Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

why is MCM even running Gal?

I can't see how he fits in here

F&G will want a strong pace..which won't help MCM

I could understand him having two stayers in there and having the race run hell for leather..then if one does run under par tother could win..but having MCM there.. who would arguably prefer a slower run race ...is puzzling.

I don't see how pace can be a weapon here tbh..either scenario will suit STS

MCM has every right to turn up, a length behind Sea The Stars on firm ground but back on his favoured surface today. I would actually back him if I knew for sure what they were going to do with him. There are two ways in which he could go close - He could hang out right out the back and hopes the big two kill each other and then play him late but I would really like to see him ridden handy and really kick it on the bend. Plenty of races have been stolen off the bend at Leopardstown and if the pace is judged right he could nick it.

thought MCM really revelled on hock deep ground though?

will he get pulled out maybe if the ground comes up good?

i would have thought MCM would have been better aimed elsewhere

it makes the race more interesting though..so can't complain

very much looking forward to another STS win:cool:

Yeah, it'll be great to see STS win again but it's not a betting race at all and the only play would be to back MCM e/w as you're surely guaranteed a small profit.

What do Ballydoyle do tomorrow? The pacemakers will go off hell for leather but where does Fame And Glory & Mastercraftsman sit?

Really interested to see how they are ridden. The thinking would be that both would be ridden handy but not sure Ballydoyle will want to have both softened up for a STS attack? The way O'Brien works might he try to have one in front and one behind?

After reading O'Brien's praise for the way Kinane essentially induced the rest of the Derby field to ignore the two pacemakers at Epsom, I'd imagine he'll be wanting to make absolutely sure that doesn't happen again. I can see Mastercraftsman sitting pretty much on the heels of the pacemakers - gives him his best chance in any case in my view, as well as ensuring that the pacemakers aren't ignored.

I think Fag will go for home a long way out. Mcm will try to come late this time.

if the sun comes out the ground could be good by race time, dry night and morning, no wind or sun.

Oxx walked the track tonight...Sea The Stars runs unless it rains which it is not going to!! Bring it on!

Let's hope we get the race we all want. STS has apparently been on course since around 11am walking the parade ring.

The vibes around STS are very strong - has come out of his York race in tremendous order and the yard is extremely bullish.

I/v with O'Brien in which he says SET SAIL will 'set a steady pace for the others' - that'll be interesting to see if he really does, or is just sent out on another Bernie Burnup mission. Oxx happy 'enough' but hardly doing a jig about the ground - 'good to yielding, yielding in places', which, he reminded us, is 'good to soft, soft in places' in Britain. Will the dear horse mind it's not G to F? All to be revealed in a few hours - can't wait to see what I hope will be a good, fair contest, with no daft manoeuvres.

The vibes around STS are very strong - has come out of his York race in tremendous order and the yard is extremely bullish.

The vibes would have be strong for STS to line up. He'll need to be as good as ever and then some. Fame will take some beating today and the Oxx team will be underestimating his ability at 10 furlongs given that they have already beaten him in the Derby. Maybe STS will be more outside his comfort zone today though.

If STS loses it'll be the going.

If Fame loses it'll be the trip.

In reality the best horse will win. What a race in prospect!

Last edited:
STS has the definite all-clear to run. Fantastic!!!!!!!!!

The trainer considered the ground to have improved enough for the four-time Group 1 winner to run in the 1m2f Group 1.
"The ground's not perfect for him but the straight is reasonably good," Oxx said after walking the course on Saturday. "It [the ground] has improved and you couldn't take him out.
"Coming into the autumn we can't expect good to firm so we have to run him to see what his limits are."

Last edited:
looking at Rainbow View's time you would have been expecting her to beat the RP standard by approx a second if the ground was perfect Good..as she was 1.19 slower than standard the ground is about 2 seconds slower than Good..so its just into G/S territory imo

I've never backed him but he's just one of the best I've ever seen. Truly truly magnificent. There can be no doubts now.

Best horse we've ever seen to be honest, those who doubted him will now know why the Sea The Stars fanwagon rolls on so strongly.

Impossible to beat him imo.

Staggering. I think its his most impressive performance yet too. Have to remember ground wasnt perfect too

This is a genuinely great racehorse.

It was a contemptuous dismissal

the words rolls + royce come to mind

he just gets better

Kinane hardly touched him

that was special considering the opposition

hard luck Steve - you stuck to your guns

Last edited:
Back