Ryanair Chase 2016

If the horse isn't right, he isn't right. Ricci has viable alternative option for GC with live chance. I see it as they are simply protecting the horse and his future.

Whilst I think this is probably true - or, at least, not quite right enough to do himself justice in the Gold Cup - it is somewhat at odds with their "Huge run" prediction of just 48-hrs ago.

Last edited:
Davy Russell and more noteworthy Tony Mullins were saying at preview nights a few weeks ago that they had heard Vatour was Ryanair bound.

That makes is worse as there were statements from Mullins and Richi after they said this that it was definitely GC.

Last edited:
Looks an odd field this now. A lot of runners for a race with an odds on favourite. Of course the betting public were not pleased with the late decision by team Mullins but I'm sure a few owners/trainers noses were put out of joint by it as well. There's quite a few who would've taken other options had they known and I can't imagine Taquin De Seuil owners are too happy either. How long after supplementing was this news revealed?

Best thing that could happen if Vautour wins would be for the crowd to remain silent when the horse comes into the winners enclosure.

Might be a few boos unfortunately. They should be reserved for when he goes to collect his prize.

It'll smash that field up tomorrow,absolutely destroy them.bigger certainty than VVM or limini.It wouldn't surprise me at all if V was pulled in the morning though.

Last edited:
i suspect we'll have someone giving evens in the morning and i'm torn

i think we're either looking at

1) he isnt showing 100% in his work which would make the price one to avoid
2) djakadam was always the main hope for the big one and once he showed he was right after his fall then ruby chose him and they decided to re-route vautour to spread things out which would make evens a bet

i suspect we'll have someone giving evens in the morning and i'm torn

i think we're either looking at

1) he isnt showing 100% in his work which would make the price one to avoid
2) djakadam was always the main hope for the big one and once he showed he was right after his fall then ruby chose him and they decided to re-route vautour to spread things out which would make evens a bet

I can't believe number 2 for a second. They've been bleating on about Vautour for the GC way before Djakdam tipped up. I think he genuinely wasn't 100% at home and they've reckoned (probably quite rightly) that a 90% Vautour will still probably win the Ryanair.

Ricci didn't help with his comments which painted everyone else into a corner.

I think in Ruby Walsh's mind Vautour was number 2 and he is the perpetrator here not Rich Ricci.

Just about every jockey attached to a yard have a massive say on what runs where. If they tell you your horse won't win then you better take them very seriously unless you think you know better (same as saying you are an idiot)

Davey Russell knows the game very well and knows what Ruby wants Ruby gets why else would he put himself up to be shot at by saying weeks ago the horse would go Ryanair.......he knew what Ruby was capable of.

You can bet your life Rich Ricci wanted to go Gold Cup but now he has been told the horse isn't working great, he probably won't stay and Ryby thinks Djakadam will beat him....talk about being stuck in a corner.

If I was going to boo anyone which I wouldn't dream of it would be Ruby Walsh not Rich Ricci.

Last edited:
Valseur Lido is one of the most in and out characters in the game.

He was hacking up the other day with Road to Riches well beaten when he threw Ruby a body swerve.

He beat Apache Stonghold pointless then got beaten by him on much the same terms.

In a race that offers very little value: 5/6 about an unfit horse does not appeal so I'm having a small ew.

Last edited:
Be a fascinating clash as both of them will want to press on but, even at the likely strong pace, 2.5m on good ground is hardly in RTR's favour.

Meade claims RTR is better on good ground and is a bigger and stronger horse this year. He was desperate to run in the Gold Cup but the horse is not short of pace and a strongly run race will play to his strengths.

My only slight concern is that the feeback from the trainers has convinced O'Leary that one of the Dons is the more likely Gold Cup horse - they may have (wrongly) concluded that RTR didn't stay last year - in which case the drop back in trip makes sense.

I can't see that Vautour has achieved anything better than RTR at this stage. That's not to say he will be better than in the King George but his price says a) that it's a given and b ) he's 100%.

RTR is 4/1 with Hills w/o Vautour. I think that is a far better value bet than 11/4 Altior without Min (which I couldn't believe was on offer).

Last edited:
I'm in a quandary about this one. Have Valseur Lido at around 12s ante-post, also have R2R as the second leg of an each way double with Sizing John (w/o Douvan) and Vibrato Valtat. So do I steam into Vautour with the thought that I have his dangers covered?

I'm in a quandary about this one. Have Valseur Lido at around 12s ante-post, also have R2R as the second leg of an each way double with Sizing John (w/o Douvan) and Vibrato Valtat. So do I steam into Vautour with the thought that I have his dangers covered?

I can't resist the prices on him.

Your AP book seems pretty good

Back