Sandown Coral Eclipse

Mouth watering race and probably best watched. If (and it’s a big if) the Gosdens have got Mishriff back firing on all four then he will be hard to beat.

The issue I would have with Mishriff is that he was a bit undercooked coming into this race last year off a shorter break before improving in the King George and then putting up a wow performance at York. Why wouldn't they follow a similar path?

Last edited:
Real World is the one that if he wins it will annoy me. He's been running really good races behind Baaeed.

The issue I would have with Mishriff is that he was a bit undercooked coming into this race last year off a shorter break before improving in the King George and then putting up a wow performance at York. Why wouldn't they follow a similar path?

There’s no arguing with that, desert.

I think there might be. Last year he ran in the Saudi Cup and the Sheema this season he missed the Meydan race so Gosden has had longer to let him down and get him fit again. He's also a better horse on decent ground (won plenty of soft races against not much in France).

That's a reasonable angle, Euro.

I'm not sure I would fancy Mishriff first time up in a good G1 after six months off. A G2, maybe, but a race like the Eclipse?

I made the mistake of backing Hurricane Lane first time up in the Hardwicke and it wasn't even a G1.

I said I wouldn't be putting up any star bets until the jump season started but this one I can't resist:;_

Vadeni 5/2 5star***** bet.

Just point him in the rght direction and race over:)
Wouldn't be too sure, he's a speed horse not bred for more than 10f, and though the PDJC was 1/2f further, there's only a gnat's in it on standard times
Sandown's not Chantiilly, and (imo) the Aga' s horse looks up against it here.

I think there might be. Last year he ran in the Saudi Cup and the Sheema this season he missed the Meydan race so Gosden has had longer to let him down and get him fit again. He's also a better horse on decent ground (won plenty of soft races against not much in France).

Thady Gosden says: “ Things didn’t go to plan at all in Saudi Arabia with Mishriff this year. He had a busy year last year so we gave him a bit of a break and freshened him up with the target being the Eclipse.
“The year before in Saudi it was a lot cooler and they had a bit of rain and the track rode very differently and the kick back this year was much more severe than the year before which was maybe down to artificial watering and the temperature.
“He has got a great attitude and is a very talented horse. He thoroughly enjoys his training and everything has been smooth enough so far with him.
“He ran well in the Eclipse last year (when finishing third) but he just got a bit tired late on as it is a stiff finish at Sandown. This year it is an incredibly competitive race and most of the field have very good claims and this is his first time out on UK soil so we will have to see how he goes.”

Wouldn't be too sure, he's a speed horse not bred for more than 10f, and though the PDJC was 1/2f further, there's only a gnat's in it on standard times
Sandown's not Chantiilly, and (imo) the Aga' s horse looks up against it here.

Sandown is a sharp 10f so not sure the trip will be a problem. It's whether you believe he is 123 on one performance where he wasn't even the stable's first string!

The Irish Guineas run was deeply underwhelming and the St James Palace Stakes didn't boost the form. He's a shocking price with stanima to prove.

This is cracking me up....on one hand it's why is Vadeni so short? on the otherhand the 2nd fav has no chance

You are answering the $64,000 question yourself

It's getting to the stage when you will be asking why is he 5/4?.

Last edited:
Sandown is a sharp 10f so not sure the trip will be a problem. It's whether you believe he is 123 on one performance where he wasn't even the stable's first string!
It's a much steeper cilmb than Chantllly at the business end, though.

This is cracking me up....on one hand it's why is Vadeni so short? on the otherhand the 2nd fav has no chance

You are answering the $64,000 question yourself

It's getting to the stage when you will be asking why is he 5/4?.

Any of the runners can win this race. I just think the 3yos are too short.

Older horses do have a better recent record than the 3year olds
However giving Vadeni 10lbs look a huge ask of Bay Bridge who could be 5lbs short of being a real Group 1 horse.

I thought if he was going to make the grade he would have beaten State of Rest with ease
but that final kick top class horses have just wasn't there and in the end I thought he was a bitterly disappointing odds on shot.

I hear this everyday.if there had been a stronger pace horse B would have won .....do you know how few times it works out in reality.

Top class horses win off any pace simply because of one factor:- They are top class

Last edited:
With respect you hope I am as you are in the SMS camp I presume?

His win at Sandown was impressive of a normal pace for a group race
The opposition for a couple of reasons wasn't great and last time in a tougher race got his ass felt.

Moore gave him a perfectly good ride he simply wasn't good enoughand this is a huge step up from that.

I think he's aplace lay personally.

Six runners; all have some chance .
Where does the pace come from ?
A lot of these race keenly without leading so anything can happen.
May get a Bosra Sham type situation if false rail not present in straight.

Haggas horse will go on. If they make it a sprint Native Trail or Bay Bridge wins.

Is it possible BB was using the POW as a prep?

Simon Rowlands, in his sectional analysis of its previous win, was gushing about its splits (which were off a slow pace) yet off another slowish pace in the POW he was outsprinted.

So was he prepping? Not over his previous run? Flattered by his previous run?

So hard to know.

Back