Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

After last night and this morning and with the forecast for the week, good ground is not possible.:(
I do think there is an outside chance they might run him on soft though.

Last edited:
After last night and this morning and with the forecast for the week, good ground is not possible.:(
I do think there is an outside chance they might run him on soft though.

Will try to get a ground report today....don't give up hope yet though. Leopardstown is funny old place.

It's chopping and changing since he has what seems like half a million end of season targets - all seemingly ground dependant and with most of them it's highly unlikely he'll be getting the ground they want/STS needs.

Is Fame and Glory a very good bet at 10/11 considering he will be running against nothing if Sea the Stars doesn't turn up?

Will Oxx run the horse if it is just "Good" ground?

I honestly hope so... although Oxx has come out with the extraordinary statement that "good" to Sea The Stars is like "dead" to another horse. If he can't manage good ground (which he can) he certainly must be an extraordinary sort of horse!

Is Fame and Glory a very good bet at 10/11 considering he will be running against nothing if Sea the Stars doesn't turn up?

It's 10/11 Fame And Glory
11/10 Sea The Stars

For those that have missed the 7/4 against on Fame, this can't be value considering that STS might still turn up.

I know Fame is good but even I wouldn't expect him to be odds-on at 10 furlongs against the other one.

You are doing well Steve - seems to be working so far judging by the weather reports :lol:

:lol: A pure percentage call... 7/4 against looked a good price to me if STS turned up and an even better one if he didn't (which I suspected could well be the case with Oxx stating that even good ground would not be perfect for STS).

Last edited:
Do not know where they have gone.

As for the ground, it is a lovely sunny and bright day today but the forecast is patchy for the next two days. My hunch would be that the word Good is likely to appear unless they get an absolute down pour. They were good to firm before the rains arrived yesterday.

As for the ground, it is a lovely sunny and bright day today but the forecast is patchy for the next two days. My hunch would be that the word Good is likely to appear unless they get an absolute down pour. They were good to firm before the rains arrived yesterday.

What is the shade of green in the grass?... According to Oxx, what is green for most horses is bluish for STS. If it were too blue he may not run even if it comes up good/firm.:)

The ground is Good To Yielding.

I have great doubt about that going description (is that an official description ?) although I can't imagine what could possibly be achieved by giving a false report as Oxx/kinane will obviously walk the course before making they're mind up.

I would be praying STS doesn't run Steve..its only way you are going to collect I fear

He isn't praying just keeping up his rain dance .:p

On a more serious note last night I watched some of the GG coverage on RUK as I had been away when GG was on and missed the Sussex . They included the full interview with AOB after the race in which he amusingly varied between calling Lydia H - Lydia and Olivia - and it was plain when she asked him about the fact that it is STS 3 RVW 0 that they believe that RVW is their best 3 year old colt . He pointedly referred why Murtagh had ridden him throughout and there was no escaping the fact that the reason was that RVW was their best .

This does I suggest , as I have always felt since Murtagh chose RVW over F & G in the Derby point clearly to F & G being in the very good but not great class . It is also consistent I believe with the reason why he has been saved for the ICS and the Arc - he needs softer ground to be competitive with the best over 10f and he is in fact a true middle distance horse . They saved him because they knew he could not compete with STS over 10f on fast ground .

He isn't praying just keeping up his rain dance .:p

On a more serious note last night I watched some of the GG coverage on RUK as I had been away when GG was on and missed the Sussex . They included the full interview with AOB after the race in which he amusingly varied between calling Lydia H - Lydia and Olivia - and it was plain when she asked him about the fact that it is STS 3 RVW 0 that they believe that RVW is their best 3 year old colt . He pointedly referred why Murtagh had ridden him throughout and there was no escaping the fact that the reason was that RVW was their best .

This does I suggest , as I have always felt since Murtagh chose RVW over F & G in the Derby point clearly to F & G being in the very good but not great class . It is also consistent I believe with the reason why he has been saved for the ICS and the Arc - he needs softer ground to be competitive with the best over 10f and he is in fact a true middle distance horse . They saved him because they knew he could not compete with STS over 10f on fast ground .

We've moved on since then. While that may of been the feeling at the time (a wrong one I might add:)). They feel that Fame has improved again since the Irish Derby... be in no doubt that Fame will finish the season as the top-rated Ballydoyle colt and don't be surprised if he finishes the season top-rated colt full stop if he faces STS.

Never forget that I know a bit more about good horses than Murtagh.;)

Who has Fame and Glory beat though thats what you got to ask yourself.

We have seen Sea The Stars fend off;

1. The best milers that could be thrown at him
  2. The best stayers that could be thrown at him
  3. He has beaten a King George, Breeders Cup turf and St Leger winner by 5 lengths at Sandown
  4. He has beaten Ballydoyles beast 3 year old in Rip Van Winkle

Its one of those things you'll look back in a few years and think I don't know why I tried to get the horse beat he was just fantastic.

Fame and Glory hasnt really been breaking new levels each time he has run but rather beating horses we know he could beat, beat nothing in the Ballysaxx, faced the same field again in Derby trials, fairly beaten in the Derby then faced a load of similar faces in the Irish Derby.

Fame and Glory also beat Rip Van Winkle.

The likes of Bago, Hurricane Run and Rail Link hardly had a roll call of high class victims in their Arc years up until the actual race.

not a fully primed RVW over 10f he didn't though

F&G wouldn't beat RVW over 10f nevermind STS

there is a lot of hype surrounding F&G

not a fully primed RVW over 10f he didn't though

F&G wouldn't beat RVW over 10f nevermind STS

there is a lot of hype surrounding F&G

Ha ha...there was plenty of it about about RVW too!!

Back