anywhere near the class of the horses he is riding . If Lester were still around Frankel would have won hard held and not known he had a race !

As for the Queen Anne what a thrilling ,magnificent horserace and CC won comfortably - although no doubt both horses would actually have preferred faster ground

the ground was fast Ardross - 2yo Frederick Engels broke 60 seconds ..thats very swift at Ascot for a juvenile

Pacemaker for Canford I'd say, feel sorry fro him,they fucked up his three yr old campaign and now they're abusing him.

Fucked up his 3yo campaign so much that he won an Irish Derby and an Irish Champion Stakes? Really? Its not like he would have beaten Workforce if he'd gone to Epsom instead of Chantilly.

As for today, no surprise to see him go to the front, but very disappointing how tamely he folded. I didn't think they went off that fast. Worth pointing out that he's effectively with new owners this year, too, hence why he ran in Dubai and they obviously didn't fancy taking on So You Think tomorrow.

I don't believe there is any soft on the straight course but that was good ground .

Frederick Engels was only 0.8 slower than the juvenile course record
Power was just 1 second slower than the Juvenile course record
Frankel & CC just a second slower than respective track records

hard to run those sort of times on Good ground imo

the chance of soft being anywhere is nil

Back