Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

Ground has dried out to yielding - yielding to soft in places. The word soft should be out of the description at some stage today. Lovely bright and breezy morning here.

Showers around but not as many as yesterday......quite hopeful at this point.

Cheers for the updates. If things were to go well weather-wise, would you anticipate the ground being tacky or easy to get through?

I'd be more than happy to back him closer to the day at 5/2 than back him now. If the ground was like it was for Rail Link's Arc, he would need to be over the top to be beaten. Longchamp doesn't take a lot of getting, so anyone who still has doubts about his stamina wouldn't need to be too worried.

I know we all want STS to run. But I've a feeling we're clutching at straws. I'd love Oxx to run him, but in his heart of hearts he knows he shouldn't expose him to the chance of being beaten. Everything will have to be just right now for him to run anywhere.

I know we all want STS to run. But I've a feeling we're clutching at straws. I'd love Oxx to run him, but in his heart of hearts he knows he shouldn't expose him to the chance of being beaten. Everything will have to be just right now for him to run anywhere.

Knowing Leopardstown and knowing how keen Oxx is to run the horse in the race, with the assumption it has had the weather we have had today - I think he will run and the ground will not have the word soft in the description tomorrow and by race time it could be verging on having Good in it.

If that's the last of the showers, and they are supposed to die out.

yielding, gd/yielding in places by the end of today.

gd/yielding by race time.

I disagree Steve. I get the feeling Oxx really, really wants to run Sea the Stars this time (as opposed to the Irish Derby), and he is willing to have less than idea conditions, just not completely unsuitable - just the vibe I get, though i could be completely wrong.

I disagree Steve. I get the feeling Oxx really, really wants to run Sea the Stars this time (as opposed to the Irish Derby), and he is willing to have less than idea conditions, just not completely unsuitable - just the vibe I get, though i could be completely wrong.

You could be right, after all it is just the right type of race for him. Nevertheless, even if Oxx thinks he can win it he's got to measure that with how far he wants to push it outside of STS's 'ideal' conditions.

My own thoughts (very quick ones!) are over 10 furlongs on good to firm, I'd have the horses on the following ratings (what i think their best could be):
Sea the Stars 135
MCM 131
Fame and Glory 131

The question, as you put it in a different way perhaps, is how much the ground will reduce the difference (or improve the two Ballydoyle colts). Hard to say.

I'm not sure 'Sea' needs good ground. I saw him plough through heavy to win a good maiden at leop. He than had Mourayan and masterofthehorse behind him on yielding ground at the Curragh in the beresford. Urban sea has obviously passed stamina so it's entirely possible she's passed an affinity for soft ground too. He is a good actioned horse but so where her others (except perhaps blacksam). I think perhaps the reason Oxx has been unwilling to run on soft ground earlier in the year was because he didn't want to take too much out of the Colt in energy sapping conditions knowing the races he had in front of him.
I suspect he will have a good break after this race (if he turns up) before the Classic.Nothing futher to prove on this side of the Sea.

Firstly if he does turn up tomorrow he will not be racing on soft ground. It will be at worst yielding and probably even better.

If you are a Sea The Stars backer and he turns up tomorrow - I would have absolutely no doubts about him handling the ground - reports from The Curragh suggests he is arguably in the form of his life hence connections are very keen to run him. He'll be very hard to beat - just hope to see him in the flesh!

Oxx walked the track tonight...Sea The Stars runs unless it rains which it is not going to!! Bring it on!

Last edited:
Firstly if he does turn up tomorrow he will not be racing on soft ground. It will be at worst yielding and probably even better.

If you are a Sea The Stars backer and he turns up tomorrow - I would have absolutely no doubts about him handling the ground - reports from The Curragh suggests he is arguably in the form of his life hence connections are very keen to run him. He'll be very hard to beat - just hope to see him in the flesh!

Huge fan since seeing him win his maiden at leop. Backed him at all prices for the Guineas when common opinion was he wouldn't go. Haven't backed him since but when I saw big prices on betfair 2 nights ago due to the rain I availed of it.

To see him run tomorrow will be enough for me regardless of the monetary return should he win. The best I've seen, it,was love at first sight. He will be a legend.

What do Ballydoyle do tomorrow? The pacemakers will go off hell for leather but where does Fame And Glory & Mastercraftsman sit?

Really interested to see how they are ridden. The thinking would be that both would be ridden handy but not sure Ballydoyle will want to have both softened up for a STS attack? The way O'Brien works might he try to have one in front and one behind?

why is MCM even running Gal?

I can't see how he fits in here

F&G will want a strong pace..which won't help MCM

I could understand him having two stayers in there and having the race run hell for leather..then if one does run under par tother could win..but having MCM there.. who would arguably prefer a slower run race ...is puzzling.

I don't see how pace can be a weapon here tbh..either scenario will suit STS

If all 9 stay in, it's hilarious that you can actually make a profit out of backing MCM each-way in this if he places!

Back