Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

Shamardal had the form and speed- F & G doesn't .

This is about Steve's hunch and blind faith - he might be right but it is not evidence based .

Last edited:
Either way....it is going to make for a serious build up! Lets hope both horses turn up....it will be interesting to see just how many horses Ballydoyle run in it.

They have 9 entries in the race, safe to say Rip Van Winkle will be a non runner. Leave 8 including Mastercraftsman....would not be the biggest surprise to see him out again but even aside from him I could see them have 4-5 runners.

Likely runners (without the Ballydoyle add ons) I would have thought would be...

Casual Conquest
Cima De Triomphe (doubtful?)
Doctor Freemantle
Loch Long
Fame And Glory
Sea The Stars

Last edited:
Shamardal had the form and speed- F & G doesn't .

This is about Steve's hunch and blind faith - he might be right but it is not evidence based .

Because you can't see it doesn't mean it is not evidence based. I can see it in his past form and I know he can improve again when put to the test... I have the evidence of my eyes.

If we always backed horses on recorded form, we'd end up in the poor house... it's all about knowing what more is in the locker. The colt that won the Irish Derby is very fine... take it from me.

I believe he will make the good efforts of RVW and Mastercraftsman against STS look mediocre.

Last edited:
Fame And Glory is now favourite on Betfair for the Irish Champion Stakes as wet weather continues to put the clash with Sea the Stars in doubt.
The runaway Irish Derby winner is into 10-11 on the exchange, with 2000 Guineas and Epsom Derby hero drifting to 13-8.
Betfair spokesman Tony Calvin commented: "It has been bright and dry at the course on Tuesday but unfortunately the Betfair market suggests that the clash of the superstars at Leopardstown on September 5th is looking increasingly unlikely.
"In truth, there is not a great deal of depth in the market, due to the fact that Sea The Stars won't be risked on the soft ground that many are forecasting. And his absence would render Fame And Glory a 1-3 chance, at best.
"But with every other bookmaker declining to price up the race, it's the only, and best, betting guide that punters have at the moment."
To win the Irish Champion Stakes - Betfair bet: 10/11 Fame And Glory, 13/8 Sea The Stars, 15/1+ others

A great shame that they perhaps won't meet now... The silver lining is that the 7/4 against is looking good.

Last edited:
The Irish weather has been just appalling - is there any real chance of good ground in 12 days time ?

The ground is currently Good in Leopardstown....while they will get rain the east has been getting much less rain than elsewhere. Dry, sunny and breezy today.

Multiple targets - Irish Champion, now not likely to run due to the ground, not going in the Leger (but he'll be fit for a run around then so it could be a goer), ending at the Breeders Cup (now now the Breeders Cup).

If he's waiting for good ground with the horse he'll unlikely get that in Europe prior to the end of the season IMO.

How is any of that "chopping and changing"? Connections have been perfectly open, clear and - to date - consistent.

If the ground turns against him - might we be lucky enough to see him in the Champion - 4 weeks before the Breeders this year ?

Deep down Oxx may not want to run again this season (unless it's at the BC) - after all he's done enough - although the owner by all accounts seems up for it.

Have it on good authority that the ground is probably a little faster than good if it was being run today. Alot of rain is forecast tonight so an update in the morning should be interesting.

To be fair its only right they get conditions perfect because the horse is very special, I would fully understand if they withdrew him from the Irish Champion Stakes albeit I'd be disapointed.

To be fair its only right they get conditions perfect because the horse is very special, I would fully understand if they withdrew him from the Irish Champion Stakes albeit I'd be disapointed.

It seems a bit finicky to me actually. It's not as if the colt hasn't won on yielding (in fact he's won on soft/heavy). His ideal conditions appear to be perfect fast ground with horses he can beat. With Fame looking the business at home, Oxx looks to be using the going as a bit of a cardboard crutch.

Champions should be made of sterner stuff than this.

Last edited:

do you mean they should also be able to win slow run derbies..to be really great? :rolleyes:

Steve..most horse have surfaces they can perform better on..even the really good ones

to be fair..wanting Good or faster ground isn't being finicky..its quite a broad spectrum of surface..its the height of summer..so its not unreasonable of Oxx to want that going

It seems a bit finicky to me actually. It's not as if the colt hasn't won on yielding (in fact he's won on soft/heavy). His ideal conditions appear to be perfect fast ground with horses he can beat. With Fame looking the business at home, Oxx looks to be using the going as a bit of a cardboard crutch.

:lol: I don't know what you are complaining about . If he doesn't turn up your bet looks good . I suspect secretly at the Miller household this is going on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nao6j-n0nz8

As would I Sheikh, I think he will be so keen to run in this that ground verging on the easy side of good will be acceptable and in truth it should be.

Good is no problem surely

if you knew nothing about the horse except the Juddmonte run..would you say he wanted further than 10.5f?

to me ..he really only got going late on there

a stiffer 10 on Good should be ideal

Back