Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

Kinane says he is the best horse he has ridden
and he is not know in Coolmore, so necesity to say what the stallion farm needs.

I think Sea The Stars is in the league of Dancing Brave

Kinane says he is the best horse he has ridden
and he is not know in Coolmore, so necesity to say what the stallion farm needs.

I think Sea The Stars is in the league of Dancing Brave

I think Oxx and the rest of the STS team have been throwing around plenty of "stallion talk" regarding this colt. Some of it is the truth but they have been quick to continue to point it out - but hey who wouldn't with the possible money in store for him at stud.

I personally think STS was nearish his limit yesterday and at Sandown....mind you it is a tremendously high limit!

I certainly do not think STS was "near his limit" yesterday. Kinane has inidcated that for a start. Possibly his least impressive grp one performance. Certainly a lot lot smoother in the guineas and Derby.

There were poor enough horses nearby in the guineas and derby though. His last two races were tougher and required better performances.

I certainly do not think STS was "near his limit" yesterday. Kinane has inidcated that for a start. Possibly his least impressive grp one performance. Certainly a lot lot smoother in the guineas and Derby.

When is any jockey or trainer going to say of their potential top class stallion - oh he was near his limit there.

I did say "nearish" as well....

That's just rose-coloured specs old mate. He was close to his extent yesterday.

Old = experienced!

If STS had been bustled along to keep tabs on MCM then given three good cracks to eventually go past him I'd ahve agreed with you about there not being 10lbs between them. STS was vastly superior to MCM yesterday. It was only the way the race panned out that prevented him from showing it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately horses like Sea the Stars who never win by much and idle a tad in front are always defined by the animals they beat. Fortunately he ran into another 132+ animal in the Eclipse.

If STS had been bustled along to keep tabs on MCM then given three good cracks to eventually go past him I'd ahve agreed with you about there not being 10lbs between them. STS was vastly superior to MCM yesterday. It was only the way the race panned out that prevented him from showing it.

Completely concur.

How exactly did the race pan against him? All season we have been told he is dossing in front - and after yesterdays race when he got the lead he needed to the final half furlong we are told he is dossing behind.

Galileo

Kinane said they had something to work on as you acknowledged earlier when discussing the irish champions stakes. So how can he be at his limit? You cant have it both ways....

I agree with DO too

Galileo

Kinane said they had something to work on as you acknowledged earlier when discussing the irish champions stakes. So how can he be at his limit? You cant have it both ways....

I agree with DO too

I said it was "nearish" his limit....I am sure they have left something to work on but it is minimal given the campaign he has already had and Oxx confirmed he still cantered every day during his "off time".

Like I said before.....he is not the type of horse that should or could be let down completely mid season.

As for his limit, he was not at it yesterday, but he was not that far off it....much the same with RVW. That is not a slight on the horse...he is a cosy winner over two exceptional racehorses. He is clearly a brilliant racehorse.

to be fair it was an egg and spoon race make up..the run through the pacemakers changed Kinane's gameplan and he had to rush STS through in case the door shut..this manouvre has made STS look to struggle a bit later

lets not forget that MCM is as tough as teak..he got headed against Delegator then fought back..he was just run by yesterday and looked like any other racehorse...after having the run of the race from the point they went between the pacemakers

as said before..beaten lengths do not tell the full story in a race

if the two of them had not had to manouvre through the pacemakers STS would have been sat alongside MCM 2 out ..and would have won easier.

How exactly did the race pan against him?

I thought I'd explained it earlier in the thread.

He was cantering all over MCM - looking every inch a horse that had a good 10lbs in hand - when Kinane ran up MCM's arse, obliging him to take a pull just as Murtagh was getting maximum effort out of the latter. As STS checked he lost ground plus impetus and had to work hard to make up both before eventually imposing himself with something to spare. Without that check, he'd have cantered past MCM and Kinane would probably only have had to shake him up to keep MCM at bay.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTYNBRgL7lc

Last edited:
New Approach ran in the Juddmonte International and came out and won the Irish Champion next time out - it is very "do- able"....Dylan Thomas the same though he was an older horse.

I do not think Grey was referring to yourself solely Hamm....there have been plenty on here in the past ridiculed or sneered at Irish Group 1 and Grade 1s for small fields or slow paced races. Something I mentioned at the time of the Epsom Derby - if the race was run in France the vast majority would have been questioning the validity of the form given how the race was run.

Is that directed at me :lol:- i didn't sneer at slow paces in Irish Grade Ones - they simply struck me as unreliable evidence as to how horses would run in fast paced Grade Ones at cheltenham - and so far as St Beefy was concerned I was right .

As for STS I agree entirely with DO and SL - had Kinane allowed him to sweep past on the outside i reckon we would have had a repeat of the Eclipse with him dossing in front of MCM . Opposing STS is an expensive business !

Last edited:
New Approach didn't run between the Derby and the International though.

True but he did take in two Guineas, a Derby and was fully trained right up to the Irish Derby only to be pulled out over the weekend due to injury. Sea The Stars kept going a week after then had his break.

Back