Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

Indeed. I would love to know what O'Brien spends on entries each year because I would guess it is probably around ten times what most other prominent stables spend, that would include Godolphin who are less scattergun in their planning policy..

I think people forget how expensive it is just to run in these races.

O’Brien enters multiples for the big races as the philosophy at Ballydoyle is usually better to have them in it for a relatively small amount of money than supplement at huge cost afterwards.

Indeed. I would love to know what O'Brien spends on entries each year because I would guess it is probably around ten times what most other prominent stables spend, that would include Godolphin who are less scattergun in their planning policy..

I think people forget how expensive it is just to run in these races.

In this instance O'Brien would probably make money on the race even if MCM was not running, but generally I reckon it must severely dent his profits. He normally has about 100 Derby Entries and I think the initial entry is around 500 quid!

They've sold Golden Sword and Frozen Fire now; probably to make up the deficit!

By the way where did you find the entry costs? The fees for the Derby don't appear on the entry list whereas I am sure they used to...

O'Brien has entered over 30 horses in the Arc at 5,000 euro a go.....the money Coolmore puts into these races is huge.

SL - Forgotten Voice would be virtually guaranteed of a Group 1 placing if he ran tomorrow.

Now that Tartan Bearer is out, very likely. However at the time of declaring, as his connections, you would be hoping for a likely fourth as a best case scenario against Sea The Stars, Mastercraftsman and Tartan Bearer.

Mastercraftsman reminds me of Giants Causeway, who ran in the low 120s over a mile early in his career but turned into a near 130 horse when stepping up to ten furlongs.

Me too, though I doubt he'll win. But the fact he will battle hard etc makes the 6/4 for Sea the Stars to win by 2 and 1/2 lengths or less look the best angle for this race.

Thought MCM had him there for a moment. STS just took a few more strides to pick up then you might have thought.

He mucks around a bit doesnt he? Its almost as if he likes to have a look round before concentrating.

Think it is probably as good as Coolmore could have hoped for. Mastercraftsman far from disgraced but STS probably always going to win.

For the record I think both Sea The Stars and Mastercraftsman were feeling that ground a little today.

He was going so easily as he came between the other two but then seemed to hang fire a little but he was game and won without being particularly hard ridden.

Good effort by Mastercraftsman.

On a side issue, Coolmore's three runners were all by Danehill Dancer. With Sea The Star's win propelling Cape Cross to the head of the sire's Championship - the prizemoney for 2nd,3rd, and 4th will be important enough to try and get Danehill Dancer back up to have a Coolmore sire Champion again.

Back