Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

The horse hung in behind MCM for a couple of strides. I do not think Kinane did anything wrong.

He was directly behind MCM when he tracked between the pacemakers but let Murtagh have an easy couple of lengths thereafter. I am going off memory but for me that wasn't the right option, luckily the horse was good enough anyway. I thought Mastercraftsman ran a great race and I'd like to see him in the Champion Stakes, I think it'd suit him down to the ground.

I lost my voice screaming, Mick certainly had my heart in my mouth until he gave the kick. Incredible, never been more excited in a race before, that says alot.

Sea The Stars was dossing; he was travelling probably too well when Murtagh started riding Mastercraftsman and Kinane just had to wake him up a bit to send him about his job. To me it always looked like Sea The Stars would win, even though he does doss about he gets on with it when roused along. He did the same in the Eclipse; was dossing about in front when Rip Van Winkle came to him, then eventually got on with it and drew away again.

Granted the two pacemakers were retreating etc, but you got to love the way he cut through them.

It did occur to me for a split second whether they'd try closing the gap on him after they'd let MCM through. I thought for a second that they actually considered it

STS did that well. We all knew that with supposed 10lb difference in the ratings Mastercraftsman only ever had a squeak at best.

Having said that Mastercraftsman ran a huge race for a horse bathed in sweat.

STS will have more his plate next time in the Irish Champion. He will be doing brilliantly well to beat Fame in that.

I think Oxx may well be advised to give Sea the stars a little break before bringing him back for the Arc. It's more likely than not the ground will be more suitable in Paris than in Ireland, and the proximity of the Irish Champion to today's race must be a worry.

I'd love him to run in it because at his best I have no doubt he'd trounce Fame and Glory but I feel asking him to be at his best 18 days after today's race, and after a season which has been going for some time now and without a break may be asking too much.

I think Oxx may well be advised to give Sea the stars a little break before bringing him back for the Arc. It's more likely than not the ground will be more suitable in Paris than in Ireland, and the proximity of the Irish Champion to today's race must be a worry.

I'd love him to run in it because at his best I have no doubt he'd trounce Fame and Glory but I feel asking him to be at his best 18 days after today's race, and after a season which has been going for some time now and without a break may be asking too much.

I quite agree STS has an extraordinarily difficult task now in beating Fame in either the Irish Champion or the Arc. I now think he probably won't be able to do either and make Fame great value to take him whenever they meet (if indeed they do meet).

I'm beginning to agree and I have long been a big fan of Sea the Stars. Nothing wrong with his campaign, but it will be very, very difficult to win another Group 1. A few weeks on the easy list, and back into fast work a few weeks before the Arc with good or faster ground will give him a chance.

It's worth remembering that Sea the Stars is beating very good horses time and again, and despite him looking like he does it cosily, these races leave a mark. His temperament gives him a chance, and it will be some training feat by Oxx to get him back to a peak again.

No point ruling out the Irish Champion (the most valuable 10 furlong turf race around these days) at this stage in the hope they get fast ground at the Arc. The ground was good last Thursday at Leopardstown so it aint impossible - what's more if the horse is healthy and well (no reason why he should not if he was simply dossing today) Oxx will be keen to have the horse run in Ireland.

Last edited:
How is the handicapper going to rate today's race? In reality it did not turn out to be a messy race at all in the end with both the principles getting more than enough cover.

Agree about the Irish Champion and agree if the ground is correct. He may do just enough, and do it cosily, but it will take something from him. I guess Oxx will be the best judge, and I would love the best Sea the Stars to face Fame and Glory over 10f.

It's certainly not choosing the Arc over the Irish Champion, just I think he may well need a break. I'd rather him run in the former all other things being equal.

18 days is a short amount of time.

Kinane suggesting that Oxx left a little bit on Sea The Stars today.

That would explain him being not quite so impressive as some would have liked.

Thanks. Interesting and good to hear. Perhaps Oxx had the 18 day gap in mind beforehand then?

How is the handicapper going to rate today's race? In reality it did not turn out to be a messy race at all in the end with both the principles getting more than enough cover.

I'd imagine Sea the Stars a few pounds below his best, and a significant rise for Mastercraftsman. Very hard race to rate in that the pacemakers will be ignored, then it comes down to how much you think MCM improved for stepping up to 10 furlongs, and how close Sea the Stars ran to his Eclipse best. Thankless task, this one!

Back