Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

Going to pop in there this evo with the sheikhometre to check myself......don't tell anyone.:ninja:

Yesterday evening about 18:00 it actually seemed more gd-fm than good.
I didn't walk the entire course but the straight seemed gd-fm, perhaps the rest was on the good side.

heavy rain last night but the course does seem to be taking it exceptionally well these days. I think Oxx is right the ground will be on the soft side of good if the current pattern of rainfall continues. There is a lot forecast but it is warm...fingers crossed.

Thanks for the report Sheikh...I pretty much thought that it was a genuine enough report.

It will surely have eased after the rain yesterday and last night though.

They only got 2ml of rain last night - no change in the going - Good, Good To Firm in places.

Plenty of rain is forecast though.

Casual Conquest
Fame And Glory
Famous Name
Grand Ducal
Loch Long
Lord Admiral
Mastercraftsman
Red Rock Canyon
Rockhampton
Sea The Stars
Set Sail

Andrew Scutts3.17PM 31 AUG 2009 SEA THE STARS is 4-7 with Paddy Power not to run in Saturday's Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown.
The Investec Derby hero is 5-4 with the same firm to line up against Fame And Glory and, possibly, Mastercraftsman.
Paddy Power spokesman Paddy Power said: "It's the question on everyone's lips, will he or won't he turn up on Saturday. "We know as much only as the next man but judging by the weather I'd say we're more likely to lay the 4-7 than the 5-4.
"It'll be a real shame if the betting is right, as we all want to see him run and we all want to see him win."
Sea The Stars's trainer John Oxx has indicated he will not run the colt in the event of rain making conditions unsuitably testing.
Should he run, Paddy Power make Sea The Stars 4-6 in a match bet with Fame And Glory (11-10).

I think that 5/4 is well worth an interest. Oxx seems keen to run if conditions aren't completely unfavourable, where as before conditions had to be perfect for Sea the Stars to line up.

It has been raining in Dublin for all but about 1 hour today since 9am and the forecast for the next couple of days is similar. Leopardstown is about 6 miles away but I can't imagine the rain is missing the course, maybe someone living closer could say. Leopardstown drains quickly but I can't believe the word "firm" is likely to end up in any going description and it is difficult to see how the word "soft" will be left out.

Hear hear.

I confess I love when Steve goes OTT about one he's latched on to. It's great banter all the way up to the race and great banter congratulating him when he's right or slagging him off when he's wrong. Most of us do likewise now and again. It's one of the things that, over the last dozen or so years, has set this forum apart.

From my own viewpoint, I don't quite share Steve's infatuation with F&G, which I backed heavily in the Derby and was disgusted with the ride it got. I fully expected a different story at the Curragh and so it proved.

However, just as Steve goes with great conviction on the evidence of his own experienced eye, so I go with great conviction on my reading of form and improvement curves. I and one or two others tried to convince the forum of STS's huge ability going into the Eclipse and even the Juddmonte. We gave facts and figures to back up our opinion. Some still doubt them because Rip Van Winkle and Mastercraftsman got close.

I'm on record as admitting that F&G's figure for the Irish Derby is higher than STS's Guineas and Derby. The figures elsewhere still tell me STS will put F&G in his place, all other things being equal.

I was speaking to a good judge - and a huge fan of AOB - the other evening. We hadn't spoken for a few weeks. He asked my opinion of the Juddmonte and to my surprise his opinion was almost exactly as I'd posted on here. "STS is a good five lengths better than Mastercraftsman," he said, and backed it up with just about everything I'd said after the race. (He doesn't visit this forum - he's not an internet kind of bloke.)

Roll on the race. May both horses get their optimum conditions and may we see a real race. I'm as convinced in my own mind that STS will reinforce my belief that he is a superstar just as much as Steve is convinced Fame will give STS a doing. The real shame is that we won't be there together in person to shake hands afterwards, buy each other a drink and look for excuses!

I agree entirely ! Mr Miller is more often right than wrong but I think he is wrong this time .

Though I am very slightly worried that apart from the 2009 Gold Cup the last time I was right and he was wrong was Rakti in the Queen Anne:lol:

It has been raining in Dublin for all but about 1 hour today since 9am and the forecast for the next couple of days is similar. Leopardstown is about 6 miles away but I can't imagine the rain is missing the course, maybe someone living closer could say. Leopardstown drains quickly but I can't believe the word "firm" is likely to end up in any going description and it is difficult to see how the word "soft" will be left out.

Rained from about 13:00, stopped now . Don't think that would have had a major affect.

Did anyone see the ground at Galway. Can't recall seeing flat racing run on anything like that. They weren't so much as staying on as swimming up the hill.

Oxx sounds downbeat in the latest interview and that if he does not run he will be prepared for the Arc !

The ground is Good To Yielding, Good in places.

6mm of rain yesterday.

Forecast - Sunny spells with risk of showers today. Spell of rain, possibly heavy tomorrow. Sunny spells and showers on Thursday & Friday.Dry on Saturday.

The ground is Good To Yielding, Good in places.

6mm of rain yesterday.

Forecast - Sunny spells with risk of showers today. Spell of rain, possibly heavy tomorrow. Sunny spells and showers on Thursday & Friday.Dry on Saturday.

Hope it's still on but it doesn’t look good… Paddy Power goes 4-7 STS not to run and 5-4 against he will run.

BTW thanks for the kind posts from DO, Galileo, EC, Hamm and Ardross (they are appreciated, albeit unnecessary) – I always come back to this forum for the great exchanges between you guys and others on here. We’ve had a fair bit of fun over the past decade or so... May the best horse win!!

Hope it's still on but it doesn’t look good… Paddy Power goes 4-7 STS not to run and 5-4 against he will run.

BTW thanks for the kind posts from DO, Galileo, EC, Hamm and Ardross (they are appreciated, albeit unnecessary) – I always come back to this forum for the great exchanges between you guys and others on here. We’ve had a fair bit of fun over the past decade or so... May the best horse win!!

I think the opposite. If they dodge the brunt on the rain tomorrow I think they will have enough "Good" in the ground after dryish days on Thursday, Friday and Saturday for him to run. It is a dry and breezy day so far this morning and certainly not the rain of yesterday.

Aidan O'Brien is looking forward to the potential re-match between Fame And Glory and Sea The Stars in Saturday's Tatteralls Irish Champion Stakes.
The master of Ballydoyle felt the uneven pace of the Epsom Derby conspired against his colt on their last meeting and was frustrated the pair didn't meet again in the Irish Derby.
On that occasion Sea The Stars was a late absentee because of the soft ground and Fame And Glory ran out a clear-cut winner from stablemate Golden Sword.
"Everybody knew Epsom was a muddling pace and we felt it was possibly a little inconclusive. We were looking forward to the Curragh after that - and while I'm not saying the result would have been different - we'd have had a better handle on it," he told At The Races.
"Fame And Glory went to the Curragh where the pace was even and level and won very snugly.
"We are obviously looking forward to Leopardstown. We know it's back to a mile-and-a-quarter but it will be interesting to see."
O'Brien expects his charge to be at the top of his game at the weekend.
"He had a break and this is the first run of his autumn campaign. We don't think the trip is a problem, we always feel the top mile-and-a-half horses have no problem going back to ten furlongs," he added.
"He has plenty of speed, is a great traveller and is tactically quick early. I'm looking forward to the race."

I think the opposite. If they dodge the brunt on the rain tomorrow I think they will have enough "Good" in the ground after dryish days on Thursday, Friday and Saturday for him to run. It is a dry and breezy day so far this morning and certainly not the rain of yesterday.

I'm heartened by that... I hope you're right!

As do I having taken a little chance on the 6/4! It would be a great race and great for all of you turning up.

From the Irish Times

Last Updated: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 12:00
Leopardstown 'hopeful' of seeing the stars

Racing: Leopardstown remain "very hopeful" that Sea The Stars will run in Saturday's Tattersalls Irish Champion Chase.
The big clash with Fame And Glory was put in doubt by rain on Monday and an unsettled forecast for the rest of the week.
John Oxx is unwilling to risk his brilliant colt on ground worse than good although he has hinted he may run on good to yielding.
Tom Burke, racing manager at Leopardstown, told At The Races : "We are still very hopeful Sea The Stars will run but Wednesday will be a crucial day weather wise.
"We have the forecast of rain and it depends on how much it delivers us. At the moment we are good to yielding, good in places after six millimetres on Monday.
"Tuesday is a mix of sunshine and showers, but nothing serious. There is then rain on Wednesday but Thursday and Friday don't look too bad."

Particularly so with the added bonus of a possible appearance by Mastercraftsman - a hell of a good race.

The best result for my TTF would be Casual Conquest though... any chance?:)

Back