Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

Sea The Stars hit 3/1 in running with MCM touching 4/6.

I hope that wasn't Mr Miller :lol:!

Made a last minute decision to go to York today to see him - STS simply is the most perfect looking horse and sailed round the paddock so relaxed - and he was as relaxed in the race and after the race !

He travelled superbly and it was almost as if he was half asleep after Kinane took a pull as he seemed to run up MCM's backside and then although briefly he seemed to hang fire he soon had MCM comfortably once he picked up .

Anyone opposing him on his ground strikes me as trusting in nothing other than hope - I cannot see Fame and Glory beating him in a million years on his ground . A faster run race will just suit him even better .

if that handicap was truly run then the speed figure is very large

a quick view of the other race times suggests the handicap is a good marker as well

Look forward to Warbler & DO's view of the speed figure...big imo

Last edited:
If you were John Magnier/Aidan O'Brien....would you run Fame And Glory against STS on fast ground over 10 furlongs? My answer to that is no - the question is why are they saying or appearing to say yes?

I think Sea The Stars will beat Fame And Glory wherever they meet, be that the Irish Champion or the Arc. I think he he's had less of a hard campaign than people think he has as in a race the horse is always keeping a little bit to himself; this can be seen in the way he dosses then wins cosily, but with minimum fuss and without being flashy about it.

Agreed !!!

I find Steve's faith in F & G beating STS baffling .

BTW It was indeed pretty sticky weather at York today .

Last edited:
The same reason they've previously run Fame And Glory against him, as well as Rip Van Winkle and Mastercraftsman?!

I think each of those cases were and are completely different to Fame And Glory taking him in on the Irish Champion.

Firstly F&G took him on in the Derby over 12 furlongs - and hey it was the Derby - early in the season - they had to take him on.

Rip Van Winkle took him on at Sandown and I think that run was justified given his performance while Mastercraftsman was a similar enough case to RVW and aquitted himself very well today.

Fame And Glory however is being pitched in against him on the wrong ground and over the wrong trip -whats more the fact he has an ideal Arc prep just a week afterwards and I really do think them planning on taking him on with him again is interesting.

Last edited:
Well as you said they tend to ignore the KG with their best horses - I suggest they knew that they did not have any chance of beating him over a shorter trip on summer ground and their aim is the Arc - if F & G gets done for foot by say Stacelita in the Arc - the 10f win in Ireland will do his stud value no end of good - and they have little to lose - being beaten by STS on fast will be no disgrace and winning on softer ground will enhance him .

I suspect it has a lot more to do with that than believing he will beat STS on fast ground.

Look forward to Warbler & DO's view of the speed figure...big imo

Well I make the closing handicap the slowest race on the card, and I'm not about to get over excited about Sea The Stars either. Sure he might have broken the course record, but this would be the first time a horse of his calibre has run on the track since the new drainage was put down, when this is allied to a variance of +3.62 then they ha dperfect record breaking conditions today. It would be on the fast side of Good to Firm, and if they don't water overnight I reckon it'll be borderline firm tomorrow.

I gave him 107.52 today which is still very good, but about 4L's and a little bit behind his Eclipse rating of 111.70

Well I make the closing handicap the slowest race on the card, and I'm not about to get over excited about Sea The Stars either. Sure he might have broken the course record, but this would be the first time a horse of his calibre has run on the track since the new drainage was put down, when this is allied to a variance of +3.62 then they ha dperfect record breaking conditions today. It would be on the fast side of Good to Firm, and if they don't water overnight I reckon it'll be borderline firm tomorrow.

I gave him 107.52 today which is still very good, but about 4L's and a little bit behind his Eclipse rating of 111.70

Interesting that Warbler regarding the ground. I thought both Mastercraftsman AND Sea The Stars were feeling the ground today and that could have been while STS shyed in behind MCM momentarily which is not like him at all. Pretty strong tail wind as well today......is it confirmed yet if they were going to water tonight?

My guess is that as the owners of sea the stars are refusing to discuss any sale, Coolmore are throwing the kitchen sink at him to get him beat because they don't want to get in a bidding war with the Sheikh's. Personally I think they are up against it.

It's plain that they've always thought Rip Van Winkle was the most talented in the yard. Perhaps Fame and Glory has improved but the fact remains they are the only ones in Europe with the firepower to challenge him (Apart from a certain french filly - How good that would be!).

thing is Gallieo the arc isnt guaranteed to be soft is it? But even so, a prep run somewhere or other (not sure where admittedly) and then breeders would not suprise me

I dont think that he really showed any signs of wear today, the race was always going to be a little tricky, but it must be in the trainers mind that a rest wouldnt be a bad idea

Last edited:

What were the other times like today ?

thing is Gallieo the arc isnt guaranteed to be soft is it? But even so, a prep run somewhere or other (not sure where admittedly) and then breeders would not suprise me

I dont think that he really showed any signs of wear today, the race was always going to be a little tricky, but it must be in the trainers mind that a rest wouldnt be a bad idea

Clive - Kinane said they had deliberately left something to work on and he was slightly heavy today . I think anyone seeing the first signs of him going over the top is clutching at straws.

STS got a great reception today from the crowd, it was good to see people appreciate a class horse.

I remember watching the telly as he walked round the paddock before the Derby being struck by his presence, which sounds a bit stupid I suppose as I was not seeing him in the flesh. But seeing him live today was just the same, the horse has a way about him that tells you he's good and he knows it.

I agree with Ardross - I saw nothing today to suggest he was/is coming to the end of a hard season. He ran into a top class horse today and was (in my book) always going to have to work to win it and he did have to work to get to him and past him to win cosy on the line.

What were the other times like today ?

Pretty fair, the times I've got to class par are as follows;

Barney McGrew = 103.41
Elusive Pimpernel = 102.23
Monitor Closely = 96.35
Yuruntuni = 97.76
Royal Destination = 96.17

That's a pretty tight spread of just 7.25L's covering all the winners

100 = par performance for class

agree....I've just rated up the whole day..STS comes out with a 125 [no wfa]..which is 5lb below what I got for him in the Eclipse..not bad seeing as he wasn't anywhere near fully extended.

I still think he will win the Arc..and recently the going hasn't been too soft either

Back